What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Willie Mason Superthread

cram

Bench
ABC Radio was reporting this afternoon that NQ would table an offer to BW tomorrow.

cram

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...confident-of-snaring-mason-20100203-ncrh.html

Cowboys' Henry confident of snaring Mason

February 3, 2010 - 2:48PM

North Queensland coach Neil Henry hopes the NRL side can make an official offer to former Test star Willie Mason as soon as possible.
Henry, who met with Mason over dinner on Tuesday, said things were looking "positive" for the club going after the Sydney Roosters forward.
According to Henry the only stumbling block is if the Cowboys board decides not to pursue Mason because of his off-field reputation.
"Willie and I had a discussion last night about the possibility of him coming north, I relayed the contents of that conversation to Peter Parr this morning and he's talking to the board today," Henry said.
"It was a fairly positive conversation, I know Newcastle have weighed in fairly heavily for him too and he is from that area and he's got family up there so he'll have to make a decision but it is looking positive for us.
"We haven't made a formal offer at the moment but I'm probably hoping Peter Parr will talk to the board today and we might be able to finalise something tomorrow."
Henry ruled out any chance of a bidding war between the Cowboys and Newcastle.

Yosh

Coach
Liam I don't get it...

Look at my previous post I am not the Yosh of old man. I critise 'constructively' now. Yosh 2010 is a whole new Yosh you guys watch out!!!

Misanthrope

Staff member
There's no excuse for us not signing him. Wicks was on a contract almost as bloated as his pudgy frame, and Mason doesn't want anywhere near that much. Newcastle's also considerably less of a stinking hot sh*t-hole than Townsville.

aqua_duck

Coach
I hope Onslow can have a talk to him and convince him that Newcastle would be a better choice, surely it wouldn't matter to him if he had to wait an extra day or so for the knights offer

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Hopefuly I'll wake up tomrw morning to the news that Willie ate the contract offered to him by the Cows and has already moved into Newy...

aqua_duck

Coach
Cowboys want Mason but only if price is right
BRAD WALTER

February 4, 2010

Cowboys officials insist they will not get into a bidding war with the Knights over Willie Mason after last night making an offer to sign the out-of-favour Sydney Roosters international.
With Newcastle's football committee yesterday deciding to pursue Mason, the 29-year-old international now has two options for this season and will seek a formal release from the Roosters.
After meeting Mason in Sydney on Tuesday night, Cowboys coach Neil Henry told management he wanted to sign him, and chief executive Peter Parr asked directors for approval to do so. An offer was tabled to Mason's management last night.
Parr said the terms of the offer would remain confidential but it is believed that neither the Knights nor the Cowboys have more than $100,000 under their 2010 salary cap to pay Mason.
However, they may be able to top up the deal by back-ending his contract in 2011 or by offering him a third-party agreement.
The Roosters will not pay out the remainder of Mason's $400,000- a-season contract in full and want to use the more than $100,000 they save to sign another forward before the start of the season after star recruit Jared Waerea-Hargreaves was sidelined for the opening six weeks of the premiership with a dislocated shoulder.
Having already paid Mason $100,000 for the three months from November 1, the Roosters expect either the Knights or Cowboys to pick up the majority of the outstanding $300,000 - or for him to accept less money.
The Roosters would be expected to pay part of Mason's contract but have indicated since giving him leave from training last November that they would not be prepared to let him go to a rival club on a second tier contract or for the NRL's minimum wage of $55,000.
Mason has since had his leave extended three times and is yet to train with the Roosters during the off-season but has been working on his own to stay fit.
With the first trial of the NRL pre-season this Sunday between South Sydney and Manly at Redfern Oval, all clubs are keen to finalise their rosters and it is expected that Mason's future will be resolved quickly.
Knights recruitment manager Keith Onslow, who signed Mason to his first contract as a teenager with the Hunter Mariners and helped him relocate to the Bulldogs when the Super League franchise folded in 1997, has emerged as a key figure in the negotiations after the club's football committee decided to try to lure the front-rower home to Newcastle.
Onslow is believed to have been in regular contract with Mason during the past week, along with Newcastle and NSW captain Kurt Gidley, and attended a meeting with him and Knights coach Rick Stone on the Central Coast last weekend.
The signing of Mason as a replacement for accused drugs dealer Danny Wicks, who parted ways with the Knights in December after being charged with eight counts of supplying drugs, has received the support of the club's players, fans and sponsors, and there was debate but no opposition at yesterday's football committee meeting.
The move also has the backing of Knights directors after club great Paul Harragon canvassed the five members of the nine-man board not on the football committee, which includes Stone, Onslow, chief executive Steve Burraston and operations manager Warren Smiles.
It is believed that Mason has been buoyed by the support he has received from Newcastle and does not enjoy the same level of support in North Queensland, with a newspaper poll in Townsville finding 51 per cent of fans were opposed to the Cowboys signing him and a number of sponsors expressing reservations.
The opportunity to play with 18-year-old brother Rodney, a member of the Knights NYC team is also appealing to Mason
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...but-only-if-price-is-right-20100203-ndge.html
Firstly surely we'd have more than 100k to play with after Wicks got the arse. There's no way Wicks was on less than 150k at the very least.
Secondly there seems so many reasons for Mason to sign with us and so few for him to sign with the cowboys that if we don't get his signature it has to be viewed as a failure on behalf of management

