What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for names on jerseys?

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
Isn't it about time the NRL followed the Super League and Premier League soccer to get players names on the back of jerseys? It happens in SOO, so why not in the NRL?
Largecivonecivabackweb.jpg

Jono078

Referee
I'm a fan of names on jerseys, only as long as each player has a number assigned to them just like the ESL and NFL in America.

That would increase merchandise so much IMO especially of the profile players.

Loudstrat

Coach
Because it's for lazy fans. No point.

Besides, is that Civoniceva's jersey or Tony Ferguson's?

Jono078

Referee
Yeah it does look a little stupid with the sponsors there..

Sanyo Civoniceva anyone?

The problem for the club is cost. When the Storm were doing it during their early years, they had to buy 5 jerseys for Matt Geyer within the first 6 rounds because he played in numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6.

DeeJ

Bench
I would like named jerseys to feature on Grand Final teams.

Although going from the back of that Panther jersey, they look pretty busy with words already.

Scottey

Juniors
I don't know if there's a need for it... The true fans know who they are and the bandwagoners probably don't care.

Personally I look at the number's on their back and think OK no.7, that's our halfback etc so custom numbers would be kind of confusing too.

Once Dead

Bench
It was floated by the Wests Tigers a few years back but rejected.

The NRL has some stupid rule about jersey numbers too and rejected the Tigers' use of claws across the corner of numbers but refused to do anything to Melbourne's little thunderbolt two years on.

Frederick

Staff member
The problem for the club is cost. When the Storm were doing it during their early years, they had to buy 5 jerseys for Matt Geyer within the first 6 rounds because he played in numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6.
Why not just do as they do in the UK and assign each player a squad number that's theirs for the season?

GC_Gladiator

Juniors

Why do you need to change the numbers? Give Geyer the number 1, does it matter if the number 1 is playing in five eight?

sting

Bench
Why not just do as they do in the UK and assign each player a squad number that's theirs for the season?

cause it's stupid when players change position down the track and when teams have heaps of debutants and reserve graders coming up and end up with your fullback playing in number 42