What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Smith

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
Yep, that's right...your point being?

My point being if we do lose Tim Smith the club will know about it and he won't be taken away in the middle of a dark stormy night without anyone knowing.

yy_cheng

Coach
If we lose him, we lose him.

It will then be up to Blake to step up. And if he doesn't, we'll go out in the market.

Maybe bring Anasta over. ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
My point being if we do lose Tim Smith the club will know about it and he won't be taken away in the middle of a dark stormy night without anyone knowing.

off course they will...if something was to happen now, this is how I percieve it.

Malcom Noad rings David Riolo and says the Canterbury club would like Tim Smith at their roster for 2008 + 3 years on top of that as they will be releasing Brent Sherwin at the end of the regular season. The offer will be for 300K for the first season 350K for the next 2 and 380K for the 4th season with an option being in favour of the club.

Riolo rings Hagan, Zap or Mitchell and says Tims been offered this, please match it.

what do you do??

lucablight

First Grade
Obviously you would have to weigh up all the factors and determine whether retaining the player would be in your best interests.

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
Obviously you would have to weigh up all the factors and determine whether retaining the player would be in your best interests.

Absolutely, obviously the scene that I set up can easily go over 3 or 4 months before a decision by either parties is made..I'm just trying to paint a picture at what might happen.

strider

Post Whore
there's no necessity for the current club to get any last word if a player is leaving ... a player can just piss off if he wants to

generally the only time a player is bound to let the club know was in the past when clubs let players negotiate early yet still wanted to retain the player .... BUT there's no concept of "negotiating early" now that the june 30 thing is gone

so if a player wanted to leave, potentially the first the club could hear about it would be the media release

it wouldn't necessarily leave the player manager in a good position with the old club but do clubs and managers get along that well anyway??

Stagger eel

Staff member
strider said:
there's no necessity for the current club to get any last word if a player is leaving ... a player can just piss off if he wants to

generally the only time a player is bound to let the club know was in the past when clubs let players negotiate early yet still wanted to retain the player .... BUT there's no concept of "negotiating early" now that the june 30 thing is gone

so if a player wanted to leave, potentially the first the club could hear about it would be the media release

it wouldn't necessarily leave the player manager in a good position with the old club but do clubs and managers get along that well anyway??

that's true too..

A club official I spoke to resently refered player managers as neccesary evils.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
crazy discussion-

now that it's all open slather and anybody can sign anyone, anytime,

if parra have about $200,000 remaining in their cap for 07 after all their siginings.
can parra right now go and sign sonny bill williams in 08. structure his contract so that he gets $200,000 in 07, and then $300,000 in 08.

this way, sonny effectively gets $500,000 for one year, parra have not technically breached their cap.

Perrymatta

Juniors
Timmy signed with us in the first place because he grew up an Eels fan, i can't see him leaving if the club is at least running decent next year.

bartman

Immortal
Tyler Durden said:
if parra have about $200,000 remaining in their cap for 07 after all their siginings.
can parra right now go and sign sonny bill williams in 08. structure his contract so that he gets $200,000 in 07, and then $300,000 in 08.

this way, sonny effectively gets $500,000 for one year, parra have not technically breached their cap.
I think the NRL outlawed that kind of manoevre after Manly used it in getting Brett Kennedy? But I'm still not a fan of this open slather free market anytime thing.

It just plays into the hands of player managers wanting to talk up their clients and shop them around for top $ while they are meant to be concentrating on the season at hand playing some decent footy at their club. It will get in the way of team/club loyalty and the coach's job to build unity - although we wish players were professional in their approach to their efforts when disruptions are going down, we know that it often has a massive effect.

Negotiating better contracts when they expire is the player managers' livelihood, and the NRL has just allowed them to play a bigger role in the game than they were already under the June 30 rule. I'm a firm believer that if a player just buckles down and performs on the field, that will stand them in better stead for quality offers (from their current as well as other clubs) rolling in, than having one of these Jerry Maguire types playing clubs and the media against each other in the player's name.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
agreed.

it's tough enough for a club to manage to the salary cap, but in the past, they only really had to look a year ahead, and only focus on those players that were off contract.

add into the equation random random raids from union and players heading off to the UK for the $$$$$$, and now clubs need to look at every player and plan for the future and keep it all legitimately under the cap - very interesting times ahead.

draft anyone ?

The Colonel

Immortal
Tyler Durden said:
crazy discussion-

now that it's all open slather and anybody can sign anyone, anytime,

Not anymore. There is a minimum that has to be spent in the cap each year and you can't use what is left of this years cap to front load contracts for another year.