Last edited:

StinkyPete

Juniors
Firstly surely we'd have more than 100k to play with after Wicks got the arse. There's no way Wicks was on less than 150k at the very least.
Secondly there seems so many reasons for Mason to sign with us and so few for him to sign with the cowboys that if we don't get his signature it has to be viewed as a failure on behalf of management

yeah if he sign's with us I'd say it'd be mainly to play with JT.

perverse

Referee
that's not how the salary cap works. we would have already paid a chuck of wicks' contract for this year before he got the arse. we wouldn't have close to his full contract value up our sleeve.

aqua_duck

Coach
that's not how the salary cap works. we would have already paid a chuck of wicks' contract for this year before he got the arse. we wouldn't have close to his full contract value up our sleeve.
My understanding is contracts start from the 1st of November, Wicks quit the club in December, so he would've got paid for a month and a half providing players get paid weekly. I know for a fact players don't get paid their salary at the start of the year, so worst case scenario Wicks was paid for 3 months, which would work out to be 50k, theoretically we'd still have 150k in the kitty, and I'm pretty sure that'd be way more than enough to get Mason

perverse

Referee
My understanding is contracts start from the 1st of November, Wicks quit the club in December, so he would've got paid for a month and a half providing players get paid weekly. I know for a fact players don't get paid their salary at the start of the year, so worst case scenario Wicks was paid for 3 months, which would work out to be 50k, theoretically we'd still have 150k in the kitty, and I'm pretty sure that'd be way more than enough to get Mason
i can't back this up - but i've been told that NYC players get paid their "salaries" in 2 big lump sums... it wouldn't surprise me if a good part of a first grade contract is paid up front.

remember, wicks took a decent pay cut for the '10 season. he wasn't even getting paid $200k for next year to the best of my knowledge. it was more in the $150-170k range i think. maybe even less.

we may have a bit more than $100k breathing space... but i don't see any reason why it is definitely a lot more than that... which is the point i was getting at. obviously the club would give lower figures to the media, they don't want the "competition" knowing how much bargaining power they have to throw around.

Serc

First Grade
The Roosters will not pay out the remainder of Mason's $400,000- a-season contract in full and want to use the more than $100,000 they save to sign another forward before the start of the season after star recruit Jared Waerea-Hargreaves was sidelined for the opening six weeks of the premiership with a dislocated shoulder.

Having already paid Mason $100,000 for the three months from November 1, the Roosters expect either the Knights or Cowboys to pick up the majority of the outstanding $300,000 - or for him to accept less money.

The Roosters would be expected to pay part of Mason's contract but have indicated since giving him leave from training last November that they would not be prepared to let him go to a rival club on a second tier contract or for the NRL's minimum wage of $55,000.

Am I about to have a fail moment here or would the above mean that we will definitely not be getting Mason? (as cap aside, we really don't have that sort of money lying around)

Yosh

Coach
Ok forget all the technical jargon... So looks like 80% chance we'll sign him right? The other 20% is the JT factor...

I'll take care of JT tonight guys, unfortunate training accident, long term injury coming right up!

Am I about to have a fail moment here or would the above mean that we will definitely not be getting Mason? (as cap aside, we really don't have that sort of money lying around)
Nor do the cows, so you have to wonder WTF is going on. I really see this as an exercise in media guesswork and bulls###. Willie has always made decisions that stun people so who he plays for is anyone's guess. Guess being the operative word. Townsville's local chip wrapper reckons he is all but a cowboy cos he has told the players as much. It is a sourcless load of crap.

Pumba

First Grade
Knights use club culture to lure star
BY BRETT KEEBLE

THE Knights are confident the club's culture is strong enough to accommodate Willie Mason's larger-than-life personality, and that they can provide a suitable environment for him to resurrect his rugby league career.

