What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This weekends team named

Timbo

Staff member
Milne motors into first grade
milne_426.jpg

June 28, 2005
spacer.gif
He’s one of the club’s genuine speedsters, but even Canberra Raiders winger David Milne can’t believe his blistering rise into the National Rugby League.

Milne has been named in the Raiders starting team for this Sunday’s match against the Penrith Panthers at Canberra Stadium.

Centre Adam Mogg returns from a calf injury in another boost to the Raiders backline, while Jason Williams at prop is the only other change to the Raiders’ starting 13.

Milne, 19, received a late call-up from Raiders coach Matt Elliott last Friday, asking him to make his NRL debut against the Cowboys the following night.

He didn’t even get a chance to train with the Raiders, but he made a good contribution off the bench in Canberra’s 23-22 victory.

“[Matt Elliott] rang me on Friday and I didn’t believe it was him at first,” Milne said. “It took about five minutes before I realised I was in the team. It was awesome.

“First grade is a lot quicker than I thought it would be. I couldn’t believe the pace of the game.”

Milne’s progression through the ranks of rugby league has almost been as fast. Milne only took up league when he was 15, but made an immediate impact.

He has twice represented NSW U19s – in 2004 and 05 - and was part of the Junior Kangaroos touring squad last year.

“I never even thought about playing professional rugby league, then I got a call one day from the Raiders who asked me to come down here and have a run.”

Until this week, Milne had been working full-time and training in the evenings. He is contracted to the Raiders until the end of 2008.

“We’re really impressed with David and we think he’s going to be a big part of our future,” Elliott said.

Meanwhile, Williams has been brought into the starting pack to give the Raiders more impact.

“We haven’t been able to give Jason enough time off the bench,” Elliott said. “That’s got nothing to do with his ability, it’s to do with the balance of the team at certain times.

“In the last few weeks we’ve been losing players off our bench to injuries, and that doesn’t really suit being able to use Jason. So we’re looking to get some impact out of him right from the beginning of the game.”

RAIDERS v PANTHERS
Sunday, July 3, 2.30pm
Canberra Stadium

1. CLINTON SCHIFCOFSKE
2. MATT GAFA
3. DAVID HOWELL
4. ADAM MOGG
5. DAVID MILNE
6. JASON SMITH
7. LINCOLN WITHERS
8. JASON WILLIAMS
9. SIMON WOOLFORD
10. TROY THOMPSON
11. KRIS KAHLER
12. IAN HINDMARSH
13. JASON CROKER

INTERCHANGE
14. ALAN TONGUE
15. ANDREW LOMU
16. MICHAEL HODGSON
17. MICHAEL ROBERTSON
18. JOSH MILLER

Timbo

Staff member
Gafa over Ale....Robbo over Ale....A winger on the bench....

I think we'll win but there are many things I don't enjoy about this team.

thickos

First Grade
Good team besides Robbo on the bench, total waste of time.

Miller should drop off, he'd be playing hurt anyway.

I see Frawley is not right to go again.

Maybe Ale is being rested because of the resident's game? Is he ineligible for us?

woodgers

Bench
Is Ale unavailable due to the NSW Residents game? Williams starting could be a good confidence boost for him, I really hope he trains the house down this week and proves himself on Sunday. I am happy about Milne, really happy. In fact there was a split second there where I was had to have a few looks because picking him over Robertson is not Elliott at all. This is a good decision because the Raiders should win well. If they do then the wingers should cash in, so if he crosses the stripe a few times he might kick on much like Chalky.

ausraider

Juniors
Timbo said:
Gafa over Ale....Robbo over Ale....A winger on the bench....

I think we'll win but there are many things I don't enjoy about this team.

It's not the team it's the coach who picks the team that I don't enjoy at all.How the F U C K Ale has been dropped for Robbo and Gaffa.Robbo got smashed against Cowboys,Gaffa well he was pumped up all week by Elliott, than Smith turned up so give him benefit of the doubt but Robbo thats a wasted space on the bench if Miller withdraws.SHOCKING again ELLIOTT.One of the best.

woodgers

Bench
The Colonel said:
Residents players are available to play the weekend before the game.

Beat me to it Thickos!

Thanks Colonel. If Ale plays reggies then I will be furious with Elliott. And some people still argue that he knows how to bring young players through. Maybe Milne has shown some confidence lately and Elliott wants to ruin it like the other kids.

*closes eyes and waits for the Elliott lovers to go nuts*

Edwahu

Bench
Everytime elliot selects a team i think it cant get more ridiculous but somehow he keeps coming up with these gems

Tidus_Raider

Bench
1 Step foward:

Milne on Wing

2 Steps back:

Robbo on bench, Gafa on Wing

FFS how can these players be chosen ahead of Ale

azza

Juniors
Someone tell Robbo that the tryline is located underneath and behind the goal posts, not the place where the touch judges run up and down the sideline.

Stuart

Juniors
Robbo on the bench i really cant understand. He covers wing. Ale can cover wing, centre and if needed can fill in, in the 2nd row, i really cant understand it.

raidersfan

Juniors
Why the fu ck is there a winger on the bench?????????? I'd understand a hooker or a half but a winger? at least put Carney or ALe there too gain Exp.

Mal Meninga

Bench
The only thing I can fault Ale for is his defense but i'd attribute that partly to weather. In saying that, Gafa's nor Robbo's is much better and they both look out of their depth in first grade. I didn't mind Gafa's introduction into first grade a few seasons ago, but then i've realised all he can do is place kick, and he's just too slow if we want to be anything more than easy beats.

Why isn't Frawley fit already... he's yet to string more than 2 games back to back.

Timbo

Staff member
Tidus_Raider said:
You know what's funny. If Frawley was fit, Milne would be in reggies.

Which is kinda fair. He's had a horror injury run, we haven't seen the best of him yet.

Stuart

Juniors
Mal Meninga said:
The only thing I can fault Ale for is his defense but i'd attribute that partly to weather. In saying that, Gafa's nor Robbo's is much better and they both look out of their depth in first grade. I didn't mind Gafa's introduction into first grade a few seasons ago, but then i've realised all he can do is place kick, and he's just too slow if we want to be anything more than easy beats.

Why isn't Frawley fit already... he's yet to string more than 2 games back to back.

Defensivly its hard to seperate, Mogg, Gafa, Robertson and Ale, IMO they are all pretty poor. But i suppose it comes with the territory to an extent. However unlike the others Ale has shown he knows how to score try's...

Latest posts