What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is getting out of hand

The main problem compared to football is the lack of a transfer fee.

Bingo. That is why signings need to be made a year in advance like this. Obviously the Warriors are not gonna release him from his contract as a favour to the Chooks. The only party that could have an issue with this is the Roosters, if Jimmy suffers a long term injury, some of their salary cap will be sitting on the sidelines. But that can happen to any player already at any club.

Maloney will do his very best in his last season for the Warriors. This situation has been handled as well as it possible could have been by all parties involved, and especially announcing it during the off season, which is the ideal thing to do.

Noa

First Grade
"not ideal", "open to ideas". This merkin just operates on auto-pilot.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
In the background you have player managers - like the great Sam Ayoub.

It would not surprise me if player managers actually received a success fee when a contract was signed. So - the earlier you sign, the earlier he gets his dough.

Zigwaa

Bench
Yes, it's a very bad look for the game.

An off season with trades and free agent signings would fill the time until the next season begins.

Raiderdave

First Grade
so we want the rumor mill to work overtime & speculation to be rife about players leaving a club , cuasing disruption & distraction to that years campaign
would this be better then it being sorted out ... everyone knowing exactly whats going on , no distractions or whispers behind closed doors or lies & betrayal like theres been in the AFL recently

as someone said
do we think so little of our players that we think their commitment to the club they are playing at for their final year would be anything but 100%

its not perfect
its as good as its gunna get ...............

Raiderdave

First Grade
Yes, it's a very bad look for the game.

An off season with trades and free agent signings would fill the time until the next season begins.

if you don't think all the deals would have been done well in advance & the above would be just a w@nk fest AFL style & window dressing

then you are a fool

Vic Mackey

Referee
leaving it til the off season would just let union, esl, afl etc sign have a free shot at our players

i know its not ideal, i remember scott prince signed with the titans before a ball was kicked in 2006 and then played like he was on holidays for the whole season, but its the only way to do it

Zigwaa

Bench
so pretend whats going on now ... isn't going on ... when we all know it is

thats better is it ?:sarcasm:

I'd like to see it all done at the end of the season. If clubs, player and agents supported it's a better way of doing, but as you said if the deals are already done in advance there's not much point, much like the June 30 deadline previously.

Noa

First Grade
so we want the rumor mill to work overtime & speculation to be rife about players leaving a club , cuasing disruption & distraction to that years campaign
would this be better then it being sorted out ... everyone knowing exactly whats going on , no distractions or whispers behind closed doors or lies & betrayal like theres been in the AFL recently

as someone said
do we think so little of our players that we think their commitment to the club they are playing at for their final year would be anything but 100%

its not perfect
its as good as its gunna get ...............

You sort of contradict yourself here. You think theyre professional enough to get on with the job once they sign but a bit of paper talk before hand will unsettle the poor little darlings, please. Anyway paper talk is good, puts the teams and the game in the news which sponsors love. If you ask me its by far the lesser of 2 evils. And as for the threat of Union or AFL, lets not jump at shadows. Most elite players stay at there current club which means they can negotiate a new contract anytime.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I'd like to see it all done at the end of the season. If clubs, player and agents supported it's a better way of doing, but as you said if the deals are already done in advance there's not much point, much like the June 30 deadline previously.

we'd all like it
it won't happen .... this is a professional sport
whats different about ours is we're up front about this type of thing

most other sports pretend it doesn't go on
but everyone knows it does , anyone who thinks it doesn't are fools

Valheru

Coach
The Maloney situation is a lot less messy than it could be due to the fact that the Warriors have known for a while he wants to return to Australia.

I still believe there is a good chance of some type of deal being struck for him to be at the roosters next year.

Raiderdave

First Grade
You sort of contradict yourself here. You think theyre professional enough to get on with the job once they sign but a bit of paper talk before hand will unsettle the poor little darlings, please. Anyway paper talk is good, puts the teams and the game in the news which sponsors love. If you ask me its by far the lesser of 2 evils. And as for the threat of Union or AFL, lets not jump at shadows. Most elite players stay at there current club which means they can negotiate a new contract anytime.

under a ban ... they're not allowed to even talk to another club
of course this is fairy land & of course they do
but the system has them not being allowed to state their intentions to their team mates ... their coach , & their fans

of course its disruptive to everyone associated with the club
the only way its not .. is the present system.
they are professional enough to get on with it under this system , not under a fools paradise where one is burdend with lurking around like a sneak... is that any more professional
I'd think not.

to do all the dealing at seasons end is not going to work
this isn't the perfect way to do it either
but we don't live in a perfect world.:roll:

krudmonk

Juniors
under a ban ... they're not allowed to even talk to another club
of course this is fairy land & of course they do
but the system has them not being allowed to state their intentions to their team mates ... their coach , & their fans

of course its disruptive to everyone associated with the club
the only way its not .. is the present system.
they are professional enough to get on with it under this system , not under a fools paradise where one is burdend with lurking around like a sneak... is that any more professional
I'd think not.

to do all the dealing at seasons end is not going to work
this isn't the perfect way to do it either
but we don't live in a perfect world.:roll:
Reserving contract negotiations for the off-season is really not as hard as you make it out to be. Any sudden disruption via personnel changes is a very minor concern against the dual allegiances posed under the current system. Simply expecting Maloney to try hard for the Warriors in a game against the Roosters is to view the game sans an emotional element. Are they truly teams that are intensely competing with each other, or just a bunch of men doing a job? The current system paints sport too much as a business, and I think all fans would prefer to think it is still more than that.

Canard

Immortal
In soccer, can't Bosmans (free transfers) be done 6 months in advance as well.

Have 2 transfer windows, big off season, small mid season.

Plus as far as Im aware there are transfer fees if both clubs want to do it(just like in soccer).

Its basically a you pay me money and we will release the guy fee, but it exists.

Eels Dude

Coach
The main problem compared to football is the lack of a transfer fee, which would at least cushion the blow of losing a good player on contract.

Is there anything stopping clubs from doing this already? I'd say clubs aren't interesting in paying transfer fees because they cannot afford to as opposed to it being against the rules.