What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is why players need someone to babysit them in interviews....

Danish

Referee
A couple of haymakers would produce a better product? You're a deadest idiot.

Research has shown that a punch thrown in any sporting code turns mothers (who ultimately decide what sport their child plays) off that code. It's that f**king simple. If you want kids to play our code showing a player punching another player won't attract them.

If you want to impress a bunch of duncesaurs, then haymaker away.

Chook.

Point me to the research, thanks.

I'd also like to see the research that shows mothers are the deciding factor in what sport their son plays during winter. certainly wasn't in my family and in all my years playing sport most kids were brought to the ground by the dads, not their mums.

Frankly if there are kids out there who want to play league but mumsy won't let them, then perhaps dad should step up to the plate and take them themselves.

Chook

First Grade
SOO 2 was a niggleathon, but only because the refs were gutless in policing the ruck.

Not every fan hates the no punch rule. In fact some of us think it's a great idea. And I'd much rather pander to mothers than to a bunch of no neck idiots who think a punch proves something.

Chook.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Hockey is a distant 4th in America. The NBA has become more mainstream since it cleaned itself up.

Rugby League cannot grow if you people drag it into the past. You had close to a century of bashing each other and all that other old fashioned crap and how far did the game grow? Half of Australia can't tell the difference between union and league. It's nonexistant outside of a few towns in England.

Pandering to the 20th century dinosaurs is not the way to grow the game

Yep.

Because punching is banned expect to see the ShangHai Hurricanes in the Global Rugby League. That sounds familiar.

How popular is boxing?

Mr Spock!

Referee
SOO 2 was a niggleathon, but only because the refs were gutless in policing the ruck.

Not every fan hates the no punch rule. In fact some of us think it's a great idea. And I'd much rather pander to mothers than to a bunch of no neck idiots who think a punch proves something.

Chook.

BS. My parents weren't worried about me being punched in a game and that doesn't worry me about mine.

Chook

First Grade
Point me to the research, thanks.

I'd also like to see the research that shows mothers are the deciding factor in what sport their son plays during winter. certainly wasn't in my family and in all my years playing sport most kids were brought to the ground by the dads, not their mums.

Frankly if there are kids out there who want to play league but mumsy won't let them, then perhaps dad should step up to the plate and take them themselves.

Try the NRL, they have mentioned this research on numerous occasions as evidence why their no punch rule should be implemented.

Maybe haymaker the mum is she doesn't agree eh? That's what you're sounding like dude.

You want research showing mothers are the deciding factor? Obviously not married are you.

Chook.

Danish

Referee
Try the NRL, they have mentioned this research on numerous occasions as evidence why their no punch rule should be implemented.

Maybe haymaker the mum is she doesn't agree eh? That's what you're sounding like dude.

You want research showing mothers are the deciding factor? Obviously not married are you.

Chook.

I'm been married for 5 years. My wife knows more about league than anyone I know and would trounce most on this forum with her league knowledge. Whenever we have a son he'll be playing league from an early age (assuming he wants to, of course).

The NRL didn't mention any research at all when banning punches. They went from no one giving a toss about it before origin 1 last year to straight banning them days after the game so its hardly like they went around polling mothers in the street before deciding on their ban. They simply used the hysterical "won't somebody think of the children" method and assumed that the occasional punch in the game might scare off parents and went with it.

LazyDreamer

Bench
I'm been married for 5 years. My wife knows more about league than anyone I know and would trounce most on this forum with her league knowledge. Whenever we have a son he'll be playing league from an early age (assuming he wants to, of course).

The NRL didn't mention any research at all when banning punches. They went from no one giving a toss about it before origin 1 last year to straight banning them days after the game so its hardly like they went around polling mothers in the street before deciding on their ban. They simply used the hysterical "won't somebody think of the children" method and assumed that the occasional punch in the game might scare off parents and went with it.

This.

And as for the original premise of this thread - players saying stupid things - Minichello on whichever of the plethora of Fox league shows the other night invented a new word: "arosen". For when you're unsure whether to use 'arose' or 'arisen'.

JJ

Immortal
pretty simplistic to suggest that the reason for all the niggle is a lack of punching...

But then Bird and Gallen are not geniuses

Chook

First Grade

Dave Smith has mentioned it a number of times.

No one giving a toss about it? It's been discussed and debated for years.

Police the ruck and you won't have the niggle.
With no niggle and no punches = more football played.

And if you want further proof the punch is dead, think of it this way.

Punching another player means he's already won! All you've proven as the puncher is you don't have the discipline to maintain composure in difficult situations and that oppositions teams can goad you into stupidity. Remember the game is not to be taken personally by those who play it, only by those who watch it.

Chook.

Danish

Referee
Yes, more penalties is exactly what the game needs. 18-14 penalty counts each game sounds just f**king peachy.

League works best when it flows with minimal stoppages. Introducing a f**k-tonne of more ways for the refs to get involved isn't going to help anyone. Look at bloody union, absolute NO ONE watches that shit in Australia. Demanding refs penalise the ruck like its netball would send us straight into insignificance along with that basket case sport.

It used to be that niggle only occurred by players willing to throw down. Now any dickhead can give a facial or rub a forearm in someone's face without repercussion. Sure you can blow the pea out of the whistle and ruin every game of league played, but that is not a solution. Much better solution is to allow a bit of niggle and let the players sort out those who cross the line.

If refs blew penalties for absolutely every infringement we'd never see a set go by without someone getting pinged for offside, not square, or something in the tackle. Its just the way the game is played and coached (any coach who doesn't teach his centres to stand offside is an idiot, for example)

Danish

Referee
I actually think we are a good chance of a genuine stink in origin 3. The derplanders aren't happy about losing the series and in their own backyard I think we could see some biff.

