What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nrlnrl

First Grade
My thoughts are that Seven wont be seriously bidding on the NRL due to them dropping the matty johns show and that 10 will be having a run at it due to them putting a NRL show in the programming. What will be liekely in my opinion is NRL for seasons start to finish on 9 and SOO and Internationals on 10.

As mentioned in the thread below, One HD will be having 2 weekly NRL shows ( Mondays & Thursdays )

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=376056&page=3

bobmar28

Bench
I know this isn't as big a deal as the financial side of things, but one thing that really bugs me is fox sports showing the nrl on fox sports 2! As the highest rating sport by a massive margin, you should be on fox sports 1 as a sign of your power. It's not the biggest issue going but it's little things like this which alters peoples perception of the afl and rugby league!

When I go to my local club they have the big screen set on default Fox Sports 1 so you get AFL shoved down your throat unless you complain.

docbrown

Coach
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-close-to-being-finalised-20110208-1alm8.html

It's about the AFL rights deal but it appears to be a well referenced article (for a change...).

There are some things that affect Rugby League here:

Contractually bound partners Seven and Ten are believed to be keen on retaining the status quo, with Seven to keep Friday-night and Sunday-afternoon matches, and Ten having back-to-back games on a Saturday.

Nine has previously said it was interested in broadcasting Monday-night matches, but rival executives have questioned the economics of this, particularly as Nine will soon be heavily involved in the renegotiation of rights for the National Rugby League. Foxtel will have five matches per weekend under the new AFL deal from 2012

However, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou told The Australian Financial Review this week: ''I've been hearing [a deal is] going to be done this week or next for some time now, but I don't think we've got to that stage,'' he said. ''I'd even say we haven't even got to the heavy-lifting stage yet.''
Demetriou's comments prompted Fusion Media strategist Steve Allen to suggest the AFL wanted discussions to continue because it ''seems like the networks might have the upper hand'' and the league may be struggling to secure the price it wants.

Allen said securing the rights could be difficult for Nine. ''The problem for Nine is they can't go back to the way it was 10 or 12 years ago when they used to play AFL in the south and NRL in the north. Neither code will accept that any more because both are trying to get into each other's territory. By our calculations Nine is making a killing on the NRL but we doubt whether AFL is that profitable to Seven, Ten or pay-TV.''

It seems the AFL are protracting it because they're not getting the competition they want. Seems like 7-10's preliminary numbers were greater than 9's from the outset and neither group appears to be budging.

Keep in mind that in theory 7 can afford about $250 million a season for both AFL & NRL rights. If they're not paying through the nose for AFL, it means they'll still have a big pot left over.

Alex28

Coach
It seems from that article that Seven/Ten have made an offer (maybe the $800+ Million that has been suggested around here) and Nine are happy with having the NRL rights and The Footy Show in Melbourne.

Which means there will be no competition for the NRL rights and we wont get near the sums that are being dreamed about.

We will not get the maximum figure we want for the rights until they are negotiated BEFORE the AFL rights.

andrew057

First Grade
Keep in mind that in theory 7 can afford about $250 million a season for both AFL & NRL rights. If they're not paying through the nose for AFL, it means they'll still have a big pot left over.

There wont be enough left over to bid for the NRL rights out right. Which gets back to my question, will the NRL be able to unbundle games like SOO, because Channel 9 dont think they will be allowed to legally.

docbrown

Coach
There wont be enough left over to bid for the NRL rights out right.

From what I've read, 7 have enough capital to do both - almost double what 9 has up their sleeves.

Which gets back to my question, will the NRL be able to unbundle games like SOO, because Channel 9 dont think they will be allowed to legally.

If they can get a combination of 7 & 10/Fox to at least match 9's current arrangement and in the least expand their broadcast scope, then I think they will.

Remember - even after 7 & 10 buy the AFL rights, its still in their interest to drive up 9's payment for NRL rights to destabilise 9 from bidding for other sports.

Doug2234

First Grade
Imagine if Ch9 lost NRL and missed out on the AFL!!

Two and a Half Men repeats all Friday night... LOL. The death of Ch9

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-will-still-finish-second-20110209-1an4b.html

League has the rights stuff but will still finish second
GREG PRICHARD
February 10, 2011

There are variables that could affect the way it pans out, but television industry sources estimate that when the next deals are done, the AFL's TV rights will sell for ''very close to $1 billion'' while the NRL rights will fetch ''at least $800 million''.

Those numbers are based on the contracts running for the same length of time as the current deals. The existing AFL arrangements with free-to-air and pay-TV networks is a five-year, $780 million deal which expires at the end of this season. The NRL's deal, over six years, concludes at the end of the 2012 season and is worth $500 million.

That the AFL deal will be settled first is an obvious factor in that code's favour when it comes to extracting a greater share of the money the interested parties have available for Australian football and rugby league. And the AFL is sure to make the most of its first bite of the cherry.

