What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This current Qld team ...

Shorty

Staff member
The backline is one of the most lethal ever.
The forward pack, while being under-rated at times...does have it's exploits.

As for barely beating NSW - Plain and simply Queensland were complacent.
That might sound arrogant (omg!) but this is Queensland's series to lose...there's just too much to develop in the NSW line up.

miccle

Bench
IMO it's the best ever 1-10 that Qld has ever put on the park. Doesn't have the strength in the backrow that we've seen from other sides, nor the bench.

That being said, it's an absolute credit to the NSW team that they made a bloody good match out of it. Particularly after trailing by 16 with a team half-filled with rookies. Honestly, if the Blues selectors can just stick with them for the rest of this year, as much as possible, they're in with a bloody good shot at taking out the series this year or next.

We've got an amazing backline, but Hodges being out will see someone like Rogers or Tonga enter the frame. The depth just isn't there. If we have trouble with the forwards, the likes of Stagg, Parker and Kenny are in top form. We lose two backs, and we'll likely see Tonga and possibly Kemp enter the frame. Scary stuff.

Coaster

Bench
If they had an extra gear to go up - then why didn't they? This is Origin - if you stay in second you lose.

Love how no one credits NSW for keeping the score narrow. As for best ever backline - nowhere near the ones we put on the paddock in the 70'ss and 80's

Qld never got out of second gear IMO, the reason that NSW got close, would have to be a tactic from Qld to make sure you pick the same rubbish again for game 2.

In fact i dont think Qld played well at all, and next game when its on the line, expect a much better performance.

If that NSW side had played there first game at Suncorp, the score would have been in the 60's

RABK

Referee
Any Johns or lewis lead side would beat them, and easily at that.

A lot of that QLD side were there in 2005 when Joey, on one leg, made them look like school boys.

Nothing compares to the class of a Johns, Lewis, Kenny, Daley in origin. No one in that QLD side is near that class.

Any Johns or lewis lead side would beat them, and easily at that.

A lot of that QLD side were there in 2005 when Joey, on one leg, made them look like school boys.

Nothing compares to the class of a Johns, Lewis, Kenny, Daley in origin. No one in that QLD side is near that class.

The whole backline wasn't there. In Joey's last Origin game only six of them were there. Is that 'a lot'?

RABK

Referee
The whole backline wasn't there. In Joey's last Origin game only six of them were there. Is that 'a lot'?

I thought it would be more than 6? Slater, Hodges Lockyer, Thurston, Price, Smith, Civo, Crocker?

Dispute it all you won't though, truth is Johns made Lockyer and Thurston look every bit as useless as Campese and Wallace looked on wednesday.

This QLD side is great, but the blues are just rubbish post 2005. A couple of the Daley and Fittler lead sides would easily account for this QLD side based simply on the forward match up.

I thought it would be more than 6? Slater, Hodges Lockyer, Thurston, Price, Smith, Civo, Crocker?

Dispute it all you won't though, truth is Johns made Lockyer and Thurston look every bit as useless as Campese and Wallace looked on wednesday.

This QLD side is great, but the blues are just rubbish post 2005. A couple of the Daley and Fittler lead sides would easily account for this QLD side based simply on the forward match up.

Lockyer, Thurston, Civinoceva, Smith, Crocker and Harrison.
*edit I was wrong, Slater was in the other match Johns was in*

How can you compare eras though? They wouldn't "easily account" like you say.

Mr Saab

Referee

The backline for QLD in 2005 game three was

Bowen
Sing
Berrigan
Bowman
Ty Williams

Bit different to

Slater
Falou
Hodges
Inglis
Boyd

NSW had

Mini
Tahu
Gaz
Cooper
King

QLD 2005 were totally outplayed, no questions no excuses. Thankgod QLD found some star players with PACE in 2007/8/9

Joker's Wild

Coach
Qld never got out of second gear IMO, the reason that NSW got close, would have to be a tactic from Qld to make sure you pick the same rubbish again for game 2.

In fact i dont think Qld played well at all, and next game when its on the line, expect a much better performance.

If that NSW side had played there first game at Suncorp, the score would have been in the 60's

So you're saying Qld deliberatley played sub par to lure NSW into thinking that their team had a chance and to stop them from selecting a better side for the next game

:lol: Oh the delusions and long bows drawn

Dazzat

First Grade

Johns just gets better [in the minds of Newcastle fans] every year doesn't he ...? :roll:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Good team no question.

But the QLD team of the 80 with Belcher, Beauy, Miles, Meninga, Lewis, Langer, Backo, Gilly, Wally FS etc

I rate higher.

Dazzat

First Grade
Good team no question.

But the QLD team of the 80 with Belcher, Beauy, Miles, Meninga, Lewis, Langer, Backo, Gilly, Wally FS etc

I rate higher.

I'll go along with that ... the games when Sam Backo won Man of the Match awards ... are in my mind the most dominating Queensland sides ever. How could any team stop Meninga, Miles, Lewis, Langer at their best.

And when Queensland was defending, NSW were getting hammered by the likes of Wally FS and Gilly ... awesome to watch.

Latest posts