What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Smith on Footy Show

goboggo

Juniors
sooperdooper said:
He isnt as bad as defending as some say, he is like most half backs... you need a good defence next to them!
I think I remember reading someone say that they thought he has struggled a bit more in defence since his injuries last year. Not sure if it's true but I certainly don't remember him struggling too much in 05 with defence.

He's had his issues this year and last, but mainly because the opposition send all their big men his way I think.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
goboggo said:
I think I remember reading someone say that they thought he has struggled a bit more in defence since his injuries last year. Not sure if it's true but I certainly don't remember him struggling too much in 05 with defence.

He's had his issues this year and last, but mainly because the opposition send all their big men his way I think.
In 05 against caberra at parra stadium i remember ian hindy just threw him off and scored a try lol

but timmy has developed alot and he is now seeing the rewards. if anyone see's him out, you will see he has a good time and has a drink but does not go out and look for attention and carry on, because he knows there will always be that idiot trying to start a fight with him

V1er

Juniors
I loved the footage of his reaction to one of our tries we scored , he just about jumped out of his skin

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
goboggo said:
?? No I missed it. What did he say?

They asked about his tatt and he pointed out the 'Chinese' Koi.

Chinese.. Japanese.. what's the difference? :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for Timmy's defence, he missed so few in '05 because he always went low, which doesn't help when every player in the game can offload the ball these days.

This year (and last year) he's trying to wrap the ball up if he's first man into the tackle and so he's obviously getting thrown off a bit more.

caylo

Bench
Poupou Escobar said:
They asked about his tatt and he pointed out the 'Chinese' Koi.

Chinese.. Japanese.. what's the difference? :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for Timmy's defence, he missed so few in '05 because he always went low, which doesn't help when every player in the game can offload the ball these days.

This year (and last year) he's trying to wrap the ball up if he's first man into the tackle and so he's obviously getting thrown off a bit more.

Definatly, in the first year he was tackling low so didn't miss many, but made alot of ineffective tackles because most players would just ofload the ball. He has a pretty good low tackling technique, but like you stated he has had to do alot more body tackleing to wrap the ball up, and does get thrown off, ala Wesser, Harrison etc. Timmy has some work he can do on his defence (he is 96kg - not a small bloke). He isn't the worst defencive halfback goin around (noddy, thurston, and gower can claim those)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
caylo said:
He isn't the worst defencive halfback goin around (noddy, thurston, and gower can claim those)

I haven't seen much of Gower this year but I always thought he was one of the best defensive halfbacks in the game.

But yeah, Kimmorley and Thurston are pretty ordinary.

strider

Post Whore
ricky has had noddy on the angry pills this yr - he's been throwing himself into the defense and not doing too bad i thought

Nikki

Coach
I actually didnt think they talked to Timmy enough about himself. They seemed obsessed with INU. Which is fine.. Might have been better if he was sittin in Timmys seat. lol.

caylo

Bench
Poupou Escobar said:
I haven't seen much of Gower this year but I always thought he was one of the best defensive halfbacks in the game.

But yeah, Kimmorley and Thurston are pretty ordinary.

You may be correct i just always had Gower as similar to Kimmorley, attempt 40 tackles a game and miss 35. One halve who had size but was horrible in defence was Barrett though. If he connected he would get you sweet, but he connect with one in every 10 attempts.

Utey

Coach
caylo said:
You may be correct i just always had Gower as similar to Kimmorley, attempt 40 tackles a game and miss 35. One halve who had size but was horrible in defence was Barrett though. If he connected he would get you sweet, but he connect with one in every 10 attempts.

You should watch the game more closely.