What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Moltzen

Tiger_Tomato

Juniors
I've noticed alot on this forum that there is a general consensus that we don't have a genuine halfback.

Its pretty simple, we do, and he's name is Tim moltzen.

He played, what? 6 games at half last year and every game the tigers won! Not bad. And IMO we would have been in the finals had moltzen been retained at half instead of dropping back to fullback when gallant got injured for the rest of the season.

Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad little fullback, but he's a dynamo half, future origin half! Quick, still growing, great kicker and more importantly has developed a good partnership with benji. Something we haven't seen since Princy left.

Moltz should where the 7 from round one. Finals are a shu in if he does!

Vic Mackey

Referee
sheens has been quoted as saying 'moltzen could be a good halfback, but he could be a great fullback'

too bad he is the only one who thinks this

Tiger_Tomato

Juniors
True, it is definitely frustrating knowing what he is cabable of in the 7. Much more balanced line up with molt in 7 and benji in 6. Then maybe more of a strong running #1, I hear lote may be interested!!!

youngun

Juniors
I've noticed alot on this forum that there is a general consensus that we don't have a genuine halfback.

He played, what? 6 games at half last year and every game the tigers won! Not bad. And IMO we would have been in the finals had moltzen been retained at half instead of dropping back to fullback when gallant got injured for the rest of the season.

Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad little fullback, but he's a dynamo half, future origin half! Quick, still growing, great kicker and more importantly has developed a good partnership with benji. Something we haven't seen since Princy left.

Good post Tiger_Tomato and I agree almost completely with your thoughts, however I have to say that I think the one area that he falls down is actually his general kicks in play, I did't see a lot of quality kicks from him in this area.

I know that is only minor and don't think I'm trying to bring him down because I think he is a quality halfback with a massive future but with Benji's lack of quality kicks in general play it is so important for our team to have a halfback that has this quality in his kit. I hope a good off-season and a real opportunity to stack a claim on the position this season will put rest to my only concern in his game.

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
TT not sure who is saying we dont have a genuine half.

That talk was around the Matty Head farse.

I certainly believe that Moltzen could be another Prince down the track and am well in the belief that he plays better at 7 than anywhere else.

Tiger_Tomato

Juniors
but with Benji's lack of quality kicks in general play it is so important for our team to have a halfback that has this quality in his kit.

I think perhaps we are a little bit blessed in the fact that robbie has a great kick in general play game. Having three options in that area eases the pressure on Moltzen in that regard.

youngun

Juniors
I think perhaps we are a little bit blessed in the fact that robbie has a great kick in general play game. Having three options in that area eases the pressure on Moltzen in that regard.

Yeah I see your point and agree that Farah has a good kicking game but I think to rely on Farah for those kicks presents two problems..1. Not a good option when close to the line and defence rushing out of the line to defuse and 2. predictable.

I think Moltz will develop this area of his game and eventually be the go to man for attacking kicks.

DanOz

Juniors
I think more people on this forum than not have been advocating Moltzen for half back.

Talanexor

Juniors
Added to that, quality halfbacks are few and far between. They are almost never on the open market, or if they are, their asking price is so high they go to ESL or Yawnion. The only way to get a great halfback is to develop one yourself.

With this in mind, it seems crazy to have Moltzen playing fullback. Even if it was his best position (and I don't think it is), there are plenty of players around who could do just as good a job at fullback. Not so at halfback.

Take the Dragons for example. Ben Hornby is a much better fullback than halfback. Better than Boyd by a long way. Why is he playing at halfback? Because he's better than every other option they have at the Dragons...except maybe Fien, if he hits a bit of form.

I'd like to know who Sheens has in mind to play 7 if Moltzen will be fullback. If its Lui you guys are screwed.

innsaneink

Referee
Why dont we see how taumata goes in the 7 as well?
He may be even better than Moltzen....looks a lot quicker and crisper (passing) anyway

DanOz

Juniors
Tim was a genuine 7, Arana as far as I know was only ever a 6. He may well make the transition, but I worry if he will even be at the club by the end of the year with his history - just as Carney does not look to have learned his lesson either...

Added to that, quality halfbacks are few and far between. They are almost never on the open market, or if they are, their asking price is so high they go to ESL or Yawnion. The only way to get a great halfback is to develop one yourself.

With this in mind, it seems crazy to have Moltzen playing fullback. Even if it was his best position (and I don't think it is), there are plenty of players around who could do just as good a job at fullback. Not so at halfback.

Take the Dragons for example. Ben Hornby is a much better fullback than halfback. Better than Boyd by a long way. Why is he playing at halfback? Because he's better than every other option they have at the Dragons...except maybe Fien, if he hits a bit of form.

I'd like to know who Sheens has in mind to play 7 if Moltzen will be fullback. If its Lui you guys are screwed.

whys that??? Lui will be a much better half than Moltzen will be

innsaneink

Referee
Tim was a genuine 7, Arana as far as I know was only ever a 6. He may well make the transition, but I worry if he will even be at the club by the end of the year with his history - just as Carney does not look to have learned his lesson either...

Yeh I wasnt sure of him at 6 or 7, havent paid much attention until I heard we'd signed him.
No point worrying about something that may or may not occur....its like injuries

DanOz

Juniors
Yeh I wasnt sure of him at 6 or 7, havent paid much attention until I heard we'd signed him.
No point worrying about something that may or may not occur....its like injuries

Fair call, but I think Tim deserves 1st shot at the jumper, and a decent shot. Morris got 2 years, I think they can give Tim half a season to show if he can cut it.

Fordy20

Juniors

Not to take anything away from Moltzen, but having Gallant at fullback had a lot to do with those 6 games. While I do agree that Moltzen should be given a first crack at the halfback spot, I worry that Sheens will insist on putting him at fullback, like he did when Gallant broke his leg. After all, he played Morris in the halves a year and half when there were better options, like Moltzen and Mat Head. I hoping Lazarus gets first crack at the #1 jersey after all he's been through.

Latest posts