What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wagon Factor

carson

Juniors
Ian Hindmarsh's advantage over Wagon is that he can cover the props, allowing us to have a bench with only one prop on it.

Personally I believe that Prop should be his full time position these days, his performance on the field has been better this season when he packs into the front row. Mind you this kind of contradicts my first point.

When we signed Ian last season I thought the general idea was to shore up the front row.

Bigfella

Coach
He is generally the player given the duty of shutting down the oppositions playmaker.

Colonel one of the greatest individual defensive performance was the semi final we lost, narrowly, to the Broncos (I think it was 2000 from memory) although it was at Olympic stadium so not sure of the year.

He blitzed Darren Lockyer, repeatedly hammering him, often in circumstances where Lockyer had the ball with time and space.

At that time he was without doubt the best one on one tackler in the game.

And although we think of him as lacking the x factor, he was actually responsible for a huge amount of tries and line breaks in 2001.

Good to see him getting back to the level he can play at. Whether injury or otherwise, there is no doubt he has been several levels below his 2000-2001 standards.

Utey

Coach
lucablight said:
A few years ago Wagon was one of the scapegoats after every loss. How winning can change things.

LOL 1 game is a long time in the NRL, 1 Year is just about an eternity.

strider

Post Whore
I could scrounge up some video of "that missed tackle" in the 2005 prelim final if we think wags is getting too much love ... :fist: ..... :lol:

Eels Fanatic

Juniors
It is good to hear some support for my man Wagon.

On his mistakes I won't comment (because we all know how much they hurt), but I can remember many a time where N Hindmarsh has made mistakes and been rather ineffective in his tackling style resulting in added pressure on the team with negative impacts on the result of the game.

My point is, every player makes mistakes if they play for a number of years, but sometimes we overlook some of our better players for the flashier ones.

Even Mason hasn't turned upto some games in the past but he steals all the headlines over the players that actually have made him look better then what he is ie Ryan, Asotasi, Perry, Thurston (when he was there) etc. Therefore the Bulldogs still have Mason only to watch Thurston and Asotasi move on to another side and go great guns. Mason still does his role, but who wouldn't want Thurston or Asotasi in their side at the moment?

Other then that I am happy some of us have poured some very deserved praise on a very underrated player.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Cayless has made mistakes....Hindmarsh has made mistakes....Moimoi has made mistakes...Sterling has made mistakes....Kenny has made mistakes...Price has made mistakes...The lis goes on and on.

I'd rather have Wagon play on our side and shut down our opponents than have him against us.

Pazza

First Grade
i say its his last season at the club. he has been a great servant but time to get some young guys in

Stagger eel

Staff member
<UPtheEELS> said:
He'd be on next to nothing I say. Still, I reckon England may be calling...

if that's the case I'd like to be on next to nothing

[he's on a bit more than that dude , post: -) "]

Latest posts