What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ultimate Tribute

Shark

Bench
Reading the NRL forum I saw this entry from 'Southern Rooster', a some-time LU sparring partner of a few of us:

When I heard this earlier this morning I was stunned. Stunned like I probably have not been before at the death of one of our sportsmen. Rugby League has lost one of it's greatest but the Cronulla Sutherland Sharks have lost there greatest. The heart and soul of the club has passed away this morning. Condolences to all Sharks supporters and to Sludges family.

When I first heard that a Sharks great had passed away this morning my first thought was Greg Pierce.

Cronulla's home ground has more names over the years then just about any other place in the country. They should change it one last time never to be changed again.

Apart from him being in a similar mindset to me when I heard the news, I have to agree that in searching for an appropriate tribute for Steve, Southern Rooster has hit the nail right on the head.

When I head to Cronulla to go to the first home game of Season 2006, I want to be walking through the gates of The Steve Rogers Memorial Stadium.

Who's with me?

i_Luv_Birdie

Juniors
i think that it wuld be a very appropriate thing to rename it
it would meen a lot more heart and spirit from the players and more than anything that no one and no sponsorship deal could take away from us
To the steve rogers memorial stadium!

beekershark

Bench
I agree, and if any future sponsor can't live with the fact it's not changing to suit their needs, find one that will.

Perhaps More realistically though, there are new plans for a new stand in the south western corner that stretches around to the old scoreboard, if a govt grant is approved that has been lodged by the club. If that goes ahead, I think the name is a given .

Shark

Bench
Sure Beeks, but I don't think a stand is enough. A stand would have been named after him had he still been alive. I think we'll still get 'The Rogers Stand', which recognises the entire family and the contribution they have made to the Sharks.

But I really think that in light of his untimely passing and his status within the club, the whole ground should bear his name.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Sludge would not want that.
maybe a stand or more likely, a bar. perhaps the Hill.?
But the ground is what keeps the Sharks alive.

Shark

Bench
I agree he wouldn't want it Reefy...He'd laugh at the idea that people thought that much of him.

All the more reason to do it, I say.

Alan Shore

First Grade
No reason why it couldn't retain sponsorship and be Toyota Rogers Stadium or whatever....

But I like the idea of a statue.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
blacktip-reefy said:
Sludge would not want that.
maybe a stand or more likely, a bar. perhaps the Hill.?
But the ground is what keeps the Sharks alive.

Or possibly the auditorium. Seems to be the central place after games. Would be nice to go to pressos in the Rogers Auditorium or The Rogers Room.

Booyah

Bench
I like the renaming of the stadium idea but I honestly can't see it happening.

I think a grandstand or a bar or something is more likely to happen.

Something should definantly be done as a memorial to the great man, no doubt about that.

fizman

Bench
Personally, I would not like to see the Stadium named after any player. No player, in my opinion is bigger than any club. We MUST recognise our Champions, yes, but to name a Stadium after them, no.

mr_sharks

Juniors
How about Steve Rogers field? Stadium and ground seem to be less personal than field to me.
Steve Rogers, from all accounts (I didnt see him play too much) was a great player, but won't the #1 Shark remain as ET? He played all his games for the Sharks - if I am wrong enlighten me please, just putting across my point of view.

mr_sharks said:
won't the #1 Shark remain as ET? He played all his games for the Sharks - if I am wrong enlighten me please, just putting across my point of view.

hmmm...not to detract from sludge's legacy, but that's a very good point

Shark

Bench
All comes down to circumstances. How many GF's did ET play in? Did he captain Australia? Too hard to say categorically which man was the 'better' Shark. They are both great Sharks. I also wonder if ET would have been the Shark he was if Sludge had not gone before him.

Ask Dragons fans who was better, Langlands or Gasnier. Or Souths fans, Churchill or Sattler? You'll never get an answer.

As for Fizman's concerns...I don't think naming a ground as a 'memorial' elevates that person above the club. If we were to suggest a re-naming of the TEAM, then sure, that goes too far. Not the ground though.

Latest posts