What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They still don't get it

Loudstrat

Coach
Warren Smith is not mentioned in the article!

I'd love to see a transcript to get context, but Bellamy didnt have to answer in such a way as to rub the salt in.

melb_belle

Juniors
I am tired of the "we dont care what you think" line.

Translated - that means "We cheated to win comps and we dont care if that offended you"

Storm fans complain that THEY didnt rort the cap - it was the club, not the fans - so why are people being bagged by those nasty Sydney people?

The link is in the attitude. Storm fans - like Melb Belle and Noa and Josh that agreed with her - are displaying the same "f*ck you - we dont care what you think - as far as we are concerned we won those comps" attitude that Bellamy, the players and the club display.

Guess what. With that attitude, dont whinge when you are getting verballed for your sh*thouse attitude at Kogarah/Brookie/Ausgrid/Parramatta/Suncorp or wherever.

Makes me appreciate blokes like Lesstar, and the handful of Storm supporters that actually get it, even more.
This is bullshit.
I have never at all ever said that we deserve those premierships, we cheated and were rightfully stripped of them. From day 1 I have always said we deserved punishment, the club wasnt playing by the rules and were dealt with accordingly. I was very disappointed with the club but stuck it out because I love League and love the Storm.
What I dont give a flying about is how you or anyone else thinks i should act as a Storm fan, I am extremly proud of the way they have played this year and am enjoying seeing them run around during the finals.
You all need to seriously move on, get over it and enjoy the football.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade

While I agree with your comment here, this applies to the Storm fans as well. I am sick to death of hearing so many of them moaning and groaning about how they were robbed last year and didn't deserve to get punishment. Like you I agree with the punishment the club got and what the NRL did. All those moves were right.

When everything happened, I was not upset with the NRL, I was upset with the club for even doing what they did.

If the players and the club want to stay on their thinking they deserved to win in those years, fine it's their own prerogative. Perhaps those fan who want to believe they are still innocent, fine their own view, whatever.

I just think that everyone, storm fans, leagues just need to stop discussing this, and bringing it up all the time! This is 2011 not 2010 in reverse.

Noa

First Grade
The Storm shouldn't have had the titles taken off them, that's has achived sfa imo

The Storm shouldn't have had the titles taken off them, that's has achived sfa imo

393-jags-fan.jpg

Loudstrat

Coach
Another example - gallops reception today. The 14000 f*ckwits never booed the architects of the cheating, did they.

This is bullshit.
I have never at all ever said that we deserve those premierships, we cheated and were rightfully stripped of them. From day 1 I have always said we deserved punishment, the club wasnt playing by the rules and were dealt with accordingly. I was very disappointed with the club but stuck it out because I love League and love the Storm.
What I dont give a flying about is how you or anyone else thinks i should act as a Storm fan, I am extremly proud of the way they have played this year and am enjoying seeing them run around during the finals.

Do you give a sh*t about the fans who were cheated by your club's actions?

Do you understand the anger when Bellamy snubs the entire League world saying sh*t like he did?

Last edited:

melb_belle

Juniors
Another example - gallops reception today. The 14000 f*ckwits never booed the architects of the cheating, did they.

Do you give a sh*t about the fans who were cheated by your club's actions?

Do you understand the anger when Bellamy snubs the entire League world saying sh*t like he did?

Have I ever said I dont give a shit about them? NO I however don't give a shit about what they think of the Club or its fans.
I do have sympathy for the fans who weren't able to experience what it is like for the team they support to win a premiership because of our rorting of the cap. However it is over a year old, you can't change what happened in the past and everyone just needs to try and move on.

With regards to Bellamy I can see were he is coming from but that doesn't mean I agree with him. I admit I cringed a little when I read about his comments but what did people expect when he was asked that question? He has been of that opinion since day 1 and it hasn't changed. There is nothing you or I or anyone can do about it so get over it.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

I accept that you are entitled to an opinion - even one I completely disagree with.

What I'd like to know, based on your opinion, is this:

What should happen to an organisation that lies, cheats and steals?