It will be talked about for ages and replayed everywhere, including in next year's origin promos.... but they'll suspend those involved heavily anyway.

BunniesMan

Immortal
What research do you need? How many blokes have to drop dead from punches to the head before you realise it's probably dangerous.

It's not cool. It's not sexy. It's not masculine. It's thug behaviour that has no place in modern society and damages the games reputation.

The right answer is to suspend blatant niggling for as much as they'd suspend punchers.

eozsmiles

Bench
I actually think we are a good chance of a genuine stink in origin 3. The derplanders aren't happy about losing the series and in their own backyard I think we could see some biff.

It will be talked about for ages and replayed everywhere, including in next year's origin promos.... but they'll suspend those involved heavily anyway.

Yep. The NRL can say they clamped down on it, Channel 9 get a bunch of promos, and the clubs pay the price. Sound about right.

supercharger

Juniors
it wouldnt be tolerated in any other professional team sport in the world barring Ice Hockey, and even then the participants are sat out for a period of time.

And it will be banned in hockey too. eventually, at all levels like it is now at Olympic, NCAA, CIS levels. I'm tired of it and I'm tired of insufferable morons like don cherry. I don't want to see another Don Sanderson, I don't want to see another player die on the ice as a result of another stupid fight all because of the eight most dangerous words in sports "because that's the way we've always done it" It ain't good enough. Not now, not anymore

Jeff MacGregor wrote a piece last year and asked How much has fighting cost hockey? How many players and how many fans? How many dollars?

The NHL is a $3.5 billion-a-year specialty business suffering serial failures of labor and management, and in which as many as half the teams lose money.

It's impossible to prove the negative, but it's worth asking whether the growth and health of the game have been limited by its addiction to violence and the rough justice of the goons and enforcers. How many kids were never allowed to play? How many tickets were never sold? How many television deals never made? How many hundreds of millions of dollars lost? We'll never be sure. The true cost of fighting in hockey -- and to hockey -- is incalculable.

Is there a single honest argument left on its behalf? Is there any evidence anywhere to suggest that fighting brings in a single 21st century fan or a single 21st century dollar? Does it curb more dire acts of violence on the ice? Or are those just the lies we tell ourselves? Lots of sports prize physicality and sacrifice and high-speed contact -- and duty, honor, loyalty -- but the fighting culture of NHL hockey remains unique. As happens so often in sports, hockey is an institution made great and then imprisoned by its own traditions.

supercharger

Juniors
What research do you need? How many blokes have to drop dead from punches to the head before you realise it's probably dangerous.

It's not cool. It's not sexy. It's not masculine. It's thug behaviour that has no place in modern society and damages the games reputation.

The right answer is to suspend blatant niggling for as much as they'd suspend punchers.

This is from the same article i referenced in my previous post. About fighting in hockey
If you took fighting out of the NHL tomorrow, nothing would change. As Mr. Dryden suggests, it will simply look like NHL playoff hockey. Or European hockey or U.S. college hockey. Nothing of the game's beauty or speed or skill would be lost. The game would be more emphatically itself. Because if the excuse is that you need a low-skills goon to protect your skills player from the other team's low-skills goon, simply doing away with all goons solves the problem. Goons beget goons beget goons. Get rid of goons and what the game has left are all skills players. Only disarmament makes everyone safe.

You have to be taught to fight. There is no more natural occasion for a fistfight in hockey than there is in football or basketball or baseball or rugby.

There is, however, a great deal more he-man self-delusion.

The truth? You fight because they allow you to fight.

Because the roar pours down red-faced out of the stands and those thick-necked old crew cuts rise in their seats and the 10-year-olds pound on the glass. Because it got you here. Because it's what you were taught. Because your team has a boxing coach.

You fight because 150 years of North American hockey demand it. You fight because the culture of the game is deformed around fighting. You fight because you're angry. You fight because they're angry. To fire up your team. To short-circuit theirs. You fight because it feels good to hit another man in the face. Because you're slow. Because you're willing. Because you're afraid not to. You fight. You fight. You fight.

Because Don Cherry. Because Lord Stanley. Because Major Junior. Because Moose Jaw and Saskatoon and Guelph; because Kelowna and Chicoutimi and the 'Soo.

Because.

You fight because you fight.

The idea that fighting in hockey somehow curbs greater, dirtier violence committed with sticks or skates has never had any empirical support. There's no evidence that it's a safety valve -- or even that the game needs one. Bats and clubs and spikes and a hundred other weapons are common across every sport, and yet no other league encourages fighting. It's an absurdity used to sell the game to its old audience, its core constituency, and to sell hockey fight highlight DVDs.

All those ancient, circular arguments. There are always excuses to fight.

Even in a lunch-hour shinny skate in Manhattan. There's a low-contact pickup game at a rink on the West Side. Kids just out of Yale or Colgate or Hamilton up from the investment desks on Wall Street; middle-aged men from the publishing houses in Midtown; actors in from Hollywood on a location shoot. One of whom has backed in and parked himself in the crease for years. And for years I've tapped and hacked and slashed at his ankles without conviction or success. I've never thought of fighting him and he never thought of fighting me. But another well-known actor plays in this game, too, and when he does, he picks fights. He chips. He hacks. He wants to go. He drops his gloves.

The rest of us roll our eyes and skate on.

He fights because he wants to fight.

Bang! Boom! Pow!

Check out the lists of most famous hockey fights here and here and here. Then ask yourself why there's no mention anywhere of Bob Probert's degenerative brain disease. Or Derek Boogaard's death.