On the plus side for the NRL is that the game of rugby league is captured much better on television than its rival. League, with its action much more ''in tight'', is made for TV, while Australian football isn't as easy to televise because of the expansive nature of the game, with players spread over a bigger field and long kicking being as important as short passing is in league.

Statistics show league also out-rates AFL on pay TV, which must greatly frustrate league officials, who are forced grimly accept that AFL still manages to pull in more money from the networks.

Why is that the case? And why, if industry sources are correct, is it set to remain the case when the new deals are done?

Those sources readily acknowledge that league is a ''very strong'' product that is in a much better position than it was when its rights deals were last negotiated. One expert described it as the ''best TV product in sport'', and added, ''The NRL will do considerably better financially than it did with its current contract.''

However, those same sources point out that the AFL remains a truly national competition, with teams in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth while the NRL remains focused on the east coast. Sure, Sydney is the biggest market in the country, but while league dominates there and in Brisbane, there is still an AFL presence in those cities that TV types describe as ''significant'' and certainly stronger than the league presence in Melbourne.

''The AFL is a national competition,'' one source said. ''They are the biggest football brand in the country, and since the last rights deals were done they have added two teams.''

Those two teams are, of course, the Gold Coast Suns, which will enter the competition this year, and Greater Western Sydney, which will come in next year.

The AFL has spent a fortune promoting the development of the two clubs, including poaching former league stars Karmichael Hunt for Gold Coast, and Israel Folau for GWS.

It won't really matter if, when it comes to the crunch, neither can play the game. The money spent on them has already attracted priceless publicity for the AFL. And the NRL hasn't anywhere near the sort of money the AFL has to splash around. League expects, with good reason, to significantly improve its financial position when the next deals are done, but the tip is that while it will make up ground on the AFL, it will still be runner-up.

''It [the AFL] is a bigger business overall,'' a source said. ''And that will again be reflected when the deals are finalised.''

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
That the AFL deal will be settled first is an obvious factor in that code's favour when it comes to extracting a greater share of the money the interested parties have available for Australian football and rugby league. And the AFL is sure to make the most of its first bite of the cherry.

i don't buy this seeing last time it was the other way around

Danish

Referee
Yeah that part doesn't make sense to me either.

Last time 7 & 10 were put over a barrel by 9 for the AFL rights because if they lost then they'd have no sports coverage at all for 5 years, making it a "win at all costs" situation. Packer knew it, and so made a ridiculously overs bid knowing full well they'd have to beat it.

I see no reason why the same thing shouldn't happen to us this time round.

AFL's Sydney presence is signifcant?

Their only team hovers around the 50k on TV mark in Sydney. Every other game is lower than the test pattern.

TV types are what we in TV land call thick.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Yeah that part doesn't make sense to me either.

Last time 7 & 10 were put over a barrel by 9 for the AFL rights because if they lost then they'd have no sports coverage at all for 5 years, making it a "win at all costs" situation. Packer knew it, and so made a ridiculously overs bid knowing full well they'd have to beat it.

I see no reason why the same thing shouldn't happen to us this time round.

so you're saying 7/10 to bid an amount ... say 850 Mill for the NRL rights ... forcing 9 to match it ... & they'd have to match it
no big domestic winter sport means they're done as a viable TV network in this country

a reverse of what happend last time round ... ??:p

I like it ...I like it a lot ;-)

Raiderdave

First Grade
AFL's Sydney presence is signifcant?

Their only team hovers around the 50k on TV mark in Sydney. Every other game is lower than the test pattern.

TV types are what we in TV land call thick.

yeah I thought the same
& whats worse is that its getting worse

the Swans TV ratings in Sydney are dropping like a lead weight in a pool
the Lions are holding up a little better , but still not as good as they were 5 years ago

the AFL overall in fact ... is experiencing a drop in ratings nationally
evenallowing for popular sides like Collingwood dominating the comp.

juro

Bench
And yes, the AFL will have 2 new teams in time for the next rights deal.

Where are they? Sydney and just down the road from Brisbane.

What ratings can they expect for these new teams? Half what the current teams in these regions rate.

Wow, you can see why the networks are falling over each other to buy this product!

Doug2234

First Grade
However, those same sources point out that the AFL remains a truly national competition, with teams in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth while the NRL remains focused on the east coast. Sure, Sydney is the biggest market in the country, but while league dominates there and in Brisbane, there is still an AFL presence in those cities that TV types describe as ''significant'' and certainly stronger than the league presence in Melbourne.

There is the winner for AFL. They have the captial cities... the NRL need to push hard for a 2nd Brisbane team, WA or Adelaide for 2013... Central Coast and Central QLD are not going to assist in making the game truly national...

EXPAND FFS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts