What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on Channel 9's commentators

nrlnrl

First Grade
Ok, we've had a few days discussing the Fox Sports crew, what about Channel 9's commentators & panel members from their various league shows ?

Brutus

Referee
I'm a big fan of Darryl Eastlake and Alan Thomas.

Blocker goes well on the sideline.

Big Pete

Referee
In short...

Rabs - Voice of the game, nobody gives the game justice like his voice does.

Sterlo - Great co-commentator. Genuinly likeable due to his humble nature and generally lends some great expertise through his commentary.

Gould - The most opinionated and it can be a good or a bad thing. When he's on, the call is enhanced two fold, when he's off he can dead set ruin a game of footy. I found him more entertaining last season when he was working off Rabs. They made a good duo, like a WWE commentary team.

Voss - A good analyser, solid caller, very opinionated. He's in the same league as Warren Smith but Voss generally knows when he's said enough while Smith always has to get the last word in, no matter what.

Andrew Johns - A plank of wood would be more entertaining.

Wally Lewis - Superior to Johns, but still boring.

Fatty - Generally very entertaining but his analysis is generally poor. Still, I'd have him before Johns or Lewis.

adamkungl

Immortal
I would dislike Voss less if he didn't insist on complaining about things like corner posts just for the sake of it.

Fein

First Grade
In short...

Sterlo - Great co-commentator. Genuinly likeable due to his humble nature and generally lends some great expertise through his commentary.

Gould - The most opinionated and it can be a good or a bad thing. When he's on, the call is enhanced two fold, when he's off he can dead set ruin a game of footy. I found him more entertaining last season when he was working off Rabs. They made a good duo, like a WWE commentary team.

Voss - A good analyser, solid caller, very opinionated. He's in the same league as Warren Smith but Voss generally knows when he's said enough while Smith always has to get the last word in, no matter what.

Fatty - Generally very entertaining but his analysis is generally poor. Still, I'd have him before Johns or Lewis.

My personal opinion, respecting yours of course.

Voice is superb - knowledge of the game atrocious - hopelessly inadequate in keeping up with the play.

Complete and utter tool who is full of himself to Ray Hadley proportions.

An absolute wanker.

Completely ruins any Channel 9 telecast.

Worse than Sterling.

A bit of a knob but not too bad.

He sucks up to his elders in the booth which ruins his own slant - would probably be much better calling a game on his own.

Agreed. Absolutely no idea.

Agreed. Much better analysis of a game in motion than the other wastes of space.

Fatty - Generally very entertaining but his analysis is generally poor. Still, I'd have him before Johns or Lewis

100% agree. He may not be the most analytical of commentators but his entertainment value coupled with knowledge and passion carries him through quite well.

Last edited:
Rabs has been going down hill rapidly over the last few years.
Sterlo is good and knows the game inside out.
Gould is Gould , could you ever like him.
Johns is a waste of space as is Fatty

Overall 9 is crap, commentators , coverage , The footy shows are crap.
The Roast is half decent.

Loudstrat

Coach
So Fein would be happy with Fatty commentating on his own.

Wow - that would appeal to the sub 50 IQ market.

Your comments on Sterling are abysmal.

Fein

First Grade
So Fein would be happy with Fatty commentating on his own.

Wow - that would appeal to the sub 50 IQ market.

Your comments on Sterling are abysmal.

"You are a f**kwit Loudy, a complete f**kwit".

*In a Rabbits voice*

fourplay

Juniors
GOULD - best commentator in the game. Opinionated and gives great insight.

MG - says the truth. He will say a player is having a bad game when he is having one. Brutally honest which makes for enjoyable viewing.

ANDREW JOHNS - has too many biases and wants to friends with every player and coach which prevents him from giving a real and honest opinion which makes most of what he says boring.

PETER STERLING- The worst commentator in the game. He has as much emotion as a door knob and it could be a winning field goal in a grand final and Sterlo will be reviewing the moment a few seconds later in his typical monotone voice as if nothing has happened. He is incapable of showing excitement. His insight's are extremely obvious and rarely anything the viewer doesn't already know himself.

Ridders

Coach
I've always liked Gould. Sure his agenda's often permeate into his commentary but I'd rather have in as opposed to some of the other alternatives.

Loudstrat

Coach
Sterlo is the old style professional - even tempered when the others (mainly Gus) go off.

Only Sterlo could have delivered the news of Jack Gibson's death right on the kickoff of a test match.

Fein

First Grade
Sterlo is the old style professional - even tempered when the others (mainly Gus) go off.

Only Sterlo could have delivered the news of Jack Gibson's death right on the kickoff of a test match.

Bahahahahaha!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

dgsfan

Juniors
Rabs: Love the man. He is probably the best caller of anything in the country, which is why Channel Nine always got him to commentate the swimming over any AFL commentator.

Sterlo: Great caller. Great analytical mind. Keeps his biases out of his commentary.

Gus: Love the man! I might be in the minority but I seriously love hearing his opinions. I don't always agree with them but the man truly loves the game. He has a great back and forth with Rabs and I love hearing them commentate together.

Vossy: I seriously don't get all the hate, here. I can understand why some people hate Gus, but not Vossy. Great play by play commentator. He is the voice of the fans, never having played. He knows a lot about the game. You get the sence he lives for league.

Fatty: Great comedy value. Love him on the Footy Show. That show has gone down hill greatly but it wouldn't be the same without him.

Johns: Not a fan. Bores me too often. His bias really shines through when he commentates.

adamkungl

Immortal
So, from this thread I think we can agree that Andrew Johns is less interesting than your average pot plant and about as intelligent

Latest posts