What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticket Sales?

Auckland4ever

Juniors
JoeD said:
Definitely ticket prices are too high. $50 anywhere in the east stand is too much. Their priority should be to price it so that it sells out.

Yep. Basic supply & demand. Its looking like they overestimated the demand bit when pricing the seats, which is reducing demand even more. Be interesting to see the outcome. Unfortunately(or fortunately for me) I'll be up north on holiday, so I wont be there.

phonetic

Juniors
Too expensive. International Rugby League is a good product, but it's not at the stage where you can justify those pricings in my opinion.

ozbash

Referee
maybe, but for your $ you get 3 international games, nz uni v oz uni, NZa v NSW u18 and of course, the test with some of the best players in the world playing.

as well there will be the usual things to keep you entertained.

you cant buy a hangover for $50 these days.

i do think the nzrl could have promoted it more, the only outfit pushing it seems to be the mad butcher.

playdaball

Bench
I just got two tickets earlier today in the East Stand covered $60+ each. That is quite expensive for a sport known as a working class game.

If Sonny Bill and Benji were playing I would suggest that the crowd would have been 20K +. I predict a crowd of around 15k (tops) tomorrow.

The weather is looking good at this stage so that is a bonus.

eels_fan_01

Bench
This doesnt look good.

I was hoping and i think this should have been a realistic goal for this tournament that no crowd was under 20,000 but it looks like this will happpen.

Wiki Worriers

Juniors
Its not just $50,its $50 plus food plus parking plus drinks and if you were going with your girlfriend/wife/kids that can be an expensive night out for your average leaguie

carlnz

Bench
Interesting to see that the Rugby Semi between Auckland and Wellington has got bugger all people there tonight

carlnz

Bench
The Kiwis are battling for more than their Tri-Nations trophy against Australia at Mt Smart Stadium tonight. Worried New Zealand league officials will be looking beyond the scoreboard figures after sluggish pre-sales of well under 10,000 by yesterday afternoon.

They are openly citing a lack of public confidence in the Kiwis being able to repeat their 2005 deeds as the principal problem, after years of too many downs and not enough ups against the mighty Aussies.

Tonight's test may also be struggling in the image-shattering wake of the Brisbane Anzac disaster and the ill-conceived test in England where a B-grade Kiwis side was smashed.

The Kiwis are champions for the first time in decades - but this year's only major test in Auckland has failed to fire the public's imagination, judging by the ticket sales. At stake is the chance to host regular tests and games in the 2008 World Cup, for which Australia is the principal host.

The All Golds make a northern tour next year marking New Zealand league's centenary. It has yet to be decided how the Tri-Nations will resume following the 2008 World Cup, but low New Zealand crowds make it odds-on England will continue as the most frequent hosts.

New Zealand Rugby League general manager Peter Cordtz said: "International league in this country is under threat if we can't make it pay. If it becomes nothing more than a development charity case, then it doesn't pay the bills."

While Australia will want the game to flow tonight, league bosses are desperate for the crowds to flow in at Mt Smart and against Great Britain in Christchurch and Wellington. Last year, when New Zealand scored its first win in Sydney since 1959, the follow-up crowd at Ericsson was just 16,300, almost all coming in pre-sales and corporates. The NZRL hoped to crack the 20,000 mark tonight, and even dreamt of reaching the 24,000 capacity. Fingers are still being kept crossed.

Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand split the Tri-Nations money pool equally, and England are the big contributors. Last year's final at Leeds, which did not include the home side, drew a 26,500 crowd. This year's one-off Anzac game in Brisbane was played in front of 44,000.

The NZRL desperately needs the Tri-Nations money and, with England as the major hosts in 2004 and 2005, it delivered in spades. The first tournament netted New Zealand around $1m, followed by a figure approaching that last year.

It is a classic dilemma. Hosting major tests is essential and fires interest, especially if the result goes your way. But, to pay the bills and drive the game, it is in New Zealand's interests to let Australia and England play host.

