What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Warriors myth

Where will he Warriors finish the regular season?

• Top 4, they'll come right

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • 4-8 sounds legit

Votes: 32 53.3%
  • They'll miss the 8

Votes: 23 38.3%

• Total voters

Alan Johnson

Juniors
Despite reaching the final I didn't think the Warriors were particularly convincing at any point last year, aside from the second half of the semi against Melbourne (which was the best half of football I've ever seen them play) and it was reflected in the topsy turvy results.

At this point all I care about is defense and it'd be lovely if they'd just make a few tackles. They don't have loads of structure in attack anyway and traditionally rely on specualtive "razzle dazzle" (eurgh) play to get points. That will be much more effective if they're not giving away 16 point starts and running themselves ragged chasing down the dozens of line breaks that are happening each game.

beefstew

Juniors
The Warriors will be a genuine force once they find a coach with the balls to drop the biggest myth of all..Manu Vatuvei.

Bellamy, Bennett, Hasler wouldn't have him anywhere near their teams...so once the Warriors find a coach who will
put the team before his popularity, they'll start getting consistent results, and be taken seriously.

As a team we have so far this season missed over 10% more tackles than the next worst team in he NRL. What makes this especially damning is that we have actually made fewer tackles than most other teams. So making errors, putting ourselves under pressure and getting tired from defending can't be an excuse.

I wasn't a fan of Cleary but starting to question myself. We used to have so much more desperation in defence. Remember games when we were stuck on our goal line, defending multiple repeat sets with great desire and courage. Now every time we defend our line, I expect an easy try.

I admit this probably has a lot to do with Luck and Lillyman's absence too.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Whack Rapira in that lot as well. Been a very udnerstrength pack to start the season off

God-King Dean

Immortal
The Warriors will be a genuine force once they find a coach with the balls to drop the biggest myth of all..Manu Vatuvei.

Bellamy, Bennett, Hasler wouldn't have him anywhere near their teams...so once the Warriors find a coach who will
put the team before his popularity, they'll start getting consistent results, and be taken seriously.

The guy is physically a beast - and that's all he has going for him.

Has hands like feet, & IMO a shit attitude. Dropped the ball 4 times in one game & is laughing about it. Most players would be humiliated.

ozenzud

Juniors
Traded good modern coach for backwards old school coach. The writing is on the wall in my opinion

I add my vote to this comment. Nail on head.

It took Cleary a while but to get it right. There was just a swell of opinion that Bluey was the man and unfortuantely, the warriors management got caught up in it. If they had offered Cleary another 2 or 3 years, we'd be firing I reckon.

I'd be wrapt with a top 8 finish from here. Absolutely wrapt. End of last year, I would have said top 4 easy.

beefstew

Juniors
The guy is physically a beast - and that's all he has going for him.

Has hands like feet, & IMO a shit attitude. Dropped the ball 4 times in one game & is laughing about it. Most players would be humiliated.

exactly, his team mates should stop slapping him on the back when he drops it for the 4th or 5th time,
and let him know he's costing the team games.

7 handling errors vs Manly, 4 vs the dogs, multiple miss reads and missed tackles, it's just a sad
ongoing joke.

Yet everyone in the game and at the Warriors is too scared to tell it how it is.

Bazal

Post Whore
They'll come good. They're missing some important players to start the year, and they are very much the kind of side who will lose games like that occasionally. They play a lot of off the cuff footy and some games nothing sticks. That's the risk they take. But they're also only ever a couple of good balls away from blowing someone off the park. I hate when people say that a side just needs to click...but with the Warriors I think the cliche rings true. What they do is very much based on confidence, and the confidence comes from those plays sticking. When they do, look out IMO. They are very good at going on a run based on that confidence.

I also rate McLennan as a coach, although time will tell if he's the right man for their style...but I think Manu is done. Someone like Fisiiahi, Tupou, Slaimenkel etc must be a better option surely...

I'll revisit this thread once September hits.
People forget Warriors never start seasons strong, so once Round 13 rolls around Warriors usually (Histrorically) get a few conescutive wins together and really give it to teams. Myth meh any NRL fan should know that a team can never be judged after only 5 rounds of competition.

Earl

Coach
Jerome Ropati is a puzzling one for me. I really don't see the attraction Warriors coaches have had towards him.

franklin2323

Immortal
When Rapira, Luck & Lillyman are back & match fit they will be fine. They miss their calming influence & defence

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
They have to do better than make the top 8. IMO, neither the cowboys or warriors can win the premiership unless they get a home final or week off in the finals.

Travel reasons.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It's pretty clear to me there is still more than enough ability there. It's easy to start picking apart the squad when we're losing.

Something is very wrong across the board in terms of fitness, effort, attitude, and attacking/defensive systems across the team.

Latest posts