What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Moltzen

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Sheens has said in the past he'd like to follow Manly's recent plan of buying one marquee signing each year. I'm ok with that, don't want to stop developing juniors, but would love to know who our marquee signing for next year is....

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Reek - I agree with you about Tomcat being an idiot.

However - we need to get off our "are we the roosters buying a premiership" horse.

FFS - the Roosters shouldn't even exist - they don't have any juniors - if they didn't buy anyone - they would have no-one.

Footy is like any other business - promote people from within (your juniors) and bring on the highly paid stars (external signings).

Reek - Im sure you wouldnt mind if we had bought a couple of decent props t stiffen up our team.

We could do with a prop, no question....1 prop !!!....but buying players for the sake of buying is ridiculous. Tomcant wants another 7. That's the least of our problems at the moment. Instead of buying 4 nevilles who are just fill-in's.....spend up big on 1 marquee player that we need...absolutely.

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
Well Reek - back to something I said in another threat, Sheens himself has said in the past that a club needs 6 props -

we have:
Galloway
Laurie
Gibbs
Shrinack
Payton

Sheens himself has said that Laurie will end up in the back row and Patyon plays more back row than prop.

Do we really just need one?

tomcat

Juniors
Tomcant, you're a fool. Plain and simple. If this forum had grades you'd be sitting on the hill where you belong.....as a spectator.

What are we, the Roosters ???....Do we wanna buy a premiership or do we want to earn it through hard work via our WT system. Don't know about you Nevilles, but I'd rather nurture our juniors, see them develop through our system rather than having to buy players to win a premiership like the Dogs have done this year.

LETS see how he goes against manly..

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Well Reek - back to something I said in another threat, Sheens himself has said in the past that a club needs 6 props -

we have:
Galloway
Laurie
Gibbs
Shrinack
Payton

Sheens himself has said that Laurie will end up in the back row and Patyon plays more back row than prop.

Do we really just need one?

What the hell does Sheens know. He says he needs props and then buys back rowers and wingers. I think one quality prop will do us. Just having my say.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
LETS see how he goes against manly..

Yeah, good work Tomcant.

You can't expect Moltzen to shine in every game. Be realistic. It's all about gaining experience and learning on the job and getting better, which he has been doing. He still has a lot to learn yet. He doesn't play your classical halfback role in receiving the ball most times as 1st receiver like your Kimmorleys and J.T's. You could see him playing out wide in the centres a fair bit whilst he take turns with Benji as 1st receiver and when J-Mo is on the field. Once he learns how to take control of the game more the better for us. Him and Chuey have consistantly been our best backs all year.

Last edited:

Magpies Forever

Juniors
In his games at halfback to date Moltzen at half has shown more ability than Benji ever did as a half. I'm happy to leave Moltzen at half and gain the experience- at least he has a background as a halfback on which to build. Benji never did.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
In his games at halfback to date Moltzen at half has shown more ability than Benji ever did as a half. I'm happy to leave Moltzen at half and gain the experience- at least he has a background as a halfback on which to build. Benji never did.
bullsh*t.

Marshall still plays more at first receiver than Moltzen does. Marshall still does more kicking in general play than Moltzen does. If anybody thinks Moltzen has played even remotely as a traditional halfback, just because he's wearing the number seven, they're kidding themselves.

What Moltzen has done is shown infinitely more potential as a half than Morris ever did.

tiger_nick

Bench
we're playing left and right side atm. marshall left, moltzen right.

TH is right though, i cant remember Moltz ever getting in at first receiver. Farah seems to be first receiver more then him

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
At the moment our 1st receiver is shared with Moltz, Benji and Farah. Perhaps Supercoach is slowly easing him into the 7 role. I agree with Magpies Forever, Moltzen has shown more potential at 7 (1st receiver) than Marshall. In his early stages of playing at 7, Moltz seems to create more and looks more dangerous with the ball. You get the feeling something is on when Moltz has the ball moreso the Benji. Stick Benji out wide where he belongs as more of a runner and let him weave his magic. Benji does this less in the middle of the park. I'd like to see Moltz be giving more control to run the show more.....that will come in time, I hope.

At the end of the day as long as these 2 are in 6 and 7, that's the main thing. It's working for us so far. Benji has less pressure on him now compared to when J-Mo was there.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Maybe its better to re-phrase things to 'since Moltzen moved to 7 and Benji back to 6 the combination between the 2 has been a success and their working with Farah in leading the team around the park has been good. How they work the 6,7 and 9 roles remains flexible but it has worked and team has clicked with those 3 and Gallant at fullback WT would seem to have a successful 1,6,7 & 9 combination for the first time in a long time.'

TimmyB

Juniors
I wonder if it's a coincidence that our defense has improved a LOT since Gallant has moved to fullback. IE: With the fullback directing the defensive line etc.

It was particularly noticeable against Canberra. Whilst they didn't throw a lot at us, we'd usually concede anyway, especially with the weight of possession against us as it was.

super_coach

First Grade
What Moltzen has is a really good long pass and both sides, and if you look back to 2005 Prince's passing game was his greatest weapon, he would throw the ball into the gaps and the runners would do the rest. I see Moltzen with a similar talent, not as good but the potential is their

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
I thought Timmy did a pretty good job tonight. He didn't have the best game attacking wise. On one occasion he had an overlap and squandared that by running. His passing game sometimes wasn't on the mark.He needs to improve his short kicking game. His workrate and defence was unbelievable.

Last edited:

Juniors
.... His workrate and defence was unbelievable.

For his size, or lack of, he is possibly one of the best halves in defence. Which other half puts as much effort in defence and is as effective, again given his size.

Im more and more impressed with him week in week out.

Marshall also made a few nice one on ones, havent seen that for a while.

b.bear

Juniors
like this kid seems to have a lot of time or gives the impression he has. good kick and pass either side strong defender funny how this also gives robbie and benji more time to do their thing instead the panic play earlier in the year now we just have to find a way finishing the opposition once we have them on the ropes

The best thing happening at the moment is the lack of total reliance on Robbie and/or Benji.

Moltzen is a huge part of that, he gives options that they never had with Morris in the halves.

DanOz

Juniors
Tim highlights how devoid of attacking options we were with Morris at 6. That said, I think Morris will shine in an interchange role with the Sharks.

b.bear

Juniors
Tim highlights how devoid of attacking options we were with Morris at 6. That said, I think Morris will shine in an interchange role with the Sharks.

always should have been on the bench all heart, good defender just not the most skillful player.

Latest posts