What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Moltzen

Magpie Nick

Juniors
Not to take anything away from Moltzen, but having Gallant at fullback had a lot to do with those 6 games. While I do agree that Moltzen should be given a first crack at the halfback spot, I worry that Sheens will insist on putting him at fullback, like he did when Gallant broke his leg. After all, he played Morris in the halves a year and half when there were better options, like Moltzen and Mat Head. I hoping Lazarus gets first crack at the #1 jersey after all he's been through.

Highly unlikely Lazarus will be given first shot considering he's been out for so long. He'll make his way back through reserve grade and it might not even be at the back.

Bricey

Juniors
i know theres a huge step up but i think he can do it within the next year or two

Im sure there is "something" there, not sure that too many of us know what it is.

I dont know this for sure, but with the way the posts have been over the last few weeks, most fans dont want to have to wait "a year or two". We are entering into our 5th season since last making the finals. 4 years where every single one of us has been heard saying "ah well, there is always next year!"

I dont want to wait another year. I want it to be this year damn it!

innsaneink

Referee
Im sure there is "something" there, not sure that too many of us know what it is.

I dont know this for sure, but with the way the posts have been over the last few weeks, most fans dont want to have to wait "a year or two". We are entering into our 5th season since last making the finals. 4 years where every single one of us has been heard saying "ah well, there is always next year!"

I dont want to wait another year. I want it to be this year damn it!

Our pathetic last 4 years & Luis development have nothing to do with each other, hes ready when hes ready.
He was a flegg player last year getting a taste of first grade....I wish people would look at it this way
I think hes destined for lock myself....

Last edited:
how long did it take benji to learn how to defend ???

plus who cares if we won 6 straight with moltzen at half ,we also won 6 straight with morris at half maybe we should of kept him :lol:

Marshall put in effort in tackles at least. Lui is a bludger, constantly got caught out being lazy in defence in Toyota Cup, imagine how badly he'd get shown up in NRL.

super_coach

First Grade
Not to take anything away from Moltzen, but having Gallant at fullback had a lot to do with those 6 games. While I do agree that Moltzen should be given a first crack at the halfback spot, I worry that Sheens will insist on putting him at fullback, like he did when Gallant broke his leg. After all, he played Morris in the halves a year and half when there were better options, like Moltzen and Mat Head. I hoping Lazarus gets first crack at the #1 jersey after all he's been through.

I agree 100% our winning streak at the end of 2009 was built on a lot of things but the Gallant factor was probably the biggest factor. For the first time in the season we had a speed merchant who could turn defense into attack, sniff out a break up the middle and back up a break. So what do we do offer him a big mac and dole money so naturally he heads off to the topics when they throw some money his way

Talanexor

Juniors
I agree 100% our winning streak at the end of 2009 was built on a lot of things but the Gallant factor was probably the biggest factor. For the first time in the season we had a speed merchant who could turn defense into attack, sniff out a break up the middle and back up a break. So what do we do offer him a big mac and dole money so naturally he heads off to the topics when they throw some money his way

I was stoked with signing Gallant too:lol: Wish we'd kept Humble as well, but you can't have everything.

macnaz

Staff member
whys that??? Lui will be a much better half than Moltzen will be
Lol

Spot on Marshal M... Its not only he misses tackles its the fact that he moves around the field in slow motion so he doesnt have to be in a position to attempt to make any more , front rowers run past him to make covering tackles. As for Ink saying a lock! double lol
Its all about having heart not technique Caine Fan and Lui was gifted with f**k all of it.

Lui is SH#T. end of story

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
Hes still clearly got a lot of developing to do....remember a few years ago we are talking about a flegg player, just because they now play NYC on TV every week doesnt mean their development has been fast tracked any quicker...they probably come on a lot quicker as a team with the increased coaching but individually each player is still unique and develops at their own pace/.
LOL at anyone thinking hes gone as far as he can go, lots of learning still to do imo.
Weve seen the ball playing skills he posseses, maybe getting a taste of the senior squad and then going back down to reggies a few times will be the wake up call to play with some heart that he apparently doesnt possess...it may be fitness hes lacking...but yeh continue to write off flegg players

super_coach

First Grade
Iam willing to give Lui another year, Sheens who usually likes to give the young ones about half a season off the bench in three minute spells decided last year to throw him in at the deep end in a crunch match. I think he got lost a little at that level, but he has skills all the other things can be coached

macnaz

Staff member
I hope u guys are right, i just think regardless of his age anyone with the goods should be giving it their all when they get a chance at the big time and not put in 50% . I wouldnt have an issue with him making mistakes and missing tackles because thats all part of learning, but if they come from being lazy then thats a differant kettle of fish. Actualy he reminds me of owen gragie, he had the skillls but lacked the passion and effort .

Last edited:

youngun

Juniors
Agreeded that maybe he seemed a bit lazy out there but when you consider the massive leap from NYC to NRL both physically and mentally I think we need to give him a bit of slack. If he were to continue playing lazy after several games in the top grade then by all means label him lazy but a lot of his "laziness" could be attributed to his lack of fitness and the jump from 20's to the big boys.

gronkathon

First Grade
Lui's defence and attitude improved dramatically from 2008 to 2009. His year under Grant Jones made him a better player.

Give him the time required to grow.

At least this year we have genuine half options all of whom have some, if minimal, first grade experience and as such we are in a much better position.

Hell we even have options as to the type of half we want to use to work with Marshall from the flashy Moltzen & Taumata to the ball running type in Ayshford and Fulton

Bulli Tiger

Juniors
I agree with TT. Moltzen is a geniune half back. If he starts the season at half & has good form leading up to the rep season, he would be in the frame to play rep footy this season. Rep selectors have tried Wallace, Pearce, Kimmorley
at half in recent seasons at rep level, with no results. Maybe Carney is a chance, but it looks like Smith has Carney earmarked to play fullback.

Palms

Juniors
Totally agree as well that Moltzen showed more then enough in his stint at halfback to warrant first shot at halfback for 2010. With Tuqiri, Brown, Lazarus and Mullaney (who I think would benefit from one more year in the junior ranks) I see more then enough depth. As previously mentioned with Farah and Marshall being our main general play kickers, Moltzen's kicking game is not so essential to our team as a normal halfback would be to most clubs

westie

Bench
f**k this, I'm putting my hat in the ring to play next year. King Tigerman can play front row.

gronkathon

First Grade
Leo Dynevor without the skill.

Yeah Dynevor, the man with all the skill required to play badly in a attrocious Magpies outfit.

If Hanley was the Black Pearl Dynevor was the Black Bog.

I suppose we just have to wait for the next great halfback from the junior nursery that has bought us such great halves as.... oh wait

innsaneink

Referee
Dynevor looked very good at times behind a decent pack...was it the Knights he was with for a while?

westie

Bench
Before my time, but Joey had a mega wrap on him while he was at Newcastle.

I only ever saw him when he was sh*t. Which indicates what I think of the abilities of our current half backs, apart from Taumata, who isn't even a halfback anyway.

Latest posts