What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to get rid of the 8???

Tommy Smith

Referee
Brisbane is a city of 1 million people but cant fill the stadium.

nice way of working things out btw...250 people per km compared to 2. LOL. In case you havent noticed Australia has a fair bit of uninhabited land. And btw in England there are plenty of football clubs. Not just 15....more like 90 just in the first 4 divisions.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
bender said:
To whoever likes the AFL system. If it is so great, why did the NRL/ARL dump it due to it being unfair to the top teams. Incidentally, if you must have a top 8 system the only fair system, is in fact what is known on the internet as the Glennc system.

It's a lot fairer than the current top 8 system. In the current system if teams 1 & 2 win there games then the other 2 games, 4 v 5 and 3 v 6 are played out for no reason as they will just face off again the next week.

ausraider

Juniors
aussies1st said:
That sounds better than this hope and wait thing we currently have. And of course the Everest you talk about which the raiders faced last year

lol man thats brilliant.

Mr Saab

Referee
brokendigit said:

warren ryan has a system, but the NRL dont want to use it.
or
they can go back to the system they used in 1995/6....but thats not so great either as teams 2/3 cant meet each other in the GF.

*Paul*

Juniors
brokendigit said:
I think I understand what you're getting at, but when will 'similar' ever be the same as 'the same'?
So if the draw was 2 each home & away (as it was for 80 years 1908-1987, and 2000-2001), you'd agree the finals series, whilst exciting, is just a tack on to re-decide the premiership?
I think you'll find that this is due to the sustainable numbers of teams in the competition - see EPL & NFL as examples.
Huh? EPL is one division, doesn't have finals. NFL, multi divisions - the playoff system is a solution to getting result from many divisions.

And the alternative (a Premiership which is decided in retrospect, by a lot of 'non-crucial' moments) is better? Hmmm... I'm not so sure.
Of course it is, Lance Armstrong wins the Tour, not because he sprints at the end, but because he's better for two weeks.

Would there? Really? I quite enjoyed the 'uproar' of Greece winning Euro,
Knockout/divsion comp. If Greece had had to go through a playoff after topping their group, and lost to say Armenia, then you'd have a similar situation. But they didn't - first is first.

& I would've been quite pleased for Nth QLD last year if they had've created 'an uproar'.
Sure it's great, but were Nth Qld a better team than Canterbury, Easts etc.? They lost more games than Easts & Dogs put together, losing isn't usually the best indicator of quality.

Try telling the supporters of the teams who make the eight, that they are being 'artificially induced' to remove their fingernails from their seats after their beloved team gets up/goes down in a do-or-die battle, against a team they 'didn't have any right' to be playing against...
Of course it's artificial - unless you're desperately clinging to the uneven draw idea - the best has already finshed atop the pile.

brokendigit

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
warren ryan has a system, but the NRL dont want to use it.
or
they can go back to the system they used in 1995/6....but thats not so great either as teams 2/3 cant meet each other in the GF.

I've heard Ryan talking about the system you've mentioned.

I also recall him admitting that there were certain 'issues' even with his system. I think that you'll find that there will never be a perfect system to decide the eventual winner of the Premiership.

I reckon that the NRL would gladly part with more than a million bucks for the rights to a perfect Semi-Final system.

Dog-E

Juniors
Azkatro said:
I think the NRL should call a spade a spade. Eventually more Sydney teams will have to go -

Apart from Souths to the C.Coast...Name them.

I will support a 'North Sydnry' 'West Sydney' etc. carve up - just about OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!!

Rugby League will be DEAD to me in that case.

And that's where your propoasal there falls flat on it's face....brecause i can assure you - I would NOT be the Lone Ranger there!!!!

shaggy

Juniors
doesn't matter wheather its top 8 or 5 if ur the best team all year u'll be in the gf from 2000 onwards the minor premiers have featured in the grand final, 99 the sharks fell short after loosing 2 the dragons who finshed 6th (the only team 2 make the gf from outside the top 5), a knockout compeition is a terrible idea 2 replace the final series, the reason the gf was introudeced was because prior 2 1954 the nswrl had the minor premiership season & if ur club finished 2nd (i think it was) they could challenge the mp 4 the title, so the nswrl saw the added interest in this exta game & obviously decided 2 extend it 2 not only 1st team but 4 teams 2-5.

