What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on Channel 9's commentators

hunters

Juniors
Ben Ikin has to be at the bottom of the list. We can all agree on that and move on from there. Would have a nervous breakdown if he couldn't find a Queenslander to comment on.

The things that sh**s me most about Gould is his insistence on basing his commentary and opinions on what he thinks the rules should be rather than what they actually are!

no name

Coach
In short...

Voss - A good analyser, solid caller, very opinionated. He's in the same league as Warren Smith but Voss generally knows when he's said enough while Smith always has to get the last word in, no matter what.
In the words of John McEnroe "You can not be serious!" He carries on like a tool and won't let something go until everyone agrees with him. Just ask Robbie Farah.

hunters
Ben Ikin has to be at the bottom of the list. We can all agree on that and move on from there. Would have a nervous breakdown if he couldn't find a Queenslander to comment on.

Well seeing as he quit half way through last year, yes he is on the bottom of the list!

Last edited:

westie

Bench
Gould calls things before they happen. The ONLY guy to do this on television. Something 99% of you blokes can't do.

Sterlo watches live and calls things no one else has seen. Analyses halfback play in particular very very well.

Compare these blokes to any one else who just tell us what's happening in a replay, often incorrectly, as if we're blind and it's a different league.

Springs

First Grade
Ray Warren - The best lead commentator in the country. Great passion for the game and knowledge of the game is actually very good unlike most people suggest. Seemingly because Sterlo and Gus do most of the analysis they think he doesn't know anything. (See the Century of Rugby League documentary)

Peter Sterling - Completely unbiased in his calling. Although his Eels/NSW bias shines through in the pre-match and halftime shows. Brilliant knowledge and memory of the game. Should never have been kicked off the Footy Show.

Gus Gould - Brilliant although bias commentating. A bit egotistical as well. His passion for the game though is unmatched, plus great arguments with Rabbits over referees. Dislike him whenever Australia is playing England, as his bias against the English (although not necessarily for Australia) is terrible, but he gives credit where credits due. Bias for NSW is great though, a counter to Fatty.

Andrew Voss - His egocentric mind can get in the way of his calling occasionally, especially when a ref makes a bad call, his superior knowledge of the rules won't let it go. Terrible on the Footy Show, great on the Roast.

Andrew Johns - Doesn't add anything to either commentary or the Footy Show. Probably why he gets all the lesser games and sideline duties.

Wally Lewis - Fills in on the QLD games, no need to do anything else.

Fatty - Great. Especially in Origin. His quotes are fantastic, like when someone beat a thousand players to score. His bias towards QLD and Manly is good, in a different way than Goulds.

Now Fox Sports commentators, I could go on about...

Fein

First Grade
Gould calls things before they happen. The ONLY guy to do this on television. Something 99% of you blokes can't do.

Sterlo watches live and calls things no one else has seen. Analyses halfback play in particular very very well.

Compare these blokes to any one else who just tell us what's happening in a replay, often incorrectly, as if we're blind and it's a different league.

I suggest you watch games this season that are delayed telecast compared with those that are actually live and re-assess your opinion.

You will be shocked at the results!!! :cool:

Last edited:

Hindyscrack

Bench
9 are pretty good. Love Rabs, Sterlo and Gould when he isnt talking too much crap. Vossy has the games interests at heart but needs to lighten up.

Fox have produced some of the worst commentators of all time..
Tallis, Woolford, FREEMAN, Junior

adamkungl

Immortal
I suggest you watch games this season that are delayed telecast compared with those that are actually live and re-assess your opinion.

2 out of 3 ch9 games are live (into at least one state)...and i'm fairly certain they're all recorded live...

Big Pete

Referee
In the words of John McEnroe "You can not be serious!" He carries on like a tool and won't let something go until everyone agrees with him. Just ask Robbie Farah.

Well seeing as he quit half way through last year, yes he is on the bottom of the list!

On shows like TFS and the Roast definately. When he's calling, not as much. He'll usually say, suspect pass but the referee has let it go.

Smith on the other hand is like...

"Forward pass surely by the referee. No! Play on. Well I don't know about you but that certainly looked forward up here, now a penalty! Wow, this referee maybe looking at some time in reserve grade.

Then if the team goes onto score...

Now you'd wonder if that would've come about because of the forward pass...

He can't let it go.

Mind you Mark Braybrook is the worse.

Jankuloski

Juniors
Someone just take the mike off Wally, he allways seems so awkward with one in his hand. he should be interviewed, not interviewing.

Moffo

Referee
braybook is ok

john mccoy used to be the worst. ffs he was absolutely pathetic

andy raymond is horrible as well

rabs is great, don't have much time for the rest of them. i guess fatty and gus are entertaining though

Loudstrat

Coach

Telecasts may be delayed, but the commentary isn't you fool.

The Gambler

Juniors
Commentary recorded live - fact.

Can you imagine the commentary of a game which has already been completed and the commentators know the result? It would be pathetic.

I don't mind the Channel 9 commentary team - I find them entertaining (except for Johns) and this is particularly important for the Friday night games when you are sinking a few brews. However Rabs is most certainly losing his touch, every season he is making more and more mistakes - from players names to why the ref has blown a penalty - he does make up for it with his controlled, bass voice and his ability to turn on the excitement as soon as it is required.

Ridders

Coach
You only have to listen to his calls from the early 2000s to see how much Rabs has slipped.

He's still the best we have though.

bartman

Immortal
The future is Sterling and Voss.

Rabs alas is getting on and losing the play, Fatty is ordinary at best, but could be kept for sideline comments. Lewis could do the same, but that still leaves them short of one competent pairing to alternate with Voss and Sterling.

Gould should be kept away from the commentary during the game at all costs, but he'd be good for a pre-game, half-time and post-game analysis. Andrew Johns just needs to FOAD.

Brutus

Referee
Just for anyone who doesn't know - Rabb's knowledge of the game is poor. He's certainly no doyen as some would have us believe.

This is a worry considering his been calling RL for 100 years. I remember hearing him interviewed on the radio once and he admitted that horse racing was his main passion and if he could do it all again he'd would have concentrated more on that with the aim of calling the big Spring Carnival races. I thought WTF??

That aside he does have a decent voice for the gig and works well with Gould, Sterlo and co.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
bullsh*t brutus rabs knows the game.....to suggest otherwise is stupid

He knows the game of course and is a good caller, but not as much as others like to make out. Using the word poor was probably a tad harsh.

Latest posts