What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Third Party Payments ~ a crock or what!?

True_Believer

Juniors
I heard it stated as fact, not just a rumour.

Sometimes our club is an embarrassment.

Tell you who's an even bigger embarressment - Newcastle, Gold Coast, West Tigers, Warriors, Souths and Bulldogs. All of them spend more money on TPAs yet finished below us. Could probably throw Panthers in there as well - given the amount of TPAs they spend on retaining players, to only scrape into the 8 is pretty poor.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Weeks said that the effectiveness of the salary cap was demonstrated by the fact that 12 clubs have won the grand final since 2000, a figure which suggests the NRL is the most closely contested competition of any football code in world sport.

"What we have seen is 75% of our teams have won the competition since 2000 and that is significantly higher than any other major sports league in this country or around the world," Weeks said.

Thought the article was about TPA's not salary cap, oh well.

Can't see how by publishing the TPA's are going to solve the issue, players should not be stopped from being sponsored from companies outside of the game. The NRL shouldn't be able to be involved in a negotiation between the club and player.

Marquee player allowances, capped at $600,000 per club. Agree with this however the NRL are in a pickle regarding the TPA's and I can't see how they can stop it.

The NRL are happy as it's not their money and have a competitive comp so it's happy days.

JDHD

Juniors
How is it possible that we only have $26k in TPAs when we have the entire South Coast at our disposal? You're telling me that there aren't any businesses in Wollongong or Hurstville that wouldn't front up $5k here or there for some publicity work from international stars like Frizell or Widdop?

jeffdragon

Bench
Bring it out in the open .
We all know the nrl wants Melbourne to be there,broncos to succeed for ratings .
Broncos don't want a second Qld team in.
Roosters cause of politis,
Penrith cause of gould.
Release it what each team is getting..
But we already know its not a level playing field.

furball

Juniors
The bottom line is that the current salary cap and TPA arrangement is not working and is being exploited. The players association will argue that the cap restricts the amount of money they can earn and their managers and certain clubs will always exploit any loopholes or grey area's that are bound to exist in any rule set up by the NRL.

What options can we take from other leagues around the world. The NBA and MLB have a luxury tax system. Teams are allowed to spend over the cap but are taxed on the dollars they spend over the cap. This extra revenue is generally distributed to the other teams who did not exceed the cap. They tend to also have repeat offender rules which increases the percentage.

If the storm are currently $800,000 over the cap in TPA’s under a luxury tax system it could be.

1 – 200k 25%
201 – 500k 35%
500K or greater 50%

So for the 800k over the cap they would have to pay 1,105,000 or a luxury tax of 305k. This 305k would be distributed to the clubs who have not exceeded the cap. If they have been over the cap for say 5 straight years then every dollar would be taxed 100%.

Since the dollars on offer in NBA and MLB are astronomical compared to NRL, maybe Major League Soccer is a better example to use. They have a hard cap for the majority of their squads but have a designated player rule ( I think it is similar in A League). A nominated number of players per team (I will use 3 as an example) salaries are not counted against the salary cap.

All private player sponsorships organised and registered with the NRL. Evidence of the sponsorship (tv, radio or print ads) must be provided within a designated time or it is considered part of the salary cap. TPA's are just legalised cheating!

If the Titans want to offer a Roosters player 1.5 million a season as a designated player and the roosters already have 3 designated players, they cant offer them 700K and then organise a dodgy TPA to keep them. This for the most part removes the players complaints about limiting what they can earn as 48 players could theoretically earn any amount of money.

There are options that could be explored, but the NRL is to lazy or incompetent to explore.

Gareth67

First Grade
Ugh ! ! 16th place and only $26k . No it must be a mistake and we wonder why the cream of the crop are signing with other clubs . Surely the Joint Venture has a person to dig up tpa's and by that I mean use any means possible to get the companies onboard .

This shows yet another reason as to why the old boys need to be swept from the boardroom and replaced with an administration that can not only be productive on that count , but also make every post a winner . I am just trying to recall the name of the person who use to handle the bullgrubs tpa's a number of years ago , the chap moved on to the big office at rugby league central , whomever it was created a can of very slippery worms .

Last edited:

SGMax

Juniors
Everyone is focusing on TPA's and this is making a real solution even more unlikely.
Forget about the TPA's, they are the player's business and clubs have many other ways of subsidising their contracts outside the cap.

Clubs that are wealthy by any means will find a way to make under the table payments to players.
This includes clubs that own Leagues Clubs and those with links to wealthy benefactors.....ie, brown paper bags, property deals, boats, jobs etc

If we can concentrate on getting the salary cap to be a valid representation of the playing talent / roster, then all these other problems will disappear.
By looking at reporting and registering TPA's you are all being distracted from the real solution in fixing the cap.
Tedesco should be in the cap for at least $1 mil regardless of his Roosters deal and TPAs.
Cronk should be on the books for $1.2 mil regardless of how much the roosters want to pay him.
Same with Thurston, Smith, Slater, Taumalolo, Milford, Boyd, and most of the elite / rep players etc.

This will :
Even the playing field (I don't want to spend my life supporting a club that is disadvantaged unfairly and has no realistic chance of success).
Distribute the talent to show up the elite who are never tested in a team not filled with rep players.
Distribute the talent and put expansion back on the agenda.
Give all fans a chance to support a successful team.
Make the competition more interesting for fans and sponsors.

