What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thurston best player in the comp?

Give me a break!!!.

I think its an absolute joke that a high regard for of the rugby leagues community and its panelist think that Thurston is the best halfback and player in the competition, he is not the complete package, because he has plenty of faults in his game.

Sonny Bill Williams is a modern day immortal, he has solid defence, has had the mentality to overcome injury demons, and can play in a variety of different field positions and still have the same impact, no better role model in the game through playing capability and the personality.

Thurston rated on completeness is a fringe first grader, his attack sometimes can be spectacular, but he is too inconsistent to be even within Kooee of the Best player in the game, especially with his defence being fringe NRL capable.

I will never rate Thurston as the best player in the game, anyone who does is simply one-dimensional, and cant see past his sometimes spectacular attack, to his flaws, being his lacklustre defence, and his inconsistency.

Sonny is the best player in the game for mine, and has been since Joey and Locky dropped off their peak about 2 or 3 years ago.

Prince on attacking form is the best halfback in the comp, but his defence isnt that great.

Cronk is the most complete halfback in the comp, has great defence, and is miles about the rest, his attack is up the top as well, Cronk may not set the house on fire this year but you know what to expect from him, and he does the job satisfactory.

I honestly cant believe the NRL Panelists and how one dimensional they are with rating players.

Its disgusting and its an insult to rugby league, that a player only has to perfect one factor of the game to be reknowned as the best player in the game.

completeness and consistency are too important things that i believe should be classed in our best player, not just great attack on an inconsistent basis.

Dazzat

First Grade
Halfbacks always have an unfair advantage when "greatness" is evaluated because of their INFLUENCE within a team.

The key ingredient that sets Thurston (and other halfbacks) from players like Sonny Bill Williams is INFLUENCE. A halfback, who plays well and makes the right decisions, can lift the entire team because of his INFLUENCE.

For example, Sonny Bill Williams played the house down on Friday night, but it didn't transfer to the other players in the NZ team. He had a great individual game, but without a kicking game and an organising role, not much came of it.

I'm not saying this is the right way to evaluate "greatness", seeing Thurston's team the Cowboys is currently running second last.

Big Mick

Referee
HAHA what a crock...are you telling me...that if Jonothan Thurston rocked up at Redfern, ANZ, SFS, Erskinville wherever the hell the "pride" is training these days and went up to Rusty and said "Rus...I want to play for the Rabbit's"...you would be upset.

My arse...you'd be jumping through hoops about finally getting a player that can take your mediocre team to the next level. Because that is what every team needs...a great halfback.

I know if Thurston wanted to play for my club, i'd just about have a heart attack i'd be that stoked.

RABK

Referee
I agree that Sonny is a greater player but Thurston as Dazzat put it well is most influential player in the game today.

His defense appears solid to me and his attack is brilliant. Fringe first grade my hairy arse.

mattyg

Bench
SBW is a complete package...if he was off contract right now you'd have 16 clubs going head over heels to sign him...wouldn't surprise me if he went for something ridiculous like 800k. On and off the field he is becoming a great role model. He'd attract new fans and sponsors to any club. The Dogs were lucky in a way because SBW came off contract and other clubs were still concerned about his injuries, but he appears to be past that now.

While I agree that Thurston might be a bit more influential on the field, SBW seems to have him in consistency at the moment, as well as being a better all round package. You'll still have clowns on here though who think Mateo is a better player :lol:

birdsofprey

Juniors
He's good, but not 800k good. Actually I'd like to see a club (other than Manly) pay that much for him so they then have to let go of 3 or 4 good players.

Frustrated Fan

Juniors
It irks me that all the experts keep referring to him as the best player in the world. Appart from a couple of good plays here and there, he is obviously out of form. Very predictable with his repeated inside plays. He never runs at at the line and has been comming up with some dumb kicks. In general he doesn't seem to read the defence very well at all.
All sportsmen come in & out of form. When he is in form, i rate hime right up there with the best of them but at the moment he is lucky to be in first grade.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Halves win premierships, forwards whilst they are important are not the most important factor. Take Manly for instance, most would agree they had a superior pack than Melbourne but the Storm had Cronk and Inglis in the halves and that won them the title

mattyg

Bench
Storm had a better team across the park than Manly, including the underrated forwards. And TBH Jeff Lima was one of the key players in Melbournes charge to victory in that grand final

ledzep

Bench
Halves win premierships, forwards whilst they are important are not the most important factor. Take Manly for instance, most would agree they had a superior pack than Melbourne but the Storm had Cronk and Inglis in the halves and that won them the title
can you please stop posting?

ledzep

Bench
On topic, Williams is the best player in the comp in my opinion
I'd love to watch him playing in a more competitive team

:lol:I don't think anybody thinks that. The Storm's forwards dominated ours which let Cronk and Inglis get the ball wide and finish us off.

Charlie124

First Grade
Thuston as an individual isnt playing that badly, the rest of the team are letting him down (well, most of them). He isnt the one dropping the ball every set and giving away penalties.

SBW is a myth and is a long way off the best player in the game.

Id take Mateo over him anyday, far more complete and consistant, also less injury prone.