What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This current Qld team ...

OVP

Coach
Is it one of the best teams of all time ? I tell you what, i reckon they come damn close, I'm struggling to think of even an Australian team that was better. Thoughts ? Flames ? :p

Mr Saab

Referee
Backline is all class. Backrow has some ??? about it in terms of greatness, but they get the job done

Yeah saabs right that backline is qld's obvious strength aswell as the front row.

Thier weakness is thier backrow and interchange forwards but what those players lack in talent they make up in heart.

Dee

Juniors
I thought Myles and Crocker were very solid off the bench. Queensland were always going to win the first match, our combinations within the team are unquestionable, it's been the same backbone for the 4th consecutive year and the talent we have across the park mixed with the sheer determination to win, is an unstoppable formula.

QLD's forward pack definitely deserves more credit than it gets though. They say Origin is won in the forwards, and I don't need to remind you how many consecutive years QLD have won it...QLD forwards easily match and out perform the blues on a consistent basis. Yet apart from Civ and Price, they don't seem to get the big wraps.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Ahh, QLD forwards were dominated in the second half

NSW were gaining metres at will, and restricted QLD's to their 30m line on many occasions.

Cletus

First Grade
Petero was unbelievable tonight. He launched himself like a missile at the NSW players and took the ball up well. He really seems to lift for origin.

Nullajet

Juniors
so this best ever qld side...that struggled to beat a newly formed blues team???

This is the team we are talking about?

Maybe you should go watch some past qld teams on dvd...seriously!! Im talking teams that dominated very string NSW sides!

smacky

Juniors
Thought the blues forwards matched or even outplayed the qld forwards. Just that backline which we cant stop.

badav

Bench
so this best ever qld side...that struggled to beat a newly formed blues team???

Maybe you should go watch some past qld teams on dvd...seriously!! Im talking teams that dominated very string NSW sides!

I dont know what a very string side is, and i also dont know how a team could have struggled to beat another team when they only time they were down on the scoreboard was in the first 3 minutes.

Nullajet

Juniors
I dont know what a very string side is, and i also dont know how a team could have struggled to beat another team when they only time they were down on the scoreboard was in the first 3 minutes.

witty use of pointing out my typo...very original thing to do

So you thought that that Qld side performed like possibly the best ever team to play origin???

You thought they dominated an inexperienced NSW the way one would expect a practically national team would do???

Youre a great judge of football too then...

domwot!!! (yes...you may notice the typo there too)

You knew NSW had nothing. They made ground up the middle but then what ? Never looked like crossing without a few low percentage pieces of luck.

Wake me when Qld get out of 3rd gear.

Dazzat

First Grade
Throw in a Gordon Tallis or a Trevor Gilmeister in that team and it would up with the team of the 80s. They just need one impact forward and it would be an awesome(er) team.

Tiger-lord 75

Juniors

The blues tries came from a forward pass and two fluke deflections of the ball. Could have been 28-2.
QLD only did what was neccesary to get the win, if the blues push them next time you will see that they have at least one more gear that they can go up.

Loudstrat

Coach
If they had an extra gear to go up - then why didn't they? This is Origin - if you stay in second you lose.

Love how no one credits NSW for keeping the score narrow. As for best ever backline - nowhere near the ones we put on the paddock in the 70'ss and 80's

Slackboy72

Coach
On paper, maybe. On the field, no. I've seen better QLD and NSW squads run round.
The fact is they have played against a very weak NSW for the last four origins and a sub-par NSW the two years before that. There performance last night was very ordinary. It was matched by an even more ordinary effort by NSW for all but 70 minutes of the match.

Hanscholo

Bench
I think there have been two better Origin sides. One for NSW and one for QLD going back a few years. You need to remember that this QLD are extremely lucky to have the games refereed in the manner they are. That QLD side would get lapped by the NSW sides of the late ninties if there were fast play the balls.

ParraFan09

Juniors
i think NSW did well in game 1, an inexperienced backline that is up against the all australian backline put it this way for the little time that hodges was on the field he got hammered by jennings then a couple of minutes later jennings stood hodges up, hayne IMO out played izzy, lyon was no match for inglis, and neither mcmanus or boyd did all that much but both played solid. NSW should have won that game the disallowed try against hayne was a bad call. and no way is this the best QLD team it would be up there though.

MacDougall

First Grade
Who would win between;

1. Tim Brasher
2. Rod Wishart
3. Andrew Ettingshausen
4. Laurie Daley
5. Brett Mullins
6. Brad Fittler
7. Geoff Toovey
8. Glenn Lazarus
9. Andrew Johns
10. Paul Harragon
11. David Furner
12. Dean Pay
13. Adam Muir

14. Jim Dymock
15. Jason Croker
16. Jamie Ainscough (wtf?)
17. Steve Menzies

and

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Israel Folau
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Steve Price
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Ashley Harrison
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Dallas Johnson

14. Karmichael Hunt
15. Ben Hannant
16. Nate Myles
17. Michael Crocker

Why on earth did NSW have Jamie Ainscough on the bench in the 96 origin series? We'll play the game under the rules as they stood in 2001 just to be fair to both teams :lol:.

I can't split em. Maybe slightly leaning towards the current QLD team.

Latest posts