What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The we must sign Gasnier thread!

RHCP

Bench
Everybody seems to be jumping to conclusions that this has to be some kind of rort. Let the man retire in peace, he's been playing top level rugby league (and union) for the past decade he's played for his state and country, won a premiership, done all there is do. I don't see it as anything sinister, I see it as going out while you're on top rather than waiting until the writing is on the wall (ala Mad Dog...)

He came back to win a premiership with St. George - which he coincidentally did in his first season.

I would have loved to see him in red and blue but I don't think it was ever going to happen.

If Gasnier says he can't commit mentally to St George for another year I don't see why we would want him. He'd be great in a part time role but he expects, as per his interview, a decent salary and says he can't give enough benefit for the money he wants. His future is elsewhere.

Everybody seems to be jumping to conclusions that this has to be some kind of rort. Let the man retire in peace, he's been playing top level rugby league (and union) for the past decade he's played for his state and country, won a premiership, done all there is do. I don't see it as anything sinister, I see it as going out while you're on top rather than waiting until the writing is on the wall (ala Mad Dog...)

He came back to win a premiership with St. George - which he coincidentally did in his first season.

I would have loved to see him in red and blue but I don't think it was ever going to happen.

This, his just had it and his actually really well spoken and reckon he'd be great as a commentator or on a panel somewhere.

perverse

Referee
in the Origin '06 series i believe, too (the series after Joey mopped the floor with QLD's face).

Big Tim

First Grade

Whether it is a rort or not, it sets a precedent for the rest of the league.

We could do the same thing with Bedsy. If you cant see how that would put is at a massive advantage over every body else following the salary cap, then you are as blinded as the Dragons fans.

RHCP

Bench
I can see the advantages. Bedsy signs for four, first season $100K, subsequent seasons $300K ea, only to retire after season one and walk into a cushy post football job.

I have no doubt that is not what happened with Gasnier, but it does open a can of worms that will be addressed eventually, but only after it happens again.

Big Tim

First Grade
I can see the advantages. Bedsy signs for four, first season $100K, subsequent seasons $300K ea, only to retire after season one and walk into a cushy post football job.

I have no doubt that is not what happened with Gasnier, but it does open a can of worms that will be addressed eventually, but only after it happens again.

And others have no doubt it is a rort.

Either way, its a nice loophole in our abysmal cap system, and the Dragons stand to benefit nicely from it.