What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
And I was under the impression that the clubs had a group that would be conducting the TV rights, rather then Gallop. No?

Quidgybo

Bench
Sure, have an advanced draw....for the first 18 rounds.
Exactly. Even with any move to a fixed schedule, it has to be recognised that there is enormous value in being able to ensure that matches with finals implications are scheduled in the prime timeslots in the later stages of the season. Enormous value for the networks (higher ratings) and enormous value for us (higher rights fees)

Leigh.

docbrown

Coach
I still think we should look at a combination of fixed and floating, with 1x Friday night F2A game, 1x Saturday night Fox game, 1x Sunday F2A game and most Monday Fox games from Rounds 1-20 all locked in at the start of the season. That's enough to lock in all the local derby/rivalry games and leave the rest for top of the table clashes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
One area of the game not yet talked about is Toyota cup coverage. We know that it is equal to or better than viewing figures of S15 on Foxsports yet they are paying in the region of $50mill a year for S15 and NOTHING for Toyota cup. Presumably that will also be addressed in the negotiations?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
One area of the game not yet talked about is Toyota cup coverage. We know that it is equal to or better than viewing figures of S15 on Foxsports yet they are paying in the region of $50mill a year for S15 and NOTHING for Toyota cup. Presumably that will also be addressed in the negotiations?

You would hope so, and seeing as production wise, it costs less to broadcast compared to S15 (because production crew and everything is already set up for the NRL match) a healthy deal is in order for that too.

applesauce

Bench
To be fair PR there are only 2 TC games/week (because of the concentration vs. dilution the numbers can be somewhat artificial).

The vast majority of S15 games are on at midnight, it doesn't mean it is worth $50mill to FOX to have the rights exclusive either. Considering the RU subscribers they get by holding the rights compared to all the people signing up JUST for the TC...

But I hope we get say ~$25-$30 mill/year for the rights (~400k-500k/game)

The other problem is trying to get someone to bid for it to raise the price. Only ONEHD would, but they would only look at it if they got some NRL matches.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore

You would hope so, and seeing as production wise, it costs less to broadcast compared to S15 (because production crew and everything is already set up for the NRL match) a healthy deal is in order for that too.

pretty sure they only paid nothing for the first year

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
this says doesn't say exactly how much they pay http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...it-to-toyota-cup/story-e6frf3qu-1111118123453

Fox Sports commit to NRL's Toyota Cup Under 20's competition

THE National Rugby League and Fox Sports have announced a multi million dollar agreement to telecast the Toyota Cup under 20s competition for the next four years (end of 2012).

National Rugby League Chief Executive. Mr David Gallop, opened the game’s Annual Conference with the news that Fox Sports will telecast two matches each week, demonstrating their commitment to every level of the game.

The commitment underlines the success of a tournament which was a major strategic initiative of the NRL in 2008.

As well as launching 52 players into first grade in its first year, the Toyota Cup has ensured a new professional approach to the way players adapt to professional sport and in how they develop off–field careers.

“Fox Sports showed faith in the concept from the outset and they have played an important role in building its value on television,” Mr Gallop said.

“While many of us had considerable hope for what would be achieved, it’s fair to say the Toyota Cup has outstripped even those expectations.

“Today’s announcement reflects our belief that the Toyota Cup has set a new standard in the way we introduce athletes to professional sport.

“Importantly, it will also allow us to return some much needed funding to the clubs in the years ahead.”

Fox Sports will broadcast two live matches from the Toyota Cup each week, with matches scheduled to kick-off Fox Sports’ Super Saturday and Sundays live NRL coverage each week. Fox Sports will also broadcast live coverage of the Toyota Cup Finals series.

Fox Sports CEO David Malone said “The Toyota Cup exceeded everyone’s expectations and has been one of the successes for Rugby League in 2008. To announce that we will extend our successful partnership with the NRL to broadcast the Toyota Cup live and exclusively each week, is a further example of our commitment to this great game."

"The Toyota Cup gives our viewers even more high quality live and exclusive Rugby League each week of the season and has provided a fantastic opportunity for the next crop of NRL stars to be seen on Fox Sports by a national audience every week.”

In 2009 Fox Sports will deliver subscribers up to nine hours of live rugby league coverage each Saturday throughout regular rounds of the NRL.

Fox Sports will also broadcast two LIVE rugby league matches on Sundays, in addition to the successful live and exclusive coverage of Monday Night football.

Fox Sports remains the only place to see every game of NRL each week.

adamkungl

Immortal
Someone should broadcast NSW Cup (I think someone already does QLD Cup?)...higher quality matches than NYC for sure, and would be a good boost to the comp, money that can go straight back into grassroots.

beave

Coach
yeah the ABC broadcasts the QLD cup up here on Saturday arvos, I think foxsports has the replay of it midweek.

Quidgybo

Bench
Someone should broadcast NSW Cup (I think someone already does QLD Cup?)...higher quality matches than NYC for sure, and would be a good boost to the comp, money that can go straight back into grassroots.
One problem is we're not offering a second tier comp with wide spread appeal outside its home state. Some form of national second tier would have a lot more appeal to commercial television and sponsors looking for supplemental programming and exposure for their nation wide networks and products.

