What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to end neutral Origin games?

westerntiger

Juniors
After Wednesday night’s match in Adelaide I think it’s time up. Should we go back to the alternating two games Sydney two games Brisbane model or have games in Townsville etc like in 2021?

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
It's just a cash grab for the NRL at the moment and it's diminishing the product IMO. These oval stadiums are absolute shitholes for Rugby League and it seems that the games at neutral grounds have lost their charm. I think a neutral game should be once every 3 or 4 years.

We wouldn't see the Superbowl taken to a gimp of an oval field.

I doubt that we would be so keen to sell it off if the TV negotiations didn't flop.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
If I had to guess, I'd say around 50% to 60% of all TV viewers in South Australia were watching rugby league on Wednesday.

If you stop taking Origin games to Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne then you also end a major method for growing the game's appeal beyond NSW & QLD.

Wizardman

First Grade
I'd end the annual neutral game in a series.

I'd give a neutral game once every three years over a three year cycle.

Year 1: 2 qld, 1 nsw
Year 2: 2 nsw, 1 qld
Year 3: 1 neutral, 1 qld, 1 nsw

Reverse the cycle after the third year.

Pneuma

First Grade
I think everybody has forgotten how hard it is to sell game 3 when it’s a dead rubber and it’s NSW with 2 games. One game in NSW and qld guarantees sellouts. The crowd at Adelaide was massive. Total attendance this year will be 180000. I will add however that as a Tassie lad I only go to games in Sydney or Brisbane. Preferably Sydney. Final note. The Nrl makes far too much money out of the current system to consider a change.

Steel Saints

Juniors
I think it's a fair system at the moment. No state has an advantage. Personally I'm not a fan of the origin period. It relegates the NRL comp for the best part of two months, where some games are played without the origin players. Pretty amateurish.

So to compensate it, use origin has a marketing tool to promote the code by taking a neutral game to a non heartland state like South Australia.