What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for names on jerseys?

Danish

Referee
The problem for the club is cost. When the Storm were doing it during their early years, they had to buy 5 jerseys for Matt Geyer within the first 6 rounds because he played in numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6.

Players get a new jersey every week. They do not wear the same jersey over and over again.

Timbo

Staff member
It was floated by the Wests Tigers a few years back but rejected.

The NRL has some stupid rule about jersey numbers too and rejected the Tigers' use of claws across the corner of numbers but refused to do anything to Melbourne's little thunderbolt two years on.

Yeah, the NRL is ridiculously anal when it comes to jersey numbers.

It actually makes them look dumber when a team has a swathe of injuries midweek, and you have 18, 19, 20, 21 on the field and stuff. Who the hell are these guys?

Super 14 Rugby has it right in my opinion - you line up 1 - 22 regardless of the team named during the week. If the team changes ten minutes before kickoff it doesn't matter, you wear the number corresponding your position.

As for names on jerseys, I have no problem. Seems good to me?

rabbitohs

Juniors
Would only happen if the money made by selling personalised jumpers (that much more than they sell at the moment) was more than the sponsorship money gained by having such a prominent position. This would be VERY unlikely.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
So you buy a No. 7 Dragons jersey with HORNBY on the back, and a week later, when he gets replaced by Matt Head, you go and buy another one?

Possible - but for 2 factors:
1) Global Financial Crisis, and
2) Not everyone wins lotto.

Completely missing the point as usual.

joshreading

Staff member
Not needed, I know who the players are, do you ?

There are a couple posts like this AND IT GIVES US INSIGHT INTO PROBLEMS WITH RL EXPANSION!!!!

Shhhhhh.... Listen closely - ITS NOT FOR YOU!!! It is for the new fans, the kids, the curious, yes even the bandwagoners because each of these can quicker identify with the game, club and players IF THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE.

Ps... obviously I think that their names in some way should be put on the back

hellteam

First Grade
Players get a new jersey every week. They do not wear the same jersey over and over again.

Yes they do wear them more then once. They might go through a few jerseys a year (rips etc) , but they dont just get a new one every game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I would like named jerseys to feature on Grand Final teams.
Absolutely agree, very good idea.
It was floated by the Wests Tigers a few years back but rejected.

The NRL has some stupid rule about jersey numbers too and rejected the Tigers' use of claws across the corner of numbers but refused to do anything to Melbourne's little thunderbolt two years on.
Key difference - Melbourne's were tiny within the number - the Tigers obstructed the view of part of the number particularly making it hard to establish 8, 9, 18, 19 and also 5, 6, 15 and 16.
I think it would add a bit more 'prestige' or class to the jersey if all the numbers throughout all the clubs were set to one particular font, such as in the Premier League. Looks good IMO.

But thats just being picky.
Agreed. Souths last year had a few weeks where even internally some number fonts were different for some players. Looks cheap and tacky.

One off jerseys (heritage round, ANZAC match) they will wear the jersey only once. Home and away strips get used repeatedly throughout the season, until damaged or possibly auctioned off for charity.

jed

First Grade
Yeah, the NRL is ridiculously anal when it comes to jersey numbers.

It actually makes them look dumber when a team has a swathe of injuries midweek, and you have 18, 19, 20, 21 on the field and stuff. Who the hell are these guys?
I love when you read in the paper that the jersey numbers are courtesy of Big League. Since when did they take ownership of the numbers 1-17? It reminds me of my old days watching Sesame Street. "Today's show was proudly brought to you by the letter M, the number 11 and the color red"

So you buy a No. 7 Dragons jersey with HORNBY on the back, and a week later, when he gets replaced by Matt Head, you go and buy another one?

Possible - but for 2 factors:
1) Global Financial Crisis, and
2) Not everyone wins lotto.

If you're blaming the GFC, a jersey shouldn't be on the top of the list. So, no, you wouldn't.

Danish

Referee
Wrong...they are usually worn for 3 or 4 games unless damaged or permanentlt stained.

Must be different at each club as the roosters get new ones each game.

Then again we auction off jerseys every week too so they obviously have a good agreement going