What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This Weeks Team, plus Webby's 100th

da mad maori

Juniors
back Brent Webb is set to become just the 11th player to make 100 first-grade appearances for the Vodafone Warriors when they face North Queensland at Mt Smart Stadium on Saturday night.
An injury-enforced two-match absence had delayed the 25-year-old’s bid to reach his century before he finishes his five-year stay in Auckland to join English Super League club Leeds.
But the Kiwi international returned for match No 99 against Cronulla last weekend, enabling him to achieve his milestone in front of his home crowd this weekend and against one of his previous clubs.
Webb, born in Cairns but raised on the tiny Thursday Island, was a Cowboys junior before finding his way to the Vodafone Warriors via Queensland Cup side Brisbane Wests.
“It’s nice for Webby to reach this mark before finishing up and heading to England,” said head coach Ivan Cleary.
“He’d been playing really well for us when we lost him for Parramatta match.
“We missed his experience that night and again when we faced Penrith but he made a big difference coming back into the side against the Sharks last weekend.
“That was Awen Guttenbeil’s testimonial game and we came out of it with a decent result. It would be good if things worked out the same way in Webby’s 100th.”
Webb made the first of his 99 appearances against Newcastle in April 1, 2002, and has gone on to score 202 points for the club from 37 tries and 27 goals. Only Stacey Jones (75), Francis Meli (60), Clinton Toopi (57), Sean Hoppe (44) and Henry Fa’afili (3
icon_cool.gif
top his try tally.
Ahead of him on the club’s roll of honour for appearances are Jones (238), Guttenbeil (166), Logan Swann (145), Wairangi Koopu (136), Jerry Seuseu (132), Toopi (129), Joe Vagana (116), Ali Lauitiiti (115), Meli (110) and Monty Betham (101).
Cleary has made just one change in the side he has named to take on the Cowboys, vice-captain Ruben Wiki returning from a one-match suspension which sees Evarn Tuimavave reverting to the interchange bench. George Tuakura, 18th man against the Sharks, drops out of the squad.
Guttenbeil (calf), captain Steve Price (eye), Koopu (shoulder) and centre Tony Martin (neck) all came out of the Cronulla match with injury complaints but a final decision on their fitness won’t be made until later in the week.
Saturday night’s game gives the Vodafone Warriors the chance to snare their 10th win of the year, which would match last year’s overall record with three games still to play.
“It was really important for us to come back from our Penrith performance the way we did last weekend,” said Cleary.
“After losing three in a row, it showed the players had learned. They put in a smart and solid effort in very difficult conditions.”
The 12-10 win also enhanced a points for and against record which is still the third best in the competition. That stands at plus 57 with only Melbourne and the Bulldogs boasting superior records. The Vodafone Warriors rank fifth for most points scored (448) and fourth for the fewest points conceded (391) behind only the Storm, the Broncos and the Bulldogs.
Gavin Badger has been named to referee the match.

VODAFONE WARRIORS V NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS

Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland

7.30pm, Saturday, August 12, 2006

Referee: Gavin Badger

VODAFONE WARRIORS TEAM

BRENT WEBB

PATRICK AH VAN

TONY MARTIN

SIMON MANNERING

MANU VATUVEI

JEROME ROPATI

GRANT ROVELLI

RUBEN WIKI (V/C)

NATHAN FIEN

STEVE PRICE (C)

AWEN GUTTENBEIL

WAIRANGI KOOPU

LOUIS ANDERSON

GEORGE GATIS

EVARN TUIMAVAVE

EPALAHAME LAUAKI

MICHEAL LUCK

SAM RAPIRA

AliN

Live Update Team
the boys will back up nicely after the tough match against the Sharks.
Go Webby, good stuff!

kiwi_man

Juniors
hmmm abit sick of seeing the same team named each week, we now have nothing to lose so i dont see why we shouldnt blood some youngsters, IMO give the players with injuries a rest i dont see the need of riskining further injury, and i will love the day when we see a team named with a real number 6 not a professional dummy thrower

Iafeta

Referee
Nothing wrong with seeing the same team after a win.

Perturbed though why this season we've continued to see Ropo at 6. IMO, the difference between us making the 8 and not is again sometimes the inability to go that extra 1% and close out a close game with a nice creative attacking play. When your second receiver tucks the ball under the wing, one handed at that (not two handed out of in front of him to create suspension of ball movement and therefore players holding off) and then simply just cuts back off the right foot, time and time again, regardless of whether there's an overlap or not, that's tries being missed left right and centre.

I wish he'd take a risk and back himself, because when he first came into grade he had nice sleight of hand. I remember a couple of set move tries, one to Wibby v Souths and one to Toopi v Manly where he did a really, really fine job at drawing defenders and hitting a perfect short ball. Back yourself mate.

Other than that, good team. Would have liked to have seen Luck stay in the starting line up for Koopu, Luck's going very very nicely. Just reward with a meat pie last week.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I can't wait for J'Ros customary knock on early in the tackle count in a vital moment. Nor his excellent last tackle plays and his unwavering commitment to stopping any move once the ball reaches his hands.

jet23

Juniors
I think the team would ideally like to win at least three of their last four games just so they finish within four points of the eight. That's probably why they're putting their perceived best team forward.

Still no sonny fai. I think the closest to him making a debut was last year when he was 18th man for their final game away against manly. From what i've read and heard there's a big rap on him and i'm also quite impressed with what i've seen of him playing in the bartercard cup. I mean we all know what happened the last time a guy named sonny burst onto the scene. Right?!

da mad maori

Juniors
Still got the Tri-Series to come. A couple will be setting goals to make the Kiwi team.
So, there is still a lot of interest.

MarkW

Juniors
Still no Hiho.
Wonder if he'll get another game this season?

Hope Webby's dodgy hip holds up for his 100th.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Koopu's ggooorrrnnneee.

Guess that means smelly Rapira gets a run.

Guttenbiel, Price & Martin are also under injury clouds.

Skinner

Coach
NZ Warrior said:
Koopu's ggooorrrnnneee.

Guess that means smelly Rapira gets a run.

Guttenbiel, Price & Martin are also under injury clouds.

That would make them a tad lightish in the forwards then.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Koopu Out Of Cowboys Clash

Wairangi Koopu has been ruled out of the Warriors clash with the North Queensland Cowboys in Auckland on Saturday night.

Koopu was amongst a group of four players included in the team, but still under injury clouds.

However, coach Ivan Cleary says Koopu has failed to recover from a shoulder injury suffered against Cronulla.

Cleary says the other players are still hopeful but they can not make a call at this stage.

However, he says Koopu is definitely out, which is a big loss for the them.

The other players who remain in doubt are Steve Price, Tony Martin and Awen Guttenbeil.

Own3d from XtraMSN

MKEB...

Staff member
I hope tony Martin gets ruled after that shocking kick from not wide out alone on saturday.