What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thurston Vs Lockyer

osg

Juniors
How good was Lockyer at 24?????

Thurston. I'm 31 this year and have seen every dominant player go around since lewis in the mid 80's.......... no-one has done or is doing what he's doing at his age, and in such a pivotal, high pressure position.

My dad, who's 61 this year rang me after friday nights match to say that in 40 odd years of watching he's never seen anyone do what Thurston is doing at his age..........

I beleive, even at this point at his career, that he is a more complete player than Lockyer.......... Lockyers career has been stellar, particularly at FB, but he is in the twilight of his career now. In his prime he may have just shaded Thurston at this point. For Thurston, a Golden Boot will come his way in the next few years, as will another Dally M and hopefully a GF win.......

Shorty

Staff member
Lockyer plays a totally different game to that of Thurston.

I refuse to compare them.

DeeGan

Bench
Lockyer at 21 y.o. was playing rep footy for QLD and Australia if I am not mistaken - AND starring from fullback.

Who is better today, at the moment Johnathan Thurston. Career best form.

Darren Lockyer at 30 y.o. can still dominate for another few seasons yet rest assured.

Mr Saab

Referee
In 2001 (aged 24) Lockyer was regarded as the best fullback in the world and also shined in that yrs origin series and had won 3 GFs, played numerous tests and origins

Having said that....Shane Perry

osg

Juniors
DeeGan said:
Lockyer at 21 y.o. was playing rep footy for QLD and Australia if I am not mistaken - AND starring from fullback.

Who is better today, at the moment Johnathan Thurston. Career best form.

Darren Lockyer at 30 y.o. can still dominate for another few seasons yet rest assured.

agreed. As i said, in his prime Lockyer would just shade Thurston......... the GF wins were as part of some of the finest sides in NRL history, whereas Thurston has carried our side since moving up there.

Lockyer also didn't have the pressure of organisation in the halves, he does now, and he hasn't been the same since Benny moved him. Still can dominate in patches though...........

osg

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
In 2001 (aged 24) Lockyer was regarded as the best fullback in the world and also shined in that yrs origin series and had won 3 GFs, played numerous tests and origins

Having said that....Shane Perry

HEY!!! Perry dominated the NQ Young Guns on Saturday at Redcliffe..............:D

hineyrulz

Post Whore
On form Thurston, But Locky has been a top line rep players in two posistions. Tough choice. Locky Atm, but who knows how good Thurston will end up.

Charlie124

First Grade
Thurston.

Lockyer built his career and reputation from fullback. in which case you cant really compare them as players because the positions are so different, so i think you should only compare them as Halves, where Thurston wins hands down IMO

osg

Juniors
Charlie124 said:
Thurston.

Lockyer built his career and reputation from fullback. in which case you cant really compare them as players because the positions are so different, so i think you should only compare them as Halves, where Thurston wins hands down IMO

ahhhhhh well put charlie.... post of the thread. Always hard to compare era's and players from different positions.

miccle

Bench
Dead even.

You can't compare someone who has been in the game 10 years and achieved everything with a young kid who is still just getting better.

For all we know, Thursto could get injured and his career would be over next week (god I hope not). Likewise, he could go on to achieve FAR more than Locky over the next 8-9 yeras that he has left in the game.

Again, why compare now? Two different players, both wonderful to watch and I'd just prefer to enjoy the entertainment they give me each week than pick them apart to see who is superior.