What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers at kogarah

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
43657.jpg

Like your avatar ..............Yah, I'm liking nice jugs!

Frauleins with big jugs .................... Gotta love a Friday afternoon beer!

hqdefault.jpg

........... now where was l, oh yes, weekend approaching .......... Dragons to win!

Saints 32
Tiger West Magpies 6

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons wary of the Packer effect
Local Sport
r0_0_2733_1822_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

LEADER: Russell Packer has had a huge impact on the Tigers this season. Picture: AAP
FATHER, enforcer, scholar, former prison inmate – Tigers prop Russell Packer where’s many hats.

By now, a decade into his NRL career, he’s received enough attention – good and bad – that he prefers to go about his business quietly. And yet, he remains one of the game’s most intriguing characters.

Coaches and teammates laud his leadership qualities, words like “honest” “opinionated” “a strong presence” “uncompromising” and “intelligent” invariably feature in all accounts.

The former Dragon will face his former club, where he rebuilt his life and career, for the first time on Sunday and his former teammates know how formidable the Tigers are with him up front.

“He’s pretty strong-headed Russ, he is a good leader in his own way, and in a different way,” Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop said.

“Everyone knows Russ’s journey and what he’s had to go through and a lot of people respect him for that.

“He’s been around and had to deal with things a lot of normal people don’t have to deal with. I think that helps him in his leadership.

“He’s a pretty big presence, he’s a loud voice and he’s very, very intelligent, especially for a big front-rower. Certainly he's a very tough player who works really hard and you can see he’s been great for the Tigers.

“They’ve got a youngish forward pack as well and he’s gone in there and is doing a great job.

“He’s coming up against his old club and whenever you do that you want to perform well so he’ll be coming to Kogarah on Sunday and trying to do that. I’ll be steering clear of him for sure.”

While many tipped the Tigers to finish with the wooden spoon this season, they remain in the race for a finals berth, though those hopes will go on the line against the Dragons on Sunday.

Veteran Dragons winger Jason Nightingale has no doubt his former Kiwi Test teammate’s presence has played a major role in the turnaround.

“I’m not surprised at all by what he’s been able to do with the young players there at the Tigers,” Nightingale.

“He’s such an influential player around the place, he works very hard and sets a good example in that aspect.

“He’s a very uncompromising bloke, the sort of guy that, as soon as you go out on the field with him, you know what he’s going to do.

“He doesn’t take a backward step and that gives you a lot of confidence playing alongside him.”

Packer will no doubt be looking to haunt his former side on Sunday but his impact, particularly off the field continue to have an impact at the Dragons according to young prop Blake Lawrie

“He’s a tough fella Russ, he’s really experienced in the game, he helped me a lot,” Lawrie said.

“He understands people. If you go up top him one and one, you can talk to him for half an hour or an hour about all sorts of things, on and off the field.

“He’s got a really smart head on his shoulders. If you need someone to talk to about things, he’s that sort of person. He’s a team person and a great guy.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5525015/dragons-wary-of-the-packer-effect/?cs=302

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Local Sport

LEADER: Russell Packer has had a huge impact on the Tigers this season. Picture: AAP
FATHER, enforcer, scholar, former prison inmate – Tigers prop Russell Packer where’s many hats.

By now, a decade into his NRL career, he’s received enough attention – good and bad – that he prefers to go about his business quietly. And yet, he remains one of the game’s most intriguing characters.

Coaches and teammates laud his leadership qualities, words like “honest” “opinionated” “a strong presence” “uncompromising” and “intelligent” invariably feature in all accounts.

The former Dragon will face his former club, where he rebuilt his life and career, for the first time on Sunday and his former teammates know how formidable the Tigers are with him up front.

“He’s pretty strong-headed Russ, he is a good leader in his own way, and in a different way,” Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop said.

“Everyone knows Russ’s journey and what he’s had to go through and a lot of people respect him for that.

“He’s been around and had to deal with things a lot of normal people don’t have to deal with. I think that helps him in his leadership.

“He’s a pretty big presence, he’s a loud voice and he’s very, very intelligent, especially for a big front-rower. Certainly he's a very tough player who works really hard and you can see he’s been great for the Tigers.

“They’ve got a youngish forward pack as well and he’s gone in there and is doing a great job.

“He’s coming up against his old club and whenever you do that you want to perform well so he’ll be coming to Kogarah on Sunday and trying to do that. I’ll be steering clear of him for sure.”

While many tipped the Tigers to finish with the wooden spoon this season, they remain in the race for a finals berth, though those hopes will go on the line against the Dragons on Sunday.

Veteran Dragons winger Jason Nightingale has no doubt his former Kiwi Test teammate’s presence has played a major role in the turnaround.

“I’m not surprised at all by what he’s been able to do with the young players there at the Tigers,” Nightingale.

“He’s such an influential player around the place, he works very hard and sets a good example in that aspect.

“He’s a very uncompromising bloke, the sort of guy that, as soon as you go out on the field with him, you know what he’s going to do.

“He doesn’t take a backward step and that gives you a lot of confidence playing alongside him.”

Packer will no doubt be looking to haunt his former side on Sunday but his impact, particularly off the field continue to have an impact at the Dragons according to young prop Blake Lawrie

“He’s a tough fella Russ, he’s really experienced in the game, he helped me a lot,” Lawrie said.

“He understands people. If you go up top him one and one, you can talk to him for half an hour or an hour about all sorts of things, on and off the field.

“He’s got a really smart head on his shoulders. If you need someone to talk to about things, he’s that sort of person. He’s a team person and a great guy.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5525015/dragons-wary-of-the-packer-effect/?cs=302

Fudge is a Traitor and won’t get to play finals football this year.
Gotta love the dollars though.

Gareth Widdop has dyed his hair blonde. He looks ridiculous. Not sure what this means to our chances against the tigers now......
Yeah my son saw it on something called “Instagram” today.
I think they are all doing a hair thing, there was a post before about Graham shaving his head, but when your already a soulless ginger I’m not sure you can do hair things.

Life's Good

Coach
I’m expecting a big game from Sims to erase his brain fade in SOO3. Vaughan should be pretty fresh & well, JDB & Friz are just machines who’ll power on. I’d like to see Hunt take the line on & leave Widdop to run the show just picking his moments. Big game for us to get back some form & build a bit of momentum now that we are on the run home.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree that the Dragons need to rack up a big score against the Tigers, hopefully the SOO boys will be able to back up well and more so Ben Hunt . He needs to get back to the form that we know he is capable of, put the last few weeks behind him and move on . After all there is a Premiership trophy waiting to be won by the team that can do the hard yards and the Dragons have done plenty of that this season . Dragons by 16 .:innocent:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I’m expecting a big game from Sims to erase his brain fade in SOO3. Vaughan should be pretty fresh & well, JDB & Friz are just machines who’ll power on. I’d like to see Hunt take the line on & leave Widdop to run the show just picking his moments. Big game for us to get back some form & build a bit of momentum now that we are on the run home.

......As long as Sims doesn't tackle Hunt when he has the ball!

Drag Queen

Bench
Local Sport

Poor journalism. Where
Local Sport