What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Walking Dead

whall15

Coach
This argument that because the show is about zombies that it gives the writers free licence to be inept is ridiculous.

For instance, Breaking Bad wasn't exactly entirely realistic. For instance, Gus Fring having his face half-intact was hardly realistic but it was entirely forgivable because the show was well written. The Walking Dead is just poorly written in almost every respect.

The writers of the Walking Dead have written themselves into a massive hole of creating this ridiculously large cast full of characters nobody cares about with shitty lines that are poorly acted. They should get rid of Coral, Carol, Eugene and Preacherman at the bare minimum in addition to most of the pointless Alexandra redshirts.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
This argument that because the show is about zombies that it gives the writers free licence to be inept is ridiculous.

For instance, Breaking Bad wasn't exactly entirely realistic. For instance, Gus Fring having his face half-intact was hardly realistic but it was entirely forgivable because the show was well written. The Walking Dead is just poorly written in almost every respect.

The writers of the Walking Dead have written themselves into a massive hole of creating this ridiculously large cast full of characters nobody cares about with shitty lines that are poorly acted. They should get rid of Coral, Carol, Eugene and Preacherman at the bare minimum in addition to most of the pointless Alexandra redshirts.

Doesn't like writing, doesn't like acting, doesn't like story, doesn't like dialogue, doesn't like characters...

...still watches? Go figure.

If nobody cared about the characters they wouldn't still be watching, so fail on that point. The second thing is that it's not just a zombie thing, but the show is based on a comic - a comic. Of course it's not going to be on the same level as something like Breaking Bad. It was never supposed to be either.

The word "inept" gets thrown around a fair bit. Why do people just assume that because they don't like something it's inept? Maybe it's exactly how they wanted it and designed it to be?

Dialogue/characters/story are completely subjective the majority of the time. As always, the option not to watch it is there.

bileduct

Coach
There's also the option to not get so salty about other people's criticisms of the show.

Ed Wood films have a cult following because they are hilariously bad. The Walking Dead isn't quite on that level of ineptitude because there are some obviously talented special make-up effects artists on the show, but the writing is pretty much the same.

whall15

Coach
Doesn't like writing, doesn't like acting, doesn't like story, doesn't like dialogue, doesn't like characters...

...still watches? Go figure.

If nobody cared about the characters they wouldn't still be watching, so fail on that point. The second thing is that it's not just a zombie thing, but the show is based on a comic - a comic. Of course it's not going to be on the same level as something like Breaking Bad. It was never supposed to be either.

The word "inept" gets thrown around a fair bit. Why do people just assume that because they don't like something it's inept? Maybe it's exactly how they wanted it and designed it to be?

Dialogue/characters/story are completely subjective the majority of the time. As always, the option not to watch it is there.

I keep watching because I'm somewhat ocd about finishing shows I've started and I have liked a fair bit of it, though with that said it's really been consistently dire since after the terminus storyline, before that it yo-yoed between good and bad.

The show has really struggled since Shane was killed. The frustrating part is every now and then their will be a brilliant episode but it goes then straight back to shit.

hrundi99

First Grade
There's also the option to not get so salty about other people's criticisms of the show.

Ed Wood films have a cult following because they are hilariously bad. The Walking Dead isn't quite on that level of ineptitude because there are some obviously talented special make-up effects artists on the show, but the writing is pretty much the same.

You criticise it as though you've disliked it for a long time - yet you still watch it.

Why waste your own time like that?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I keep watching because I'm somewhat ocd about finishing shows I've started and I have liked a fair bit of it, though with that said it's really been consistently dire since after the terminus storyline, before that it yo-yoed between good and bad.

Fair enough, must admit I'm a little the same in regards to film franchises, but generally if I don't enjoy a TV show I'll tend to give up on it (and then read spoilers later just to see how it ended with the occasional youtube video if a scene piques an interest).

I must admit I used to be hypercritical of shows/films to the point where it would kill my enjoyment of them. Now I've gone a little bit the opposite. Unless something happens that is completely implausible (such as the whole Glen thing) it just doesn't phase me.

bileduct

Coach
You criticise it as though you've disliked it for a long time - yet you still watch it.

Why waste your own time like that?
Who says I am wasting my time? Just because I think that the writing of this show is highly contrived it doesn't mean I'm getting no entertainment value out of it.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The ep moved the story forward, that was about it really. Not a bad episode, not great either.

Thought the Hilltop looked a little smaller/emptier than I remembered it.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I actually liked that episode, any episode that builds the world buggers is welcome in my opinion. Hopefully Neegan is the big bad guy that this seriously needs after messing up with the governor.
As for criticising the show, well it has so much potential but continually waste it. When you are just about to give up on the show they throw out a great episode that looks that they are finally turning the show around, then it falls back into mediocrity again. The 1st season was great, the rick/shane conflict was the hook that got me going for the first few seasons. But after that the show has plateaued unlike other great shows thst continue to rise as the seasons progress

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I don't think it's plateaued (although I did enjoy the Shane/Rick thing as well). For the most part it's been fairly consistent in regards to how it develops things and tells a story, builds characters, plots episodes/seasons etc

It hasn't always hit the mark for various reasons, but for the most part I generally get what I expect each week and sometimes a little extra. There were some things in the first couple of seasons outside the Shane/Rick thing that were just as awful as some of the things going on now.

18to87

Coach
I have spent the last month watching from episode 1 and finally caught up this week. I don't see why people are criticizing the show. I am now fully addicted and can't wait to watch more.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Negan is an awesome casting. I think the guy will really be a bad ass and will carry the show through season 7 at least. He has been on this season of the Good Wife and pretty much makes love to my fiancee through the TV screen every episode.

My real dilemma now is whether I should buy the comics once season 6 is over to see what happens next...

Pretty sure wikipedia has already told me what will happen in the season 6 finale and it sounds epic.

mackdadday

Juniors
Hoo-eee they gone done did it now! Next week is gonna be a humdinger. I see a few more fatalities on the way.