Gareth67

First Grade
Everyone is focusing on TPA's and this is making a real solution even more unlikely.
Forget about the TPA's, they are the player's business and clubs have many other ways of subsidising their contracts outside the cap.

Clubs that are wealthy by any means will find a way to make under the table payments to players.
This includes clubs that own Leagues Clubs and those with links to wealthy benefactors.....ie, brown paper bags, property deals, boats, jobs etc

If we can concentrate on getting the salary cap to be a valid representation of the playing talent / roster, then all these other problems will disappear.
By looking at reporting and registering TPA's you are all being distracted from the real solution in fixing the cap.
Tedesco should be in the cap for at least $1 mil regardless of his Roosters deal and TPAs.
Cronk should be on the books for $1.2 mil regardless of how much the roosters want to pay him.
Same with Thurston, Smith, Slater, Taumalolo, Milford, Boyd, and most of the elite / rep players etc.

This will :
Even the playing field (I don't want to spend my life supporting a club that is disadvantaged unfairly and has no realistic chance of success).
Distribute the talent to show up the elite who are never tested in a team not filled with rep players.
Distribute the talent and put expansion back on the agenda.
Give all fans a chance to support a successful team.
Make the competition more interesting for fans and sponsors.

Well written SGMax .

Coffs dragon

Bench
Ugh ! ! 16th place and only $26k . No it must be a mistake and we wonder why the cream of the crop are signing with other clubs . Surely the Joint Venture has a person to dig up tpa's and by that I mean use any means possible to get the companies onboard .

This shows yet another reason as to why the old boys need to be swept from the boardroom and replaced with an administration that can not only be productive on that count , but also make every post a winner . I am just trying to recall the name of the person who use to handle the bullgrubs tpa's a number of years ago , whomever it was created a can of very slippery worms .
I reckon Doust's entertainment allowance would be greater than that TPA $26k pa. A friggin poor joke!

WardyRedV

Juniors
Clubs “aren’t” involved in sourcing TPAs. If they are it’s illegal. Maloney got Penrith in trouble for it last year and you can bet the bottom four Clubs on that list will be the ones either owned or in debt to the nrl.

BennyV

Referee
Clubs “aren’t” involved in sourcing TPAs. If they are it’s illegal. Maloney got Penrith in trouble for it last year and you can bet the bottom four Clubs on that list will be the ones either owned or in debt to the nrl.
While that’s true, certain businesses would have a stake in teams without being directly linked. For example, a business based in Melbourne wouldn’t bother sponsoring a player from Sydney, and likewise Brisbane. It’s why these 2 teams have the highest TPA levels.

What this misses, however, are the ‘unofficial’ TPAs...the cash payments, Brown paper bags and so on.

WardyRedV

Juniors
While that’s true, certain businesses would have a stake in teams without being directly linked. For example, a business based in Melbourne wouldn’t bother sponsoring a player from Sydney, and likewise Brisbane. It’s why these 2 teams have the highest TPA levels.

What this misses, however, are the ‘unofficial’ TPAs...the cash payments, Brown paper bags and so on.

The benefits of being a one club city are clear. I was referring to the fact that it’s not the clubs fault we lack tpas as it’s up to the players to source these “personal sponsors”. Although I don’t doubt that on-field results influence companies wanting to have a part of a certain brand but seeing as Penrith aren’t exactly overly successful I can only assume that clubs are definitely behind more than is legal. The title of the thread is correct, they are a crock, it isn’t fair, but there isn’t a way to fix it really. You can’t take it away as it effects the most influential players in the games’ paychecks.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
The benefits of being a one club city are clear. I was referring to the fact that it’s not the clubs fault we lack tpas as it’s up to the players to source these “personal sponsors”. Although I don’t doubt that on-field results influence companies wanting to have a part of a certain brand but seeing as Penrith aren’t exactly overly successful I can only assume that clubs are definitely behind more than is legal. The title of the thread is correct, they are a crock, it isn’t fair, but there isn’t a way to fix it really. You can’t take it away as it effects the most influential players in the games’ paychecks.

Spot on ~~

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All I’m not overly fussed by TPAs and the world is not a fair place. If the Dragons had greater TPA leverage then I’d be wrapped, however we don’t obviously so all these suggestions to even things up, spread the talent, make things a bit too contrived for me.

That acknowledged, I would like the NRL to disclose the total sum of each teams TPA $, not which players are involved nor their quantum share. This would give a sensible explanation as to why some teams seem to be able to secure better overall talent even if fans still grip. If you support a low TPA club then you cheer on the team and hope the club can secure more benefactors.

Finally, I have posted on here that coaches do make a difference but not as much as you think. Being coach of a top TPA club like Melbourne would help the cause.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Dragons TPAs 26k / year!
Melbourne top TPAs at 788k/year.
So let me get this right! Melbourne who have been caught on the biggest salary cap roughts in the past, resulting in being stripped of a few grand finals are now officially being acknowledged by the NRL as the biggest "exploiters" of TPAs. Righhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht.
NRL wake up! and St George management wake up!

furball

Juniors
If the NRL can instigate a Football Department spending cap on each club plus the Salary Cap on player payments, then why the hell can they not cap TPA spending / rorting. Set a maximum limit you imbeciles and no club can breach over.

Because the NRL don't want to put in the effort to enforce it and have basically legalised the cheating that the Storm were caught doing. The way they usually catch a team is through a whistle blower. It is laziness by the NRL who really are a poor organisation. The way it is heading NRL will become like a European soccer league where there are literally a few teams who can realistically win the title.