A) Nothing,

B) Have the proceeds of their ill-gotten gains taken away and be forced to compete according to the rules,

or

C) Option B, unless you are the Melbourne Storm.

Kudos to the rational bunch who accept punishment was the only option.
What I'd like to see is a more defined punishment for examples such as this. The first time, the dogs had the year taken from them and kept the players. The second time, the Storm had past achievements stripped and had to shed players.

If this happens again (and I'm not talking about exceeding the cap by misunderstanding conditions related to juniors, match payments for fringe players due to injury, and so on - I'm talking about massive, structured cheating) the only option in my eyes is to strip all records as done to the Storm, and dissolve all the contracts of the top 25 at the club at the end of the season. Throw them all on the open market and limit any one club (including the perpetrator) to a maximum of 3 players from the fire sale.

It's difficult to do from a legal standpoint, but it would certainly make any club and player certainly think twice - not just from a standpoint of their legacy as a player, but as a financial penalty. There simply won't be that much cash to go around.

Harsh, but deserved and that would rip the guts out in a way that would surely send any club running as far as possible from rorts like this.

Noa

First Grade

Im glad you asked what I would have done. Removing our name from the titles was a cosmetic move and nothing else, it certainly hasnt given any peace of mind to Eels or Eagles fans, and in reality it hasnt hurt the Storm enough.

I would have

1) Put a dirty big asteriks alongside our names in the record books stating how much we were over each year.
2) Fine us $5million, maybe distributed too all the clubs
3) Have us play on a reduced salary-cap corresponding to what we were over each year e.g. 900K under in 2011, 700k under 2012, 400K under 2013, 200k under 2015. Imo this would have hurt us so much more and theres is no way we could have kept one of the big 3, so we probably wouldve have shipped out Cronk, Blair, Lowrie and Hinchcliffe as well.

PS. Sorry if format is f**ked up, will fix shortly.

Last edited:

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Im glad you asked what I would have done. Removing our name from the titles was a cosmetic move and nothing else, it certainly hasnt given any peace of mind to Eels or Eagles fans, and in reality it hasnt hurt the Storm enough.

I would have

1) Put a dirty big asteriks alongside our names in the record books stating how much we were over each year.
2) Fine us $5million, maybe distributed too all the clubs
3) Have us play on a reduced salary-cap corresponding to what we were over each year e.g. 900K under in 2011, 700k under 2012, 400K under 2013, 200k under 2015. Imo this would have hurt us so much more and theres is no way we could have kept one of the big 3, so we probably wouldve have shipped out Cronk, Blair, Lowrie and Hinchcliffe as well.

The reduced salary cap option is an interesting one, but the players have standing contracts with the club and that's the legal difficulty that I mentioned in the above post.

I like the idea of taking away the choice from the club responsible of who they get to slice away at the fringes. Take all their lollies away and shame them on the spot then let them try and rebuild from there.
Ongoing penalties would only serve to drag on the affair and as can be seen from the reaction of the fans of the Storm and Rugby League in general, it's not productive.

Noa

First Grade
You could argue that since we were over any contracts signed wouldnt have been registered by the league and thus invalid. All the better players would have picked up a club. As for dragging it on, the existence of this thread makes the point moot. Im sure youll see another pop up, and another, and another. Which happens becasue plenty of fans dont think we were hammered enough. Anyway just my pov, Ill let this thread die now....hopefully

Parra

Referee
I accept that you are entitled to an opinion - even one I completely disagree with.

What I'd like to know, based on your opinion, is this:

What should happen to an organisation that lies, cheats and steals?

They should be punished. And not just BS cosmetic punishments. For this sort of systematic cheating they should have had been banned from the comp for 3 years.

simostorm

Bench
i think the premierships should be given back.. i think once Gallop finishes as CEO the commision will probally re- instate them..

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
i think the premierships should be given back.. i think once Gallop finishes as CEO the commision will probally re- instate them..

Then that's a green light to every club to cheat.

No. You're wrong. The little voice in your head that tells you the difference between good and bad needs replacing, ten in the bin at least.

Last edited:

Latest posts