Leigh

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Would probably help drag the punters in at the gamesmas well, i like your thinking leigh.

bobmar28

Bench
Well according to Masters article, the NRL is at risk of Foxtel spending all their money on AFL...

If they are going to give it away for nothing, they may as well give it to the ABC...
No f**king way. Those snobs can bid for the rights like everyone else.

smithie

Juniors

OneHD should do a live Saturday doubleheader.

2pm - NSW Cup - Game of the Week
4pm - QLD Cup - Game of the Week

Perth Red

Post Whore
With increased funding there is no reason, NT, Vic, WA, PNG and even some other pacific islands couldn't field sides in the NSW or Q'land cup to make it more appealing to TV. Costs around $750-1mill per team in funding for a NSW cup team I am led to believe.

A well funded 2nd tier comp featuring top 4 Q'land cup, top 4 NSW cup plus the above 4 teams would be quite appealing I'd think, then the 3rd tier could remain NSW cup and Q'land cup and maybe promotion and relegation into the national 2nd tier for NSw and Q'land teams to keep it interesting? Would cost in the region of $20-30mill a year which isn't a great deal of $'s if we get a Billion!

The Harvey Norman Pacific Cup?

docbrown

Coach
With increased funding there is no reason, NT, Vic, WA, PNG and even some other pacific islands couldn't field sides in the NSW or Q'land cup to make it more appealing to TV. Costs around $750-1mill per team in funding for a NSW cup team I am led to believe.

A well funded 2nd tier comp featuring top 4 Q'land cup, top 4 NSW cup plus the above 4 teams would be quite appealing I'd think, then the 3rd tier could remain NSW cup and Q'land cup and maybe promotion and relegation into the national 2nd tier for NSw and Q'land teams to keep it interesting? Would cost in the region of $20-30mill a year which isn't a great deal of $'s if we get a Billion!

The Harvey Norman Pacific Cup?

I don't think you even need to cherry pick team into a whole new comp. You can keep the existing comps and treat them like divisions by rebranding them - i.e. NRL NSW, NRL QLD et al - so no real added cost for the regular season.

Then at the end of the season when fans are maximised for the winning teams, you can have a UK challenge cup style system for all the grand finalists with finals crowds of 5,000 - 15,000 right around the pacific, which could almost pay for itself.

Then during the rest of the regular season you can broadcast the bigger derby games (like the American Football College Bowl system).

That's around 52 regular season games (i.e. 2 per week) and probably around 20-30 finals games. That'd be huge for someone like OneHD.

Call it the NRL CHALLENGE CUP or something like that, and market all those regular season games under the same title.

Quidgybo

Bench
A well funded 2nd tier comp featuring top 4 Q'land cup, top 4 NSW cup plus the above 4 teams would be quite appealing I'd think,
I think you have to go with 18 teams to ensure there is a club available to affiliate with every NRL team (assuming of course that the NRL expands to 18 teams). I'd suggest something like...

8 out 12 existing Qld Cup sides.
3 Sydney teams (Newtown and two others)
1 Southern NSW / Victorian border
1 Mid West NSW
1 New England NSW
2 New Zealand
1 Melbourne
1 Adelaide

That's assuming one of the next two NRL franchises goes to the Reds (otherwise Reds instead of Adelaide). Each club would be its own identiy with no direct link to any NRL franchise other than affliation agreements for loans of excess players from NRL squads. While there are some obvious natural affliations I'd let the NRL teams fight over who gets to affiliate with who to encourage them to treat their affliates very well. And when the NRL moves to 20 teams, 2nd tier expansion to...

1 PNG or NT
1 WA

then the 3rd tier could remain NSW cup and Q'land cup and maybe promotion and relegation into the national 2nd tier for NSw and Q'land teams to keep it interesting?
Would be a bad idea for all the same reasons that promotion and relegation between the top and second tiers is a bad idea. The gap would become too large and it would encourage financially irresponsible management of clubs to avoid relegation / gain promotion. Also risks losing the regional balance of teams initially allocated 2nd tier licenses.

Would cost in the region of $20-30mill a year which isn't a great deal of $'s if we get a Billion!
If you went with a $500k grant per team that's $9m cost per year and $45m over 5 years or $54m over 6 years out of an expected $1b TV deal over the same period. I think that's the smallest amount you could feasibly spend on grants and still end up with stable, professionally run clubs that provide a good support comp for the NRL. Even then I'd still want to see the NRL model of centralised travel funding so it'll still cost a few million over that. As they are trying to do in the NRL set a Salary Cap equal to or less than the grant, but restrict squads to 20 and exempt NRL loan players from inclusion in the Cap. Beyond the central grant I think clubs could expect to get at least another $200k in support from their NRL affiliate as the cost of providing positions for excess NRL players. Letting the NRL clubs fight it out for who affiliates with who should force this cost up over time.

Leigh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.