What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thorman rejected our offer

Parraren

Bench
http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyle...e/04/07/28/RUGBYL_Huddersfield_Nightlead.html

THORMAN TAKES GIANTS STEP

England A international Chris Thorman rejected a 12-month option on his contract with Australian club Parramatta in order to return to Super League with Huddersfield.

The 23-year-old Geordie is leaving Sydney Roosters' Great Britain forward Adrian Morley to fly the British flag on his own after cutting short his stay in Australia's prestigious National Rugby League.

The former Sheffield and London Broncos half-back has signed a two-year-old deal with Huddersfield, for whom he played a key role in their promotion to Super League in 2002.

"I had a 12-month option with Parramatta but I have had a bit of a frustrating season and I had a fair few offers from English clubs," he explained.

"I have missed my family and I have missed my friends and the English life, I suppose, but that was not a massive factor. I just weighed everything up.

"The team has probably under-performed and that has had a bit to do with it. I've been in and out of the side but I knew it would be like this.

"I have learned a hell of a lot and, if nothing else, I am going to come back a better player. That was the main aim."

Thorman, who has made six senior appearances so far for the Eels, is in the team to play Wests Tigers this weekend and will see out the season in Sydney before returning home.

The goalkicking scrum-half, who won the man-of-the-match award on his last appearance for Huddersfield in the 2002 NFP Grand Final, will be hoping to pick up from where he left off with London last October.

He helped the Broncos to a fifth-place finish in Super League while his man-of-the-match display in Yorkshire's victory over Lancashire helped him clinch a place in the Great Britain training squad for the 2003 Ashes Series.

His immediate aim is to make the Great Britain squad for November's inaugural Tri-Nations Series, with his new boss, Giants coach Jon Sharp, expected to be unveiled as Brian Noble's assistant.

"That's certainly a goal I have set myself," said Thorman. "I've been happy with my form all season and hopefully I can keep it up to the end because I want to leave on a high."

Thorman's former club London were among the four Super League outfits pipped by the Giants for the prized signature of the half-back, who has fond memories of his three previous seasons at the soon-to-be-renamed McAlpine Stadium.

"I was always going to pick Huddersfield," he said. "I never wanted to leave in the first place.

"I made my home there and I always enjoyed it at Huddersfield. I always had a good relationship with Sharpy and you just have to look at where they are in the table to see that they are progressing year on year.

"And, with the signings they have made, they are only going to go from strength to strength."

Thorman is the Giants' third high-profile recruit for 2005 so far, following the signings of Canberra hooker Brad Drew and Brisbane's Test centre Michael De Vere, and Sharp is hoping to add at least two more squad members.

"This is a great signing for us," said the coach. "Chris addresses a couple of things that we needed to look at, particularly field kicking and goalkicking and he is a ball player as well.

"He's coming on the back of 12 months working with a great coach at a great club and so he's going to be a much improved player.

"We're still looking around for a couple more spots to fill."

Perhaps we aren't very confident of getting this "mystery player" we are rumoured to be chasing if we were willing to give Thorman another 12 months. It's possible Dykes might be hanging around for another 12 months #-o

Eels Dude

Coach
Well i think Thorman made the right decision for himself. Why sitting around earning pittance for playing premier league when he can earn 10 times as much playing in the English Super League. Good luck to him. He's a handy player but would never be an outstanding halfback at NRL level.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he'd be mad to stay if he had big offers

a year in the NRL looks good on the resume, and probably increased his earning ability

Corbin

Juniors
i think he should of been playing first grade this whole season not on the bench or premier league gd luck to thorman i hope he goes well

Unreal V

Juniors
A shame, no other word to describe what Parramatta did to this guy. He played a mere six games, and I think at most two in a row. What chance did he have.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Tragic, been a scape goat when in reality he's form has been very good for a guy who got here in Febuary & had to adjust to a different life style, his game against the Storm showed that he has talent and could be a great asset at an NRL club, all he needed was another season to fine tune his abilities.

BD5733

Juniors
He didn't get much of a chance to show his stuff.

But really, how long shold he have?

I think in todays era, you pretty much need to have a cracker in your first few games or you are nearly thrown on the scrapheap. For example, if Thorman, or any player for that matter, was given 10 or so weeks to come good.........what if he didn't?? Do we all really think us fans would wait 10 weeks to see if a player came good? I think its been proven that if it went bad for just 2-3 weeks there would be more than enough people calling for the head of teh coaching staff for sticking with Thorman.

So basically I think players have just a few games to show their worth and if they don't they're punted. Harsh, but yet to see a better alternative.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
should've given the guy a run at 5/8th,thats his position :?

i hope this guy has a great run and makes the G.B side and cuts the roo's to peices ;-)

I guess we all wanted him to hit the ground running and be some sort of saviour but in the end it just goes to show how far apart the aussie/pommie club standard is.

tiger_nick

Bench
BD5733 said:

I think in todays era, you pretty much need to have a cracker in your first few games or you are nearly thrown on the scrapheap. For example, if Thorman, or any player for that matter, was given 10 or so weeks to come good.........what if he didn't?? Do we all really think us fans would wait 10 weeks to see if a player came good? I think its been proven that if it went bad for just 2-3 weeks there would be more than enough people calling for the head of teh coaching staff for sticking with Thorman.

So basically I think players have just a few games to show their worth and if they don't they're punted. Harsh, but yet to see a better alternative.

Gee you post a lot of shit.

Unreal V

Juniors
BD5733 said:

Talk about crapping on; who is talking 10 weeks he did not even get two in a row, was played at hooker, half back and 5/8 along side Dykes and Witt; was obviously told to hang back. And as for needing to prove yourself in 2 to 3 weeks why are we still persisting with Witt he has had ample time according to your description as to the nature and reality of the game.

The point is he needed to feel his way into the team, to gel to get the chance to get a few combinations going and this was not afforded him.

I think on three occassions he was the eighteenth man and did not get to play at all.

Thats not what I call an investment in a player that has talent.

Any way he will be playing along side Brad Drew next year and I bet they will have a story or two to tell.

bartman

Immortal
Dykes has been given more then 10 weeks at the start of several seasons to click, and it's only injuries that got him out of the side when form wasn't warranting his selection.

Thorman would be maybe fourth choice half for Engalnd at present behind Sean Long - Danny Maguire and Richard Horne have probably jumped ahead of him this season.

And Thorman is apparenty quite happy with Parra and Brian, and would have no hesitation in returning again?
http://www.nrl.com.au/news.cfm?id=9387

bartman

Immortal
Horne and Maguire seem to have been playing most of this season at halfback, to cover injuries at their clubs? Doing a fine job they are anyways...

noosa-eel

Juniors
I hope Thorman kills it back in the uk as i don't think he got a decent go here.
I am with alot of other peoples opinions and i don't think he played that bad compared with others in the team. We really needed a decent 5/8 half combo and he didn't get the opportunity to gel with dykes or witt (forget wags)............ :x

Nikki

Coach
George is a good kid. I just dont think he had what it took to play in the NRL. He was tellin me on Sat Night down in Melbourne how much he was missing his 'Ale' from back home. I am happy that he has decided to go home. I dont mean that in a malicious way either. He has learnt alot over here and will be player of the year next year. Good luck George!!!