What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers game

possm

Coach
I think the problem goes beyond coaching and the squad now. The problem is environmental, with the culture and attitude within the club as a whole.

Gus Gould said it in the Souths game...they have just forgotten how to lose. Even when they were down against the Roosters, there was no panic, they just knew they would get the points. We are polar opposites in that respect and have been that way for 3 years. They play like winners and we play like losers.

And this comes out in the way we play, no aggression, no slickness, no impact, no care, zero evidence of a well prepared, motivated and well drilled side.

Can we put all the blame on Mary or Price. Maybe not. Dugan, Benji, Widdop, Frizell, Thompson, these are recruits most teams would take in a heartbeat. Are they playing to their potential...absolutely not. No one that comes to the Dragons does.

What's the point of talking about Burgess, JWH etc etc...they'll just come here and forget how to play like our other expensive recruits.

I think you have answered your own question. It is not until these players are exposed to our training program and our game plan that they reach such depths.

possm

Coach
Widdop is best at fullback. You then need halves that will service the outside backs. They had nothing last night because Widdop and Marshall were under pressure. Marshall should be moved to 5/8, and Mary should threaten to cut his hands off if he doesn't take on the line.

1. Widdop
2. Nabuli
3. Dugan
4. Neilsen/Farrell
5. Nightingale
6. Marshall
7. ?

That backline looks like it has a bit more sting in it if you've got a young half who is good foil for Marshall.

While Dugun is off injured, why not try:

1. Widdop
2. Nabuli
3. Aitken - I'm confident he will measure up in attack and defence - right center
4. Mata 'Utia - is very solid in defense and attack and will feed Nabuli - left center
5. Nightingale
6. Marshall - Thonmpson to run protection for Marshall like Scott did for Soward
7. Hutchison

Farell had a very poor game last night and Nielson's only good work was scoring the only try however, Nielson is not the left centre we are looking for.

love my saints

Juniors
The problem now is, if we put Aitken in, and the team falters like it has the first 2 rounds, it will knock his confidence.
But if we stick with the reserve graders we currently have, it will be the same old same old.
id say take the risk and put Aitken in. Neilson and Farrell shouldnt even be considered as back up options imo.

BennyV

Referee
The problem now is, if we put Aitken in, and the team falters like it has the first 2 rounds, it will knock his confidence.
But if we stick with the reserve graders we currently have, it will be the same old same old.
id say take the risk and put Aitken in. Neilson and Farrell shouldnt even be considered as back up options imo.

Nice to see you coming over to the dark side!

You are right about stuffing Aitken by throwing him in now. But we are damned if we do, damned if we dOnt. Based on what we have seen from Mary, Aitken will be stuffed eventually anyway, his talent/form will wither as it has with Dugan, Widdop, Frizz, etc, until we get a decent coach...

The same rabble that played last night should be forced to play the Raiders.
Why punish debutants with our toughest roadtrip?
All that will do is give McPlodder the opportunity to say if they struggle," We tried change and it didn't work"
Sickening

love my saints

Juniors
Nice to see you coming over to the dark side!

You are right about stuffing Aitken by throwing him in now. But we are damned if we do, damned if we dOnt. Based on what we have seen from Mary, Aitken will be stuffed eventually anyway, his talent/form will wither as it has with Dugan, Widdop, Frizz, etc, until we get a decent coach...

I gotta disagree with you bennyV (may as well seeing as thats what you and I do best lol)
I concede mary has shown ABSOLUTELY NOTHING so far, but to blame him for how players play... thats not my go.
The game plan is a rabble, he is to blame for that completely, wrong players being chosen, again, the blame falls squarely on Marys shoulders.
But f@ck me, as playmakers, 1 current international and 1 former international, if you see something not working, use your instinct and tweek it!!!! Its not that f@cking hard!!!
Both our playmakers are skillfull and talented, if the coaches plan isnt working, play whats in front of you, its like soward and price all over again.
Price had shitty plays so soward stuck to it, showed no originality at all. Benji and Widdop are doing the same!
Benjis short balls to frizzell should be one of many plays in his bag of tricks... yet thats all he seem to attempt... what the f@ck??? Mix it up...
We have a good team, a few adjustments in certain positions and we will improve, all be it only slighty with mary still there.
Our forwards are stepping up, Rose has really impressed me, AhMau is playing hard, O'Brien isnt doing much but isnt too bad 2 games in.
JDB has to go, rein has to go, farrell and neilson for f@cks sake f@ck them off!!!!
Garvey and L'estrange rotate the 9, bring in marketo for JDB, bring mathews onto the bench.
Bring in Aitken and peter m into the centres, try a youngster at fullback till duges returns.
The potential in the team is there. Its just not being utilised correctly.

