What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Kogarah to gain its fair share

R2K

Bench
Season 2007 provides the St.George-Illawarra management with a clear opportunity to grant OKI Jubilee Stadium the six NRL home games the venue so thoroughly deserves.

Due to an array of factors Jubilee Stadium has failed to host more than five matches in a season since the formation of the Dragons’ joint venture.

With the Roosters hosting the annual ANZAC Day match in 2007 there is no perceptible reason why the Club’s Directors can’t allocate Kogarah six NRL home games.

However, for the previous two seasons there have been discussions on the possibility of moving matches away from Kogarah.

In 2005 the St.George Bank Dragons reportedly knocked back a potential $200,000 windfall by rejecting an offer from the SCG Trust to relocate the Parramatta blockbuster to Aussie Home Loans Stadium.

In 2006, the Dragons’ Board decided against a proposal to switch the round 24 Wests Tigers match to the SCG as part of the NRL’s "60’s week" celebrations.

The proposed switch from Kogarah was vigorously opposed by local businesses, St.George Councillors and the Dragons’ passionate supporter base.

When the Dragons announced that the match against the Wests Tigers was remaining at Kogarah, Dragons’ CEO Peter Doust issued the following statement:

"On this occasion, we believed we should respect the commitment made to five home games at OKI Jubilee in 2006 – as advertised, particularly in our Membership and Ticketing promotions since late last year."

At the same time, Dragons’ Chairman Warren Lockwood stated the Dragons would not rule out evaluating such "…commercial options to improve our business model over time."

With such factors in mind, it will be interesting to see how the Dragons present their 2007 Membership and Ticketing promotions. The Dragons’ management should always be mindful of the popularity of Kogarah with the supporter base and that the venue continues to go from strength to strength in terms of facilities.

Following the recent $8 million Federal Government upgrade, the Dragons’ spiritual home has been transformed into a premier boutique sporting facility that is set to be further enhanced with the additional funding of $7 million from the NSW State Government.

While a formal timetable for the next stage of the major upgrade works is yet to be announced, the OKI Steering Committee is already focusing on the embellishment of Kogarah Park.

The dilapidated playground bordering the training field is set to gain a $70,000 refurbishment, the size of the gymnasium adjoining Kogarah Park will be increased, while Kogarah Council will apply to the Department of Veterans Affairs for grant funding to refurbish the Park’s War Memorial.

Following the completion of the 2006 season, the Dragons have now played 395 matches at Kogarah since 1950. The Dragons have recorded 270 victories, 115 losses and 10 draws.

http://www.r2k.info/index2.html

Ok so the capacity is currently 20 000 and a wee bit after the current work, will it go up a few thousand more when the next stage is completed?

Follow Me Up To Carlton said:
Ok so the capacity is currently 20 000 and a wee bit after the current work, will it go up a few thousand more when the next stage is completed?

By my estimation we can expect at least an increase in capacity by 2,000 should all three new stands under the master plan come to fruition. I regard that as a very conservative estimate and I reckon the master plan could potentially include up to 3,500 new seats.

R2K

Bench

Bates (Project Manager) has flagged 23,000 although that seems conservative like HMS stated.

The Preacher

First Grade
Father Ted said:
You forgot the CEO factor fellow religious one .

I thought I'd let a day pass without upsetting myself by thinking about Mr.Tired & Emotional.
The question will be asked at the AGM. I don't think there can be any confidentiality clause tied to next seasons draw, so I may get an answer to my question this time.:shock:

Father Ted

First Grade
The Preacher said:
I thought I'd let a day pass without upsetting myself by thinking about Mr.Tired & Emotional.
The question will be asked at the AGM. I don't think there can be any confidentiality clause tied to next seasons draw, so I may get an answer to my question this time.:shock:

I take some comfort that at least one generation is not taken in by the great ones business cliches .

Wicks

Juniors
The Preacher said:
The question will be asked at the AGM. I don't think there can be any confidentiality clause tied to next seasons draw

The draw and home game split comes out before the AGM

The Preacher said:
We surely HAVE to get half the games next season, their can be NO argument to that.

Having observed how the club operates over the last 7 years or so my guess is that the stars having aligned Kogarah will indeed get 6 games next year but will go back down to five the next year.

The mantra being that Jubilee seeing half the games is an exception, and getting five or less the norm.

R2K said:
Bates (Project Manager) has flagged 23,000 although that seems conservative like HMS stated.

Interesting that would make it the highest capacity suburban ground, just piping Brookvale.

Perhaps it may see crowds of 25 0000 again when we begin to relax this overblown "safety" nonsense. The club has already shown it's happy to make the hill all standing for big games which is a good sign.

In anycase 23/24 000 is ideal.

With suburban grounds I reckon recent record crowds are a just as useful measure as capacity figures because the latter tend to be estimates at best.

The remaining suburban grounds in the NRL:
(Capacity listed first then highest crowd since 1/1/2003 - both couresy of Austadiums.com)

Brookvale Oval - 23,000 - 20,163
Parramatta Stadium - 20,000 - 21,141
Penrith Stadium - 21,000 - 22,304
Toyota Park - 21,500 - 22,302
Leichardt Oval - 20,000 - 22,877
Campbelltown Stadium - 20,000 - 20,527

A capacity of 23,000 plus will make Kogarah the highest capacity suburban ground in the NRL.

Perhaps it may see crowds of 25 0000 again when we begin to relax this overblown "safety" nonsense. The club has already shown it's happy to make the hill all standing for big games which is a good sign.

In anycase 23/24 000 is ideal.

250,000 people!!!! WOW!!!!

ok I know you meant 25,000. And that said I hope to god you are right. I for one was disappointed with our Kogarah Attendances last year. All the Sunday arvo games had beautiful weather but way too many vacant seats. I feared that our supposed massive fan base now would rather stay at home than plonk their bum on a seat at the ground.

However if the games are spread evenly over the season I think this is acheivable. We'd definitely pack it for the clashes with Sharks (WTF idea was it sending this to WIN???? DUMB) and Dogs given good weather.

Bring back John Fifita said:
250,000 people!!!! WOW!!!!

ok I know you meant 25,000. And that said I hope to god you are right. I for one was disappointed with our Kogarah Attendances last year. All the Sunday arvo games had beautiful weather but way too many vacant seats. I feared that our supposed massive fan base now would rather stay at home than plonk their bum on a seat at the ground.

However if the games are spread evenly over the season I think this is acheivable. We'd definitely pack it for the clashes with Sharks (WTF idea was it sending this to WIN???? DUMB) and Dogs given good weather.

Well according to my old man there where 250 000 there against Souths in 75.;-)

The Preacher

First Grade
Bring back John Fifita said:

BBJF, I think you'll find that was due to the fact that the board did not want the game used as a type of farewell from Oki ( of which he was never afforded ) or a big incentive for Lance. No matter what they say, they didn't want it to be "all about Lance day".

The Preacher said:
BBJF, I think you'll find that was due to the fact that the board did not want the game used as a type of farewell from Oki ( of which he was never afforded ) or a big incentive for Lance. No matter what they say, they didn't want it to be "all about Lance day".

Interesting theory, that the board of a club would alter/allocate the venue of a game because of the presence of an opposition player..sound ludicrous in those terms but thats basically what it is. That said, I would say its quite a credible theory.

Latest posts