Now if u have a knockout competition instead of a finals series what does that achieve? You could have Souths V Newcastle due 2 the fact they were betta on the day now i no if my team were minor premiers & prove they were the real deal then i would be prety annoyed. The finals system makes sure that if you finish first you have the best chance of making the g/f & so it should be but if your not the best on the day then no you don't need 2 be remembered as the best team of the year because most of the time u'll be their anyway, until their r more examples of this happening the nrl will leave the finals system as it is

4 those who still think a knockout comp is beta than a finals question who do the english super rugby league supporters thik are the champion team of the year, the team that wins the challenge cup or the g/f?

also about the nrl reducing the number of clubs in syd? if this happens fans will go i don't support league anymore because my team is gone i'll go support another code, & the other 3 football codes go look @ this huge area league has lost we'll take that, they get richer league gets porer, the other 3 fotball codes take over sydney & rugby league is dead

Bengal

Juniors
Whatever's best for the game

If the Top 5 system attracts more interest to the game then run with that

If the current Top 8 system draws more interest then stick with that

Whatever system benefits Rugby League more...is the system we need to run with

I'm all for the 8, as against the 5.

Even if some sides limp into the eight, they are soon sorted out in the first week. But then you get the sides who sneak in on a roll and then stir it up, a-la the cowboys last year. Dont tell me that wasn't great to watch.

Secondly, it allows you to see the top teams in action more often - 9 games in the finals vs 6 (in the old top 5 system).

In the old top 5, minor premiers would have the first week off, and if they won in the second, would have the third week off as well.

The obvious one is that more teams are still in contention, and so most club games have vital importance and interest in the latter rounds. And so crowds & atmosphere is better.

The only thing I am against is the McIntyre system for the 8. Much better if in the first round 1 v 4, 2 v 3, 5 v 8 (eliminator), 6 v 7 (eliminator) and so on.

Azkatro

First Grade
Dog-E said:
Apart from Souths to the C.Coast...Name them.

I will support a 'North Sydnry' 'West Sydney' etc. carve up - just about OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!!

Rugby League will be DEAD to me in that case.

And that's where your propoasal there falls flat on it's face....brecause i can assure you - I would NOT be the Lone Ranger there!!!!
You're living proof of the point I'm trying to make. The competition will never be truly national if it doesn't break away from what it's always been - the NSWRL.

Bengal

Juniors
A competition doesn't need to be national to be a goodin!

I has it a guess that the new soccer A League is national?

If so...doesn't make it any more exciting aye!

It's all about the product...and this product (Rugby League) is effin brilliant, if it weren't, goin national wouldn't save it as far as I'm concerned, just like at the round ball boys to see what I mean.

As for the NSWRL...I think there's a lil company called News Ltd who'll beg to differ about the NRL being only a NSWRL competition I reckon

Scrap the 8

The top teams shouldnt have to risk injuries in the early weeks of the finals against sides that dont deserve to be there

Grantwhy

Juniors
Bengal said:
A competition doesn't need to be national to be a goodin!

No, but it does increase the value of a Club to their Sponsors which usually means more sponsorship dollars.

More money doesn't automatically make a competiton better, but less money definately won't :).

Glen

Bench
Azkatro said:
You're living proof of the point I'm trying to make. The competition will never be truly national if it doesn't break away from what it's always been - the NSWRL.
And if you get rid of most of the traditional clubs you will alienate the current fan base and kill the game

teams 7- 10 at the moment have negative points differential at this stage of the year. and two of them will be in the finals series what a joke.

mickdo

Coach
I think the minor premiership just needs to be given a bit more prestige. For starters stop calling it the 'minor' premiership and just call its winner the 'premiers', with the grand final winner being the 'champions'. A bit more prize money for being 1st in the regular season would be good too.

Bengal

Juniors
Grantwhy said:
No, but it does increase the value of a Club to their Sponsors which usually means more sponsorship dollars.
If the dollar returns for making the NRL a national competition added up, we’d be well and truly down that road by now. Obviously the figures don’t stack up yet (unless News or the NRL wishes to prop up yet another team such as Perth for instance). Like everything else…TV rules…and the sponsorship dollar still gets (near) maximum exposure regardless of whether a location i.e. Perth has a team there or not.

Only the 10-20k that would turn up every 2nd week in are being missed, but the cost of chasing those fans just doesn’t cut it yet.

Grantwhy said:
More money doesn't automatically make a competiton better, but less money definately won't .

Pretty obvious this statement, but going National doesn’t guarantee a profitable competition if the price of going nationwide outweighs the benefits (in dollar terms).

Latest posts