Lethal25

Juniors
There is next to no chance of wholesale changes being made at least not for a couple more weeks anyway.

They trained all off season to reach this point, coaching staff made their selections and it would take a huge back flip for them to now admit they got it wrong. It'll be a matter of giving the under performing players enough rope to hang themselves. Which on evidence seen so far we should expect some of that rope to be used sooner rather than later.

love my saints

Juniors
There is next to no chance of wholesale changes being made at least not for a couple more weeks anyway.

They trained all off season to reach this point, coaching staff made their selections and it would take a huge back flip for them to now admit they got it wrong. It'll be a matter of giving the under performing players enough rope to hang themselves. Which on evidence seen so far we should expect some of that rope to be used sooner rather than later.

You'll find theres a few hanging already.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I gotta disagree with you bennyV (may as well seeing as thats what you and I do best lol)
I concede mary has shown ABSOLUTELY NOTHING so far, but to blame him for how players play... thats not my go.
The game plan is a rabble, he is to blame for that completely, wrong players being chosen, again, the blame falls squarely on Marys shoulders.
But f@ck me, as playmakers, 1 current international and 1 former international, if you see something not working, use your instinct and tweek it!!!! Its not that f@cking hard!!!
Both our playmakers are skillfull and talented, if the coaches plan isnt working, play whats in front of you, its like soward and price all over again.
Price had shitty plays so soward stuck to it, showed no originality at all. Benji and Widdop are doing the same!
Benjis short balls to frizzell should be one of many plays in his bag of tricks... yet thats all he seem to attempt... what the f@ck??? Mix it up...
We have a good team, a few adjustments in certain positions and we will improve, all be it only slighty with mary still there.
Our forwards are stepping up, Rose has really impressed me, AhMau is playing hard, O'Brien isnt doing much but isnt too bad 2 games in.
JDB has to go, rein has to go, farrell and neilson for f@cks sake f@ck them off!!!!
Garvey and L'estrange rotate the 9, bring in marketo for JDB, bring mathews onto the bench.
Bring in Aitken and peter m into the centres, try a youngster at fullback till duges returns.

You'll find the modern player can't really think for themselves and play what's in front of them, unless of course you're talking about the exceptional few like Smith and Thurston. I remember a few years back when the bulldogs where struggling, Jim Dymock was the waterboy, went onto the field and physically put players into positions to run correct lines. It was so funny to watch. Dymock was a crafty player in his day, but certainly no Stuart or Langer!

Yes, Sowie was playing like busters with us, but have a look at him now. Don't forget, he is two years older too! Logic says, it all points to the coach.:cool:

The Rosco

Bench
Tough break there, guys. I really thought you were going to" turn it around and beat us by 13+".

Why are St George like the 17yr old bloke that goes to the brothel every payday ?
Coz they both only score once a week.

possm

Coach

Mary was supposed to be in charge of the attack when Price was coach last season. He is still in charge the attack and the same problems are there.

If the coach gives the team instructions, it is very difficult for a player to go against those instructions especially if an individual is told to follow the game plan. If the plan is not up to scratch the players will carry out the instructions half heartedly; it is there for all to see, this is what is going on.

BennyV

Referee

Theres only so much playmakers can tweak...when they have soend the whole off season practice this god-awful structure, it cant be changed on the fly. The structure relies on players in motion, and SHOULD rely on Benji/Widdop having a number of options to choose from every time they get the ball. At the moment, they have 2; either throw the pass to the obvious receiver, who is the only guy that could get it, or trying to run it themselves and bust through.

And the latter is basically impossible for anyone without decoys and players in motion around them.

love my saints

Juniors
I am by no means defending mary coaching abilities or style... i was willing to wait and judge on what we offer... after two rounds i cant find anything to defend.
but.... as an ex player, i can tell you, when the coaches plan and style isnt working, try something new, play your natural game. Both Widdop and Marshall are talented players. They can make things happen.
As a player surely you would want to be called shit for your failing at your best rather then be called shit for failing at someone elses styles.
You know what i mean. Mary has to go no doubt, but the players have to step up too.

Revved up Rory

Juniors
Last night was embarrassing - it should be two strikes and you're out if Mary's fair dinkum. Give some of the young blokes a go. Can't believe the squad they named for this weekend given the crap we have had to endure.