What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to bring Wise and Smith into Centres

Boris

Juniors
This was posted on the Eels website.

Stop mucking around with playing people out of position.
Its time to bring Wise and Smith into the centres for the next game after the bye.
Wise played centre for St George in NRL and PL and was very good. And he is better than what we have now. He is a big 100k, defends better than Peterson and Burt and has a very good off load which I saw in a few St George games. Not sure if he has rcovered from his knee injury but if he has he should be bought in. I know he didn't play as well as he could in the games he had but with his crook knee now I know why.
Smith is young and has played well and deserves a go. He is a centre and would work well with Grothe.
I would then have
1. Burt
2. Peterson
3. Kativerata
4. Smith
5. Grothe

cw

I actually agree with cw on this. If fit, Kativerata would be better in the centres than on the wing where he can tend to overread the play. Smith is good, and better than Burt or Peterson
With our lack of centres now that Vaeliki and Lyon are gone, I would bring in Wise and Smith. Its no use keeping on hoping Burt or Peterson will 'turn into a centre'. Give up trying and use players that are good in these positions

boris

The Colonel

Immortal
I agree with Ben Smith but Kativerata should not be allowed to sit on the bench with first grade until

* He is made aware that urgency is needed in fielding kicks

* His handling problems are rectified

* De fence does not run around de house

Smith has been impressive in recent weeks. parra pete will no doubt tell us that he isn't mentally or physically ready because of his age however if your good enough, which from what I have seen of this kid he is, then he is old enough. Enthusiasm is the main thing we are lacking so giving a youngster a go could well rub off on some of his more seasoned team mates....

Kornstar

Coach
Smith has been extremely impressive and he is ready but Wise still looks a little lost in P\L so he needs more time to prove himself.......

Freak

Juniors
Whats wrong with Ash Graham at Centre?
Wade has been one of or best in beaten sides last 2 weeks and will stay at Fullback.

1. Wade
2. Burt
3. Langi
4. Graham
5. Grothe

Parraren

Bench
Wise? Kativerata? In the centres? In first grade? :shock:

To quote John McEnroe, "You can't be f@cking serious!"

The Colonel

Immortal
Ash was seen leaving on crutches (by wittyz-chick I think) Freak so I don't think he'll be getting a run soon....

McKinnon definitely needs to stay at fullback for now for mine...

Phillips

Referee
i would have:

1. Burt
2. Langi
3. Wagon
4. Hopkins - he has the speed to play there
5. Grothe

Parraren

Bench
Wagon often played left centre in 2000 & 2001 when Vaealiki was injured so he seems the logical replacement there. The problem is right centre and right wing. At the moment we have Petersen & Langi and unfortunately I can't see Smith changing this unless there are injuries. Smith has not dropped anyone this year unless they've been injured.

There's no point suggesting Graham either as he's a long way from even being 100% fit for first grade let alone getting back to first grade form.

Most people seem happy with the following;

1. McKinnon
2. Burt
3. ?
4. ?
5. Grothe

My centre pairing would be Widders & Wagon but I guess if we turn up with the same attitude we showed last weekend it doesn't matter who we play in any position, we will get lapped again. Our centres really aren't that critical unless we start getting the ball out to them and that won't happen for as long as we continue with this laughable '2 locks' rubbish.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Parraren said:
Wise? Kativerata? In the centres? In first grade? :shock:

To quote John McEnroe, "You can't be f@cking serious!"

That sums up my feeling as well.

Can some one please fill us country folk on Ben Smith.

Is he a parra local junior, how old is he, size, pace.

If he can hold the ball and tackle, he is in for mine.

fish eel

Immortal
Is he a parra local junior, how old is he, size, pace.

Not sure where is is from, other than he has done real well in Jersey Flegg and more than held his own the last couple of weeks in premier league. Tall, pretty solid and a bit of toe.

Y2Eel

First Grade
1. McKinnon....... his positional play is crap when we are on our own line but does well running ball back at least needs to show more urgency
2. Burt should play wing isnt a centre
3. Morris he has played wing for newcastle and has good speed and hands
4. ben smith time to blood a youngster we suck at the moment so give him a go...
5. Grothe nuff said should be in city team not hasem #-o

Boris

Juniors
I think Kativerata is an ideal centre and a hell of a lot better than Peterson or Burt He has played in that position many times.
Give him a few reminders from Colonel Eel about fielding kicks, and defence, which I think is better than Petersons and Burts anyway, and you have a great centre.
Ok if Smith isn't ready keep Langi if you have to along with Kativerata, move Burt back to fullback as a last bloody resort, Peterson on the wing (and that is stretching it as he is near to useless), Grothe's ok where he his.
Change the half's combination as soon as you can and get the ball spreading wide to the centres and wing so they get the ball instead of its staying in the forwards or not getting past 5/8.
I think Wise could be the right answer in the centres. He has to do a hell of a lot better than the rest we have tried. Heaven help us against the Dragons if we don't

Pazza

First Grade
1.Burt (Played well at fullback, sure McKinnon has been solid at Fullback but Burt is the much better attacking player)
2.McKinnon (Better than petersen)
3.Wagon (Does the same job as Langi and wont be wasting space in the Halves or forwards)
4.Smith (i am not going to stand to see Burt in the centres anymore. I am sure that Parra would have been fine with Kelly and Kidwell in the centres but thank god young guns like Vaealiki and Lyon got a run)
5.Grothe

Hurriflatch

Referee
bit more news on Ben Smith

He is the Brother of Knights winger Josh Smith

His other older brother is part of the GRoup 4 comp and would play directly opposite one Jamie Lyon if Lyon was allowed to play for Wee Waa and in a story in the RLW a couple of issues back he said (in jest to an extent) that he is happy that Lyon left as it could give Ben a chance.

He has the skill to play 1st grade this year and like Feleti Mateo simply was too good for Flegg.

Pazza

First Grade
Parramatta are lacking some real sting out in the centres. Langi just seems to be a good dummy half runner and Burt doesnt have the size and strength compaired to other centres in the competition to handle the one on one stuff centres deal with.

Latest posts