What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thurston Vs Lockyer

osg

Juniors
miccle said:
Dead even.

You can't compare someone who has been in the game 10 years and achieved everything with a young kid who is still just getting better.

For all we know, Thursto could get injured and his career would be over next week (god I hope not). Likewise, he could go on to achieve FAR more than Locky over the next 8-9 yeras that he has left in the game.

Again, why compare now? Two different players, both wonderful to watch and I'd just prefer to enjoy the entertainment they give me each week than pick them apart to see who is superior.

spot on also......... but please no mention of injuries miccle:shock:

DeeGan

Bench
But we can answer the question as to who is the better player today can we not?

Someone has to have the prestige bestowed upon as ultimately the better of the two in question today takes the unofficial number one ranking.

A comparison I agree is unfair when looking at their careers today given the time in the game of both players.

It is a privledge to be able to say I saw Andrew Johns start and Darren Lockyer finish their careers, likewise for Johnathan Thurston.

*touch wood* No injuries to JT *touch wood*

miccle

Bench
DeeGan said:
But we can answer the question as to who is the better player today can we not?

Someone has to have the prestige bestowed upon as ultimately the better of the two in question today takes the unofficial number one ranking.

A comparison I agree is unfair when looking at their careers today given the time in the game of both players.

It is a privledge to be able to say I saw Andrew Johns start and Darren Lockyer finish their careers, likewise for Johnathan Thurston.

*touch wood* No injuries to JT *touch wood*

Depends on the meaning of the word "today" tbh.

Over the past 12 months, you'd have to say Lockyer could almost pip him.

Going on the last 11 weeks, Thursto undoubtedly... but you can't deny that there are many similarities between his poor form when his team was travelling poorly at the end of last year and Lockyer's so far in 2007.

Again, I don't think a ten week stretch of time determines the better player. He's playing better footy right now, that's for sure - but who says that won't change in ten weeks?

DeeGan

Bench
miccle said:

Going on the last 11 weeks, Thursto undoubtedly... but you can't deny that there are many similarities between his poor form when his team was travelling poorly at the end of last year and Lockyer's so far in 2007.

Again, I don't think a ten week stretch of time determines the better player. He's playing better footy right now, that's for sure - but who says that won't change in ten weeks?

Fair call too, nice post.

osg

Juniors
miccle said:

great post again miccle............ i guess we can revisit this at the end of the season.

In the end, i'm glad that they are wearing maroon and not blue, as they are the best 6 and 7 in the world.

miccle

Bench
Damn straight - and I didn't post before because I think Locky is better or whatever.

When it gets down to it, they are both absolute CLASS on the field. Both men are the complete package, very dynamic players and supporters of the Cows and Broncos should be very proud to have them on side.

I have no doubts that Thursto can go on to achieve just as much as Locky, but both players will continue to have their high points and low points as we all do in our careers.

kooriguy

Juniors
i rate thurston the number 2 halfback i have seen play behind langer, he is also better then locky in his prime.

1.alan langer 2.jonathon thurston 3.andrew johns> then daylight

and this is coming from a devout nsw suporter

osg

Juniors
kooriguy said:
i rate thurston the number 2 halfback i have seen play behind langer, he is also better then locky in his prime.

1.alan langer 2.jonathon thurston 3.andrew johns> then daylight

and this is coming from a devout nsw suporter

and i as a devout QLD and Cows supporter appreciate your sentiments......:clap: :thumn

Big Pete

Referee
Currently Thurston is IMO the worlds best player.

Although I would go onto say that Lockyer was the worlds best player at the end of season 2006.

Fair call?

osg

Juniors
Big Pete said:
Currently Thurston is IMO the worlds best player.

Although I would go onto say that Lockyer was the worlds best player at the end of season 2006.

Fair call?

indeed.

EvolutionUber said:
Both top players but who would you say is better?

thurston. he always attcks the line and busts through it, whilst locky plays more side to side.

lockyer's best position is fullback, his defence at 5/8 leaves a lot to be desired.

queesland would be so much stronger with lockyer at 1, prince at 7 and thurston at 6.

osg

Juniors
a lot of quality posts tonight.......... good thread. Points noted dallymessenger.

Charlie124

First Grade
dallymessenger said:
thurston. he always attcks the line and busts through it, whilst locky plays more side to side.

lockyer's best position is fullback, his defence at 5/8 leaves a lot to be desired.

queesland would be so much stronger with lockyer at 1, prince at 7 and thurston at 6.

Agreed. Prince is a lot more dangerous when attacking the line and leaves the opposition guessing a lot more than Lockyer. Having said that, Lockyer played a perfect role in origin 1 and i dont think he let us down in the slightest, wouldnt change it just for the hell of it but i agree that he would be better at FB.

The only problem i could see with Prince and Thurston in the halves is that theyre both dominant players and i couldnt see one being the chief and the other being the standoff, which could cause problems. Thurston and Lockyer is the perfect mix

Billybob

Juniors
okay we see what Thurston does with the ball

but its the stuff we dont see that makes him great

like always being there to clean up grubbers and chip kicks
or covering tackles from breaks
look at 80% of trys scored against any team he plays for and you will see him there trying to stop the try

he is like Hindmarsh he just runs till he cant run no more he is in everything trying till the last minute

so id say at the moment he would be better then lockyer

and like matty johns said on the roast go up to lockyer and ask him who the best player in the game is

badav

Bench
i cant believe that there are still people talking about lockyer playing fullback . take it from someone who has watched his entire career. he played some of the best footy i have ever seen him play last year as a 5/8th. And he hasnt had any defensive issues at 5/8th for a fair while now. Dallymessanger have you watched him play footy since 2005.

lockyer and thurston compliment eachothers games very well. at the moment thurston is in red hot form and i really dont see any need whatsoever for lockyer to dominate queenslands playmaking.

i also think that lockyer would have to be one of the best halves in the game when it comes to support play and kick chase. he is always there. he scored more tries last year in a premiership winning side than most of the outside backs.

Latest posts