What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers game

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
A few things to ponder:
- we have an unbalanced roster. Not having money is a poor excuse, the NRL gives each club enough money to cover the salary cap for the top 25. Widdop and Marshall are both 5/8's, our centres, hookers....it's tiring just thinking about it
- can we win a premiership with the current squad?
- if no to above, then what is the 3-5 year plan to win a comp?
- can the current management and coaching staff achieve the above goal of winning a comp within 3-5 years?

Answer these questions, then we at least have a baseline to work with.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Was mowing the front lawn when my neighbour pulled up and said why arn't you watching the game, I said just want to finish this before it gets dark...he replied its 4 nil against you blokes already....so I finished the lawn walked inside and it was 20 to 4....watched about 10 mins of the second half crap we were serving up and thought that'll do me...so I put the outside light on and mowed the back lawn in the dark.....couldn't even bring myself to watching anymore......FMD we've got absolutely nothing to offer now....and I use the word nothing now very loosely...basically we've had nothing since the Bennett years....bloody sad to even think about footy nowadays..

TheRev

First Grade
A few things to ponder:
- we have an unbalanced roster. Not having money is a poor excuse, the NRL gives each club enough money to cover the salary cap for the top 25. Widdop and Marshall are both 5/8's, our centres, hookers....it's tiring just thinking about it
- can we win a premiership with the current squad?
- if no to above, then what is the 3-5 year plan to win a comp?
- can the current management and coaching staff achieve the above goal of winning a comp within 3-5 years?

Answer these questions, then we at least have a baseline to work with.
The issue is much more complicated than that.. were not a wealthy club, and the NRL has been happy to let rich clubs abuse 3rd party payments.. meaning they are playing with say a 10mill cap instead of 7mill, that means were missing atleast 4-5 all out match winners across the paddock, not to mention retention/aquisition of the next wave of junior talent to come through.

Every year we cant put an equal side on the paddock, makes it harder to recruit anyone for the following year.. and players will only come if they get paid overs.. meanwhile we lose our juniors and our current stars to other clubs who mysteriously can afford to pay double what their worth (BMoz/Merrin/Bird/Hastings for example).. *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* nobody says anything about the obvious abuse of payments.

It is a death spiral that should have been addressed early 2011, and will now require the appointment of some very shrewd businessman at the top, to resurrect the club.

Redvpassion

Juniors
Was mowing the front lawn when my neighbour pulled up and said why arn't you watching the game, I said just want to finish this before it gets dark...he replied its 4 nil against you blokes already....so I finished the lawn walked inside and it was 20 to 4....watched about 10 mins of the second half crap we were serving up and thought that'll do me...so I put the outside light on and mowed the back lawn in the dark.....couldn't even bring myself to watching anymore......FMD we've got absolutely nothing to offer now....and I use the word nothing now very loosely...basically we've had nothing since the Bennett years....bloody sad to even think about footy nowadays..[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, it like my interest in the game Is way below zero.

They lose, it's like, yep saw that coming. They win it's like, omg we won. Miracle.

Going away this weekend, not even sure I would turn on the radio to even care about what the raiders v dragons result would be. Win 10 in a row, we still need a change from top to bottom.

Sad to see how THE MIGHTY HAS FALLEN.

pinkmoon

Juniors
I think we had a better squad last year personally.

I don't understand the purchase of crap like Nielsen, Rose, and LeStrange, as well as bringing in Cutters rubbish like O'Brien and Wakeman.

In saying that, I don't think the squad is the biggest issue. There are ways to determine if coaching is the problem. The way these guys play with no aggression, no purpose, no enthusiasm, tells me the coach is not getting them up for the games, or at least, they're not buying what he is selling.

The way the set plays all play out 10 yards from the defensive line, tells me that these guys aren't well drilled. The amount of drop ball tells me they are not well drilled and don't really know their role.

