What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for names on jerseys?

Joker's Wild

Coach
cause it's stupid when players change position down the track and when teams have heaps of debutants and reserve graders coming up and end up with your fullback playing in number 42

Why does that matter? A fullback wearing #1 or #42 is still a fullback.

As long as there is so many sponsors on the current jerseys a players name would get lost.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Not needed, I know who the players are, do you ?

agreed
i know most players by look, if not i go by the number, which equates to the position they are playing and i know from there.
Sounds like a waste of time and money to me

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
What about the kids who go out and buy a raiders number 3 jersey because of big Mel Meninga.. I'd be f'd if I was 10 and people thought i liked Adrien Purtell..

sting

Bench
Why does that matter? A fullback wearing #1 or #42 is still a fullback.

As long as there is so many sponsors on the current jerseys a players name would get lost.

i dunno it just irritates me. i think it looks stupid when they show the team lists at the start as well.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Been there, done that.

I mean Ch 9, Fox, 2GB, ABC tell you who's in the team before the match and what numbers they'll be wearing.

Chook Norris

First Grade
I would like named jerseys to feature on Grand Final teams.

Although going from the back of that Panther jersey, they look pretty busy with words already.

i like having the names on the back of the jersey, but not if it looks as cluttered as that

it's not needed during the season, but for the finals series i think it's worth considering

tdawg

Juniors
i personally love the feeling of running on to the field with my name on the back of my jersey. but i'd say with all the glamour and fame already associated with nrl stars they wouldn't really give a toss about what their jerseys read. individual clubs should be able to choose if they want to put names on their jerseys or not.

Loudstrat

Coach
The only reason to have names on the jerseys is so that players know which is theirs. SBW even had his name tattooed on his back to remind him how it was spelled.

Silly idea. Players have numbers for their positions. No need to change that. Get a program.

Charlie124

First Grade
I dont mind the names but only if there is no other advertising on the back of the jersey (which isnt going to happen).

Numbers should only be 1 to 17

Sleep

Juniors
It looks good on the NFL and NBA jerseys and even the State Of Origin ones. But as so many other people have said, with the advertising all over the place it looks like balls.

But to push the idea, if you buy an NFL jersey you can change the name plate on it incase the player switches teams and etc. That'd be an easy way to solve the number/position problem.

ozjet1

yep, here's an avenue for clubs to make some revenue from merchandising, but the geriatric thinking of administrators will prohibit it...."the traditional way to number players is 1 to 17, thats the way it should stay........blah, blah, blah."

football clubs have never made enough money to fund their own operations.....hence we have leagues clubs. perhaps the NRL and football clubs should get with the program as with the majority of businesses on the planet. in addition to revenue sharing from tv rights and sponsorship, they need to find ways where clubs can make some dosh from their own activities rather than depending upon the drunken gambler at the leagues to pay player salaries.

Loudstrat

Coach
So you buy a No. 7 Dragons jersey with HORNBY on the back, and a week later, when he gets replaced by Matt Head, you go and buy another one?

Possible - but for 2 factors:
1) Global Financial Crisis, and
2) Not everyone wins lotto.

hellteam

First Grade
I think it would add a bit more 'prestige' or class to the jersey if all the numbers throughout all the clubs were set to one particular font, such as in the Premier League. Looks good IMO.

But thats just being picky.

ozjet1

So you buy a No. 7 Dragons jersey with HORNBY on the back, and a week later, when he gets replaced by Matt Head, you go and buy another one?

Possible - but for 2 factors:
1) Global Financial Crisis, and
2) Not everyone wins lotto.

to capitalise on merchandising and brand recognition, each player would keep their number for their entire career at a club.....so whatever position Hornby plays week to week, he keeps his personal digit(s).

i have faith in most rugby league supporters to be able to deduce from general play, which position a player is filling.

jed

First Grade
i have faith in most rugby league supporters to be able to deduce from general play, which position a player is filling.
And let's face it, how many games do you see the starting 13 all play at their numbered position for the entire time they're on the field?

IanG

Coach
It looks good on the NFL and NBA jerseys and even the State Of Origin ones. But as so many other people have said, with the advertising all over the place it looks like balls.

Yeah and on One Day Cricket Shirts too.

Eels Dude

Coach
It sounds like a wasted hassle to me. If you're at the game a lot of the time it would be impossible to make out the names on the back anyway. I like sticking with 1 - 17 too. None of this assign a player a number and then retire it when they retire rubbish.

Anyone remember when Tony Lockett made his comeback for the Swans a few years ago? He wanted his old number back, but the guy who had taken over his number refused to give it back to him and there was a bit of a fallout. There's no need for that petty rubbish.

Shorty

Staff member
I like the numbers on the back of the jumper.
It's not about knowing who is playing what position, it's more than that.
The jumpers would look a bit more decent and not as cheap and tacky...honestly we should have names on the jerseys.

I do agree though that on that Panthers one it looks horrible.
And I don't agree with the own number system either - Are League fans honestly arguing this? What the hell is wrong with you? It's always been 1-17.

I think the finals and GF should definitely be taken into consideration.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
there's also a certain prestige about wearing the number X, when a great plaeyr's worn ti ebfor eyou. they talk about wearing the parra number 7 for instance, and making the #1 jeresey their own

even when superleague had all the numbers, most of the first graders just picked their normal numebrs anyway except for the tryhards who chose 23...

i dont mind the idea of players having anems for maybe finals and grand finals as those are the showcase games