What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thursday Discussion- 2 Referees

forward pass

Coach
Why in Gods name can't we have two referees on the field officiating? It can't possibly be worse than what we have now.?

This idea has come up in the past but keeps getting rejected as too hard but I can't see why.

One ref will get back the 10, the other stands at the ruck looking for strips, flops, etc. Only one ref would have a whistle, and they would be mic'd up so they can communicate. It would have to work surely. Our game is too fast, and frantic for one guy to control.

I just can't believe we can't give this a go.

What are everyones thoughts on this?

Bman26

Juniors
after watching the tigers game replayed today on austar.(note im a storm fan)

Yes please!

the problem is all the old school people who dont want the game to change - its hard enough convincing some people that the video ref is beneficial

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think it was trailled once and the officals and players hated it.

Maybe we should trial it again and see what happens.

Trouble is the referee standing in the ruck might get in the way on occassions.

borat

Bench
If your going to have 2 refs you may as well just go back to letting the video ref tip off the main ref.

forward pass

Coach
borat said:
If your going to have 2 refs you may as well just go back to letting the video ref tip off the main ref.

Yeah but they can only do that upon watching replays. They can't tip the ref every tackle. He needs another pair of eyes.

Also, I think the trials they have done for two refs, was where they interchanged one another - have they actually tried two on the field at once ?

forward pass said:
Yeah but they can only do that upon watching replays. They can't tip the ref every tackle. He needs another pair of eyes.

Also, I think the trials they have done for two refs, was where they interchanged one another - have they actually tried two on the field at once ?
but then again, the video ref could probably have the same effect on a game as an extra on field ref - plus the it would allow the decisions to be much more accurate. in saying that, they get calls wrong too...

I'd say the challenge system would work better than 2 officials, if the captain thinks the decision is wrong he can complain to the ref. I wasn't a fan of this until I was Steve Price have the ball punched out in golden point.

imagine having two bumbling idiots on the field. Why cant we just get the refs to ref the game instead of coaching the players , Eg Steve , Steve your off. Just blow the whistle FFS. At the moment the linesman might as well sit in the sheds having a beer. If we had officials that could do the job that was intended then we wouldnt be having this discusion. Two refs has merit but the current crop are so spineless and useless we would be wasting our time

borat

Bench
forward pass said:

There is no reason why the video ref can't tip off the main ref during the course of the game on offsides, 10m, foul play etc, and not just on replays.

If you have a 2nd ref on the field your only going to mic them up anyway.

Stranger

Coach
Terrible idea. Let the man in the middle do his job. He may make one mistake a game, but hey so do 99% of the players.

Azkatro

First Grade
Why take baby steps? Let's just reach the logical conclusion of all this nonsense and have 26 refs on the field - one watching each player at all times - plus a "senior" ref controlling the game. Then have another 27 refs in the box, again one monitoring each player on the field and a boss ref.

Then on the sideline we need one touch judge placed on both sides every 10m apart from corner post to corner post, then two patrolling each half of the dead ball area.

So a total of 80 referees per game. With 8 games a round, that's 640 referees employed every weekend. Plus they would all have to be full time so they all properly understand the strip rule.

[furrycat]

Coach
Stranger said:
Terrible idea. Let the man in the middle do his job. He may make one mistake a game, but hey so do 99% of the players.

Not when a lot of these errors are affecting the outcomes of games. Why not have a challenge system? Works well in the NFL and even the tennis.

Stranger

Coach
[furrycat] said:
Not when a lot of these errors are affecting the outcomes of games. Why not have a challenge system? Works well in the NFL and even the tennis.

So a players error doesn't affect the outcome of a game?

Fact is, error is human nature. When the video ref was coming in and fixing errors people were complaining that it was slowing the game, now the refs are on their own its not good enough.

Challenge system works in a very stop start game, that is not rugby league.