After a 21/2-hour meeting of the club's football committee yesterday, which discussed the advantages and disadvantages of recruiting the ostracised Sydney Roosters forward, Knights chief executive Steve Burraston said the path had been cleared to open negotiations with Mason.

Knights football committee chairman Paul Harragon, one of four club directors on that panel, then briefed the other five members of the nine-man Knights board Allan McKeown, Leigh Maughan, Vince Murphy, Nick Dan and John Duncan to formally approve that recommendation.

Harragon and Burraston said that once that was done Knights strategic development manager Keith Onslow had permission to speak to Mason and his agent, Greg Keenan, about the prospect of him playing for Newcastle this year.

Onslow was expected to contact Mason last night to start the ball rolling.

"He makes a good fit. He's from Newcastle, his family lives at Charlestown, his brother [Rodney] is already at the club, so I'm pretty sure he'd be interested to have a chat with us," said Burraston, who remained undaunted by drug allegations against former Knights prop Danny Wicks.

Though Wicks is scheduled to face court next month, and speculation remains that other Newcastle players could be implicated, Burraston believed the club's policies and procedures, the approval of sponsors and fans, and the strength of their senior player group would provide the right climate and conditions for Mason to succeed on and off the field.

Burraston said positive feedback from their 10 major sponsors, and a Knights website poll in which 83 per cent of respondents were in favour of having Mason at the club, convinced the committee that they were doing the right thing in pursuing him.

"There was a lot of debate but no opposition. It was things like, 'Are we doing the right thing?', 'Are we sending the right message?', 'Is there a risk?', 'What are the risks associated with it?'," Burraston said.

"Then there was all the positives, like, 'What does he bring to the club?', and 'What does he bring to the football team?'

"After all that we were very much buoyed by the feedback we got from our members and sponsors, who were pretty overwhelming in support of bringing Willie to the club for a number of reasons.

"More than anything, the indication they gave us was that they felt that we had the right policies and the right culture in place that would give him an opportunity to turn around and resurrect his career, and give him the best opportunity to succeed, which was nice to hear."

But if the Knights proceeded as far as securing Mason's signature on a contract for this season, Burraston said they would reserve the right to tear it up if he stepped out of line.

"Any contract that we draw up will have strict behavioural clauses included and we will have the availability to terminate if the need did arise," he said.

Stone, who met with Mason last Sunday night, hoped Mason's friendship with Knights captain Kurt Gidley and long-time relationship with Onslow would give Newcastle an edge.

"I spoke to him [Mason] a little bit about where we're heading and that he could fit into that, and he was pretty positive that he could," Stone said.

"I think Kurt has a pretty decent relationship with Willie, that's for sure. They've been speaking regularly over the last couple of weeks.

"Kurt's the NSW captain, he's our captain, he's obviously a local bloke born and bred and played here all his life, so he understands the enormity of where the club's at.

"It's pretty important to discuss things in detail here and there's some pros and cons, definitely, about a Willie Mason coming to the club.

"But in the end, it was pretty much unanimous that without Wicksy, we could do with another quality forward and these opportunities don't come along every day.

"We believe that our culture is a little bit stronger than it has been . . . it's been building over the last three years and it's probably at its strongest since that '07 season.

"Our senior player group mentioned that they want to be strong on this and they don't want to let the club's reputation be jeopardised in any way. They understand our relationship with the community and how we go is really important for this particular club.

"They hold that pretty highly and understand their responsibilities.

"I think Keith's spoken to him a couple of times in the last couple of days since we met, and it's been pretty positive talking to him and understanding the support he's been getting in the town.

"That support, from the corporates and the punters, has been good, and a good boost for his confidence."

Herald

aqua_duck

Coach
i can't back this up - but i've been told that NYC players get paid their "salaries" in 2 big lump sums... it wouldn't surprise me if a good part of a first grade contract is paid up front.

remember, wicks took a decent pay cut for the '10 season. he wasn't even getting paid $200k for next year to the best of my knowledge. it was more in the $150-170k range i think. maybe even less.

we may have a bit more than $100k breathing space... but i don't see any reason why it is definitely a lot more than that... which is the point i was getting at. obviously the club would give lower figures to the media, they don't want the "competition" knowing how much bargaining power they have to throw around.
willie got paid 100k already apparently from the roosters because he's been on their books for the past 3 months. I the players got paid lump sums Mason would've got 200k already. There'd be no advantages what so ever for clubs to pay big lump sums up front, it'd be a very bad business practice