What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the Sunday afternoon 2pm to 6pm double header does come from the next TV deal, then you'd think that an 11am or 12pm replay of the Saturday night SL match would be a perfect lead in (ie. immediately before or after an hour long panel show).

Leigh.

I would think someone like ONEHD could show the Friday night SL game on a Saturday morning pre NRL on FOx and the Saturday night game on a Sunday. Reckon there would be a decent audience for it nationally.

docbrown

Coach
Interesting ideas, do you work for a tv station - maybe you can make it happen ? Where did you get those ratings figures from ?

I used to do some media analysis but I still pay attention to what's happening.

It's not really up for a TV station - believe me, they struggle when it comes to "big ideas". It would take someone from inside the NRL to come up with a proposal and then offer it to the networks.

But the more variations we have - using the strands of club games, rep games, youth games, state games etc - in multiple potential combinations, the more competitive our bidding will be.

nrlnrl

First Grade
yep, after the next tv deal the pie for NRL rights will be carved up differently to what it is now

I suppose the ideas for tv shows are all about putting forward the right ideas at the right time to the right people. With ratings for league thriving now would be ideal. I just hope people don't rush things to cash in & settle for an inferior product to merely satisfy demand - resulting in a negative impact on rugby league. ( causing immediate & long term damage )

adamkungl

Immortal
I would watch NSW Cup if it was on. An close match of Rugby League is almost always entertaining, even if you don't have your Jarryd Haynes and Todd Carneys doing amazingly freakish things.

docbrown

Coach
Well see if WARL, NTRL, SARL, TRL, VRL, NSWRL, CRL, QRL and perhaps in time also NZRL, PNGRL and the Pacific Islands bodies were united below the NRL at 2nd tier level.

Each would operate their own leagues (acting like divisions to save costs) but coming together at the end of the season when support for those teams is at maximum after grand final wins. I mean - I wrote on here the other day that the Newcastle Rugby League GF last year had 13,000. If in a final they played off against say a Central Coast team, they could most likely draw another 10,000 given their end of year support and if that regional rivalry is build up. I suspect also country league fans could be filled with pride with the fact their town's team will be on national television.

Any game during the season then could be marketed under that banner i.e CHALLENGE CUP - NSW DIVISIONALS with TV games focusing on the larger drawing derby games, teams on winning streaks and top of the table clashes.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I would watch NSW Cup if it was on. An close match of Rugby League is almost always entertaining, even if you don't have your Jarryd Haynes and Todd Carneys doing amazingly freakish things.

The QLD Cup is covered by ABC, but I'm not sure when they show it - might be late night on one of their digital channels. Fox Sports show it & NSW Cup on Wednesday afternoons, not sure if they repeat them on other days though.

I don't know who is responsible for the NSW Cup coverage, I think it's David Tapp commentating & the product looks like that Summertime League show which is very low maintenance. As with the QLD Cup, not a normal Fox Sports coverage, just shown on their channels.

I've watched a couple of games & they are done with a completely different look to the NRL. ie -very basic & similar to the Saturday afternoon game on the ABC in the 80's & 90's. I don't know what the costs are, but the competitions need to be overhauled & hopefully this will happen with the IC.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
When you look at some of the sports ABC is showing nationally on a weekend you think they would be interested in a RL show that covered a round up of RL and maybe a highlights game from the Q'land cup and NSW cup. Surely it would rate better than some of the sport they are showing?

or even SL, they could show the two SL games on a Sunday for example, highlights of each game, 50mins each game, make a nice 2 hour RL show to run on a Sunday. Doubt Ch9 is paying much for SL so wouldn't be expensive I wouldn't think and would be a good ratings winner.

Friday Ch10 2 NRL games 7.30pm and 9.30pm
Saturday Fox Super Saturday 3 games
Sunday (or Thursday night even) ABC SL &RL show 11am - 1pm
Sunday Ch9 2 live games 3pm and 5pm
Sunday Ch10 7.30pm live game
Monday Fox 7.30pm live game

That would be a good spread for me

Last edited:

Spanner in the works

First Grade
When you look at some of the sports ABC is showing nationally on a weekend you think they would be interested in a RL show that covered a round up of RL and maybe a highlights game from the Q'land cup and NSW cup. Surely it would rate better than some of the sport they are showing?

Current TV rights deal not allowing it?

andrew057

First Grade

or even SL, they could show the two SL games on a Sunday for example, highlights of each game, 50mins each game, make a nice 2 hour RL show to run on a Sunday. Doubt Ch9 is paying much for SL so wouldn't be expensive I wouldn't think and would be a good ratings winner.

Friday Ch10 2 NRL games 7.30pm and 9.30pm
Saturday Fox Super Saturday 3 games
Sunday (or Thursday night even) ABC SL &RL show 11am - 1pm
Sunday Ch9 2 live games 3pm and 5pm
Sunday Ch10 7.30pm live game
Monday Fox 7.30pm live game

That would be a good spread for me

Is the bolded going to be shown on GO or GEM because theres zero chance that Ch9 show Rugby League instead of the National News.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Anyone ever read what it says on wiki about ch9 and the SL?

It says some thing like, Ch9 stopped showing the SL live because of bad ratings.

I watched all the SL on 9 and they never ever showed it live, all I had was a hard time knowing when the merkins would show it.

The last time a regular SL game was shown live in Aus was when Joey Johns played for Warrington and that was on Austar.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
probably edited by some 9 wanker who is full of sh*t

I thought the same thing.

I know it's wiki and all, but if that's ch9's stance, they deserve to lose all RL.

Notice how they got in straight away when all the new channels came along to grab RL?

These merkins are doing all they can to bury it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
and i especially want nothing to do with them after they made the 9 Melbourne boss and former AFL lawyer the CEO of 9

you can see how 9 Melbourne treated RL by not even sticking to their contract and now the AFL bloke runs the whole shop

f**k that. 9 are bad enough as it is

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
yep, f**k 9, any channel bar them.

And if what you say is true ELD and 9 loses the rights in 13, they will end up where 10 was last year.

Pricks deserve it too.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Status
Not open for further replies.