This team has youth and athleticism like every other club in this competition. We are not short on decent young athletes, but they become nothing, because of the way they are coached. You look at the Roosters side, and a lot of the youth were unheard of a couple of years ago, but they signed Maloney (we signed Widdop), and the rest have just been bought into good structures and excelled to the point where they are now house hold names.

We need a coach, real bad.

possm

Coach
The game was a disgrace and I am sure the players are totally dissatisfied with the crap game plans that have been dished up over the past 3 years.

Mary was part of the Price coaching staff and has shown that he hasn't got a clue when it comes to preparing an NRL team for a game, and devising an appropriate game plan. It took me 6 rounds in 2012 to come to the conclusion that Price was not up to it - and I took a lot of crap when making my view on Price known. Well it has only taken 2 NRL games for me to come to the conclusion that Mary is not up to it.

It's not all Mary's fault as the buck must stop with the Dragons Board of Management; for it was our Board that - against the wishes of most fans and supporters appoint another rookie as our head coach.

Well the chickens have already come home to roost and so the Board members need to resign and put the future of the Dragons in the hands of the NRL. Like the Titans, Tigers and Knights, our famous Club has been run into the ground by a group of useless cronies and I'm afraid it will be up to the NRL to now sort this mess out.

Last edited:

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
The issue is much more complicated than that.. were not a wealthy club, and the NRL has been happy to let rich clubs abuse 3rd party payments.. meaning they are playing with say a 10mill cap instead of 7mill, that means were missing atleast 4-5 all out match winners across the paddock, not to mention retention/aquisition of the next wave of junior talent to come through.

Every year we cant put an equal side on the paddock, makes it harder to recruit anyone for the following year.. and players will only come if they get paid overs.. meanwhile we lose our juniors and our current stars to other clubs who mysteriously can afford to pay double what their worth (BMoz/Merrin/Bird/Hastings for example).. *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* nobody says anything about the obvious abuse of payments.

It is a death spiral that should have been addressed early 2011, and will now require the appointment of some very shrewd businessman at the top, to resurrect the club.

I don't think the Tigers are in much of a better financial position than us, but they seem to have put a fairly balanced footy side on the paddock, bringing on their juniors nicely by blooding them during the Potter years.

pinkmoon

Juniors
I have never (in all my time watching RL) ever witnessed a team more devoid of spirit and passion than St George tonight. There was not one player out there that looked pissed off, passionate, angry, or determined. They ALL looked like they couldn't care less, and that's so sad. Even when we got trounced 70-0 against Melbourne in 2000, you could see disappointment; not tonight. It's like they're a team of strangers that have never met each other before....like turning up for the first game of touch football at the local park for the season, and meeting the motley crew that you're bosses mate put together for the year.

Last edited:

saints4me

Juniors

Yeah all of this....but there's more which is just as serious. We're now also paying for not having a "reserve grade side" for some years. Sure we have the Cutters but I don't believe the Dragons considered them as our reserves. We rarely hear about any up & coming Cutters players (even Aitken's from the U21's & not the Cutters) so we don't have any depth. That's just as much of a sad reflection on Doust & the current board as anything else that's currently levelled at them. Dark days indeed. Can't see it getting much better any time soon & I always try to look on the bright side. Without looking at the Cutters team list, who here can name someone with real potential?

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
The game was a disgrace and I am sure the players are totally dissatisfied with the crap game plans that have been dished up over the past 3 years.

Mary was part of the Price coaching staff and has shown that he hasn't got a clue when it comes to preparing an NRL team for a game, and devising an appropriate game plan. It took me 6 rounds in 2012 to come to the conclusion that Price was not up to it - and I took a lot of crap when making my view on Price known. Well it has only taken 2 NRL games for me to come to the conclusion that Mary is not up to it.

It's not all Mary's fault as the buck must stop with the Dragons Board of Management; for it was our Board that - against the wishes of most fans and supporters appoint another rookie as our head coach.

Well the chickens have already come home to roost and so the Board members need to resign and put the future of the Dragons in the hands of the NRL. Like the Titans, Tigers and Nights, our famous Club has been run into the ground by a group of useless cronies and I'm afraid it will be up to the NRL to now sort this mess out.