Cordtz said: "Our ability to make test football pay is becoming a big issue. There's an awful lot we can't do without that surplus. The Kiwis are the only thing that pays. Everything else is a food bill.

"We can be confident about the Kiwis but it's the punters who need the confidence. Before they spend that $20, $45, $60, they want to know they will see a contest. Maybe there is also a general malaise around big events."

A lack of public confidence has never hurt the Kiwis. Their most famous victories invariably come when they are written off, and their biggest crashes when confidence is high.

AuckMel

Bench
I hope the Kiwis get huge support, but I can understand of they don't. Some good ponts in the article above.

Skinner

Coach
It's cloudy with a cold wind blowing and it looks like rain is not far away.

If it's like that this evening, there will be a very small walk up crowd.

Lack of promo and pricing I reckon.

playdaball

Bench
Skinner said:
It's cloudy with a cold wind blowing and it looks like rain is not far away.

If it's like that this evening, there will be a very small walk up crowd.

Lack of promo and pricing I reckon.

The weather is not too bad. Hopefully the rain will stay away.

Agree with pricing. I would also say that the NZRL is to blame, why?

The last two Kiwi results have been shockers with a NZ X11 / Dad's Army aka The Kiwis losing to GB and the Kiwis NRL side getting thrashed by Aussie. IMO the NZRL should do more to ensure that if a team is going out in the black and white then they should be a full strength team. Nobody wants to watch a game whereby NZ will get beaten by 20+.
As I said in another post if SBW and Benji were in the team then there would be an extra 5K people. Why? They are superstars embraced by the sporting public not just RL fans. With them in the team the public would believe that the game would be a lot closer.

I'll be there cheering on the boys!

IT IS ALWAYS A GREAT PLACE TO BE WHEN THE KIWIS UPSET AUSTRALIA.

Skinner

Coach
playdaball said:
The weather is not too bad. Hopefully the rain will stay away.

Agree with pricing. I would also say that the NZRL is to blame, why?

The last two Kiwi results have been shockers with a NZ X11 / Dad's Army aka The Kiwis losing to GB and the Kiwis NRL side getting thrashed by Aussie. IMO the NZRL should do more to ensure that if a team is going out in the black and white then they should be a full strength team. Nobody wants to watch a game whereby NZ will get beaten by 20+.
As I said in another post if SBW and Benji were in the team then there would be an extra 5K people. Why? They are superstars embraced by the sporting public not just RL fans. With them in the team the public would believe that the game would be a lot closer.

I'll be there cheering on the boys!

IT IS ALWAYS A GREAT PLACE TO BE WHEN THE KIWIS UPSET AUSTRALIA.

Agree 100% as always pdb.

salivor

First Grade
The media has been all over this all week drumming into everyone that it's going to be a poor crowd. I don't think that's done the match any favours as there's always a concern from fans to begin with if there will be a contest when Australia in town but your casual fans don't want to go to a match with the potential of barely getting 15k and having zero atmosphere.

On the bright side there is a genuine buzz here in Wellington from people about going to the game, I'd be dissapointed if we got anything under 25k for the GB test.

pcpp

Juniors
17,887 - bigger than I expected judging from all those articles which predicted doom and gloom. Probably about what the NZRL expected.

Looks like there was a reasonably good walk-up crowd.

Jeffles

Bench
If they won't support it, move the Test matches around. Give Hamilton a go and more power to Wellington.

carlnz

Bench
lockyno1 said:
Still a poor crowd. Anything under 20,000 is ordinary.

So sydney has got 3 Million more people then Auckland and if Auckland got 17,000 that means Sydney should get 68,000 for there test match.

That is of course we go off the population

The Tank

Bench
I'm quite happy with 17k. Obviously 20k would have been a great way to start but 17k isn't too bad. I was expecting 15k. Something to build on I guess.