What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for you to be the recruiter

Dragonslayer

First Grade
With the June 30 deadline fast approaching, it's a good time for you guys to play recruiter for the dragons. It's not as easy as it seems by the way.

As a recruiter you must remain within the salary cap and have a max of 25 players who can share that amount. Also, you can recruit/replace/add anyone outside of the cap up to a max 460k.

So, this is our Salary cap + 460k contracted squad (at present 28 players).

LAM (2018), Aitken (2017), Carr (2016), Cooper (2017), Creagh (2016), JDB (2017), Dugan (2017), KFFL (2017), Friz (2018), YKG (2017), Havili (2017), Hutch (2017), Lafai (2017), Lui (2017), Mann (2017), Marketo (2016), Marshall (2016), Masoe (2017), Matthews (2017), McCarthy (2017), McCrone (2017), Milne (2017), Gypsy (2017), Packer (2017), Quinlan (2016), Rein (2016), Thompson (2016*), Widdop (2017).
* = Looks to have signed a 2 yr extension, but to be confirmed.

If you wish to replace/let go any player from this list you'll probably only be able to replace with equal value, given the salary cap pressures eg. if you wish to replace McCrone you couldn't replace him with Shaun Johnson (extreme but you get my point).

Also, who are our 25 contracted NRL players? Do we actually have 25 (from the list given), seeing we have already seen PM and Ikahihifo leave. By my reckoning we probably have 23 and 5 in tier 2 payments (Carr, YKG, Hutch, Milne and Quinlan...IMO but I could be wrong on 1 or 2). Although we just upgraded Sele and Herbert, I don't think they come into calculations until the start of next year.

You can upgrade a player from tier 2 to tier 1, or you can recruit a player from another club (probably one whose looking to get out) or upgrade a Cutters player.

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on who you would recruit, and why, and remain within the salary cap parameters. (and guys/girls no fanciful stuff please!)

Ok, over to you......................

Last edited:

Saintsified

Bench
With the June 30 deadline fast approaching, it's a good time for you guys to play recruiter for the dragons. It's not as easy as it seems by the way.

As a recruiter you must remain within the salary cap and have a max of 25 players who can share that amount. Also, you can recruit/replace/add anyone outside of the cap up to a max 460k.

LAM (2018), Aitken (2017), Carr (2016), Cooper (2017), Creagh (2016), JDB (2017), Dugan (2017), KFFL (2017), Friz (2018), YKG (2017), Havili (2017), Hutch (2017), Lafai (2017), Lui (2017), Mann (2017), Marketo (2016), Marshall (2016), Masoe (2017), Matthews (2017), McCarthy (2017), McCrone (2017), Milne (2017), Gypsy (2017), Packer (2017), Quinlan (2016), Rein (2016), Thompson (2016*), Widdop (2017).

If you wish to replace/let go any player from this list you'll probably only be able to replace with equal value, given the salary cap pressures eg. if you wish to replace McCrone you couldn't replace him with Shaun Johnson (extreme but you get my point).

Also, who are our 25 contracted NRL players? Do we actually have 25 (from the list given), seeing we have already seen PM and Ikahihifo leave. By my reckoning we probably have 23 and 5 in tier 2 payments (Carr, YKG, Hutch, Milne and Quinlan...IMO but I could be wrong on 1 or 2). Although we just upgraded Sele and Herbert, I don't think they come into calculations until the start of next year.

You can upgrade a player from tier 2 to tier 1, or you can recruit a player from another club (probably one whose looking to get out) or upgrade a Cutters player.

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on who you would recruit, and why, and remain within the salary cap parameters. (and guys/girls no fanciful stuff please!)

Bruce Gordon to buy the Broncos and rename them St George.//easiest way to success.

Old Timer

Coach

A hard exercise in light of no one knows who really gets paid what legitimately or under the table.

I have marked my keepers in bold and key acquisitions would be half, hooker, centre, winger and a big power forward with proven credentials.

I have kept Masoe to see if he can deliver what was expected, let go JDB as Sims would be of similar value IMO.

If Widdop didn't deliver big bang for buck next year he would be on the clean out at the end of next year and most likely Nighty as well as time is catching up with him.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
only people with doctorate degrees can play this.

As I said it's not easy, but we have people on this forum who want this player and that player, without understanding the structure of a team.

By the way I don't have Doctorate degree :D

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A hard exercise in light of no one knows who really gets paid what legitimately or under the table.

I have marked my keepers in bold and key acquisitions would be half, hooker, centre, winger and a big power forward with proven credentials.

I have kept Masoe to see if he can deliver what was expected, let go JDB as Sims would be of similar value IMO.

If Widdop didn't deliver big bang for buck next year he would be on the clean out at the end of next year and most likely Nighty as well as time is catching up with him.

AS I said OT it's not easy, that's why I added a rider about like for like.

The "bold" type you have suggested makes only 14 players, plus a half, hooker, centre, winger and forward so that would be 19, basically you need another 6 plus players to fill the roster (you can add Sims, Sele and Herbert for next year, which would give you 22, but I'm sure they would be tier 2 contracts to start with)

So, who is on your shopping list? (from who is available)

Half.......
Hooker........
Centre..........
Winger..........
Forward..........

If it were me, I would keep Benji for 1 more year and see if Wallace of Hutch can step up through the Cutters, or have Mann as a 7 or 8
Hooker, not fussed at all about Segeyaro. If it was a couple of years ago yeah, but he seems to have fallen from grace rapidly. I'd chase the young hooker Smith from the Cowboys U'20, but I'd still keep Rein for a 1yr extension
Centre......?????
Winger, not much offering unless your rate Mansour.......personally I'd look at Dodd from the Cutters.
Forward, well I'd have a serious look at the Storms Asofa-Solomona

Just my opinion!

Gippsy

Bench
I would have grabbed Peats, and Addo-Carr.

In fact, before that, I would have grabbed Granville.

Now, I'd grab Cherrington and Keary.

BennyV

Referee
I would have grabbed Peats, and Addo-Carr.

In fact, before that, I would have grabbed Granville.

Now, I'd grab Cherrington and Keary.

Would you have grabbed Granville? I mean, he was a relatively-unknown QLD Cup hooker, played a handful of games for Broncos over a couple of years in his early-mid twenties, and exploded onto the scene when Cowboys picked him up. In hindsight yeah, he'd be great, but wasn't exactly a household name...

ATM, I agree, I'd go for Cherrington and Keary. Short of Keary, I'd go Hastings.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Out- Rein, Marketo, Marshall, Quinlan, Creagh
Upgrade/retain- Dufty, Carr, Dodds
Recruitment Targets- Nikorima, Keary, Cherrington, Jayden Berrell, Shaun Lane

BrissyRedV

Bench
Dufty must be signed as a priority, he looks like a winner

Indeed. Has a chance to push for the fullback spot over the next few seasons and is still only young with time to develop. Heres hoping the under 20s re-signings will be coming in threes with his next.

Old Timer

Coach
OK back to this difficult task

Young players I would make sure are kept in the fold

Host, Dufty, Carr, Garrick, Sele, Herbert, Dodd

Players I would be keen to get a look at off contract 2016

Forwards: Tamou, Gillett, Cherrington

Backs: Keary, Robert Jennings, Mansour

Player to chase hard for after 2017 Tom Trbojevic (Would be great cover in a few positions in the backs)

Of course all of this is entirely dependant on who you pick up first because if you hit the jackpot early you can't have them all.

Fair to say i would upgrade a lot from the u/20's at the expense of depth signings taking up cap in the Cutters.

Latest posts