What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Waqa Blake Fan Club

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
For someone who scores so many tries he's pretty underrated by most fans. He might be the 5th or 6th quickest player in the comp but I hardly ever see him brought up in that discussion.

tripster

Juniors
He has also developed into an excellent defender.

The try he saved against the Warriors was incredible, when he smashed their winger over the sideline. Very few centres could have done that - Mitchell is probably the only one I can imagine would have the speed to cover the distance that he did and the power out knock him over the sideline.

It also came at a critical time in the game. We were up 12-0 and doing a lot of defending early in the second half. Warriors score that try and we could have had a 12-6 score line and whole different game.

mxlegend99

Referee
He has also developed into an excellent defender.

The try he saved against the Warriors was incredible, when he smashed their winger over the sideline. Very few centres could have done that - Mitchell is probably the only one I can imagine would have the speed to cover the distance that he did and the power out knock him over the sideline.

It also came at a critical time in the game. We were up 12-0 and doing a lot of defending early in the second half. Warriors score that try and we could have had a 12-6 score line and whole different game.
No other player in our team has the pace to get there like that. He was in for all money. Unbelievable try saver.

Blake puts in a lot of effort defensively no matter how unlikely saving the try looks. In so many linebreaks he comes screaming from nowhere to often be the closest to stopping a try. Even if its from the other side of the field.

Not saying he's the only one trying when it happens. He's just so goddamn fast he gets close to them often enough to know he tried.

He has a great attitude.

franklin2323

Immortal
For someone who scores so many tries he's pretty underrated by most fans. He might be the 5th or 6th quickest player in the comp but I hardly ever see him brought up in that discussion.

I put that down to injury. Makes him hard to get noticed by others

The Realist

Juniors

He is quick over the 100, but he takes a while to wind up and get into his stride. I doubt he'd be Top 20 in the first 30-40 metres, and probably not even Top 2 in our Contracted players list over that distance.

At the very least Peachy is faster off the mark though his speed tapers very quickly.

TheFrog

Coach
He is quick over the 100, but he takes a while to wind up and get into his stride. I doubt he'd be Top 20 in the first 30-40 metres, and probably not even Top 2 in our Contracted players list over that distance.

At the very least Peachy is faster off the mark though his speed tapers very quickly.
I've always thought he should have some off-season training to improve his speed off the mark.

betcats

Referee
I've always thought he should have some off-season training to improve his speed off the mark.

I’d say he does. I think speed off the mark(line) and leg drive has been a big focus of the teams over the offseason, so lots of sprints and fast feet drills.

Waqa has looong legs and is a big man, he’s always going to take a couple steps to get going. That being said I remember sowie talking about him after he dropped all that weight and saying he is much faster off the mark now.

mxlegend99

Referee
I’d say he does. I think speed off the mark(line) and leg drive has been a big focus of the teams over the offseason, so lots of sprints and fast feet drills.

Waqa has looong legs and is a big man, he’s always going to take a couple steps to get going. That being said I remember sowie talking about him after he dropped all that weight and saying he is much faster off the mark now.
To make the tackle he did against Warriors he had to get off the mark pretty quickly. He might not have Peachey acceleration to top speed. But he's still pretty quick off the mark.

betcats

Referee
To make the tackle he did against Warriors he had to get off the mark pretty quickly. He might not have Peachey acceleration to top speed. But he's still pretty quick off the mark.

Yeah agree he’s pretty good already, he’s never going to be Jennings or Peachey off the mark that doesn’t matter tho. We need someone with his back end speed to finish tries far more than we need a Jennings.

Maloney, peach, Cleary and Dallin are real quick off the mark.

tripster

Juniors
Not many players in the comp have the size and speed combination to cover that ground and then smash a huge winger out like that.

Would we swap Waqa for any centre in the game right now? I wouldn’t.

I certainly wouldn't. Particularly when I think he still hasn't reached his peak.

betcats

Referee
I certainly wouldn't. Particularly when I think he still hasn't reached his peak.

Yep he will get much better. Remember his first year? Overweight, shoddy decision making and he kept dropping the ball over the line! He has improved so much.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah agree he’s pretty good already, he’s never going to be Jennings or Peachey off the mark that doesn’t matter tho. We need someone with his back end speed to finish tries far more than we need a Jennings.

Maloney, peach, Cleary and Dallin are real quick off the mark.
I think any work done to improve acceleration would require him losing weight and cost him a bit of his strength. His power and speed combination is awesome as it is

OldPanther

Coach
Not many players in the comp have the size and speed combination to cover that ground and then smash a huge winger out like that.

No chance. He's my favourite centre in the game.

franklin2323

Immortal

I like both our centres but Whare lacks size and speed so eventually we will get a better option. No such problems for Blake

Matthew Ellis

Juniors

Nah, he's more consistent than guys like Roberts and Latrell. And Inglis is pretty old by this stage.