Get the quill out possum, start writing your open letter to the NRL.

country_dragon

Juniors
It really is time to start considering the long term future of the dragons. If you have a look at the finances published at the end of last year that were pertaining to Sydney clubs viability - the dragons are in a lot of trouble. Of course, if they keep losing all the time (and that looks likely for at least this year) , crowd numbers go down, T.V scheduling is adjusted accordingly (no friday night games etc). There really needs to be some serious executive decisions made or this club will go the way of Souths and Newtown. Maybe the dragons can start advertising in Hollywood for a buyer too?

NRL will NEVER let the Dragons disappear.

NEVER in a million years.

If the time comes to step in, they will. But it will be to ensure the club is headed back in the right direction.

shazam

Juniors
Long time reader of this great Forum , but after following the Dragons since 1968 I have to comment.
I took a load of cattle to the sales yesterday & there was less bullshit there than was on show in the game last night.
I can not remember the last time this rabble scored a really exciting try & they let the one player got that could ( Morris )
Added the fox sport package last week to watch our former great club it will be turned off again cant watch this garbage .
As we all know any business needs smart leaders the CEO & coach have to go.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I have never (in all my time watching RL) ever witnessed a team more devoid of spirit and passion than St George tonight. There was not one player out there that looked pissed off, passionate, angry, or determined. They ALL looked like they couldn't care less, and that's so sad. Even when we got trounced 70-0 against Melbourne in 2000, you could see disappointment; not tonight. It's like they're a team of strangers that have never met each other before....like turning up for the first game of touch football at the local park for the season, and meeting the motley crew that you're bosses mate put together for the year.

It was 70 - 10. That side scored more getting thrashed then our first 2 games this year!

grouch

First Grade
I think we had a better squad last year personally.

I don't understand the purchase of crap like Nielsen, Rose, and LeStrange, as well as bringing in Cutters rubbish like O'Brien and Wakeman.

In saying that, I don't think the squad is the biggest issue. There are ways to determine if coaching is the problem. The way these guys play with no aggression, no purpose, no enthusiasm, tells me the coach is not getting them up for the games, or at least, they're not buying what he is selling.

The way the set plays all play out 10 yards from the defensive line, tells me that these guys aren't well drilled. The amount of drop ball tells me they are not well drilled and don't really know their role.

This team has youth and athleticism like every other club in this competition. We are not short on decent young athletes, but they become nothing, because of the way they are coached. You look at the Roosters side, and a lot of the youth were unheard of a couple of years ago, but they signed Maloney (we signed Widdop), and the rest have just been bought into good structures and excelled to the point where they are now house hold names.

We need a coach, real bad.
Absolutely spot on.

hardbaby

Coach
NRL will NEVER let the Dragons disappear.

NEVER in a million years.

If the time comes to step in, they will. But it will be to ensure the club is headed back in the right direction.

And unfortunately that is exactly what is required. These idiots can't find the way out. One of the worst run businesses in Australia.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The thing that stuck out for me was that even when the clock got to 10-15 minutes to go and being behind by 16, not once did the dragons look like they were chasing points. They still kicked for territory, they didn't chance their arm. Surely you'd rather cop a few extra tries by throwing something at the defence and possibly making a mistake then just meekly surrendering. It made no sense. The tigers were playing terrible yet at no time did I feel like the dragons were going to chase them down.

hazzbeen

Bench
The thing that stuck out for me was that even when the clock got to 10-15 minutes to go and being behind by 16, not once did the dragons look like they were chasing points. They still kicked for territory, they didn't chance their arm. Surely you'd rather cop a few extra tries by throwing something at the defence and possibly making a mistake then just meekly surrendering. It made no sense. The tigers were playing terrible yet at no time did I feel like the dragons were going to chase them down.

You are spot on mate seen the same thing ...no urgency to pack down a scrum with time running out....they need to look outside their set plays which are not working and play whats in front of them..........