What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to restructure the JV

smi962

First Grade
StGeorge Since 1970 to 1998
Runners Up 1971, 75, 85, 92, 93, 96
Premiers 1977, 79
Illawarra Since 1982-1998
Runners Up 0
Premiers 0

Not that i think we will split, i can live with 6 games each and having both St George and Illawarra juniors teams.
Just cause Steelers were total shit doesn't make St George any type of benchmark over their last 30 yrs ( two premierships) but agree it would require some games being played in the illawarra at minimum. And the decline off the field/boardroom was far more significant than what was happening on it (again ther steelers were just as bad or worse in that respect).

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Just cause Steelers were total shit doesn't make St George any type of benchmark over their last 30 yrs ( two premierships) but agree it would require some games being played in the illawarra at minimum. And the decline off the field/boardroom was far more significant than what was happening on it (again ther steelers were just as bad or worse in that respect).
I do chuckle when legacy St George fans try and hang shit on the Steelers when from 1982 to 1998 they won exactly the same number of premierships..

Only difference between Illawarra and Cronulla is that Cronulla have at least 1 trophy in their cupboard. St George have 15, and runner up 4 times between 1982-1998. And where did Illawarra come during all of this?Zero,blot. So to compare to us is pretty lame, and to me , pretty disrespectful.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Only difference between Illawarra and Cronulla is that Cronulla have at least 1 trophy in their cupboard. St George have 15, and runner up 4 times between 1982-1998. And where did Illawarra come during all of this?Zero,blot. So to compare to us is pretty lame, and to me , pretty disrespectful.
That’s great and all..

But still skirts around the question..

What success did St George achieve between 1982 - 1998?

I’ve searched all the history books, and I can’t see any records of any achievements..

Can you help?

Just the period of 1982 - 1998 when the Steelers were around..

Not 2016 when Cronulla won & both St George and Illawarra hadn’t been around for like 18 years.. that’s old enough for a kid born in 1998 to drink & vote & all that fun stuff,.

And not before 1982 when it’s physically impossible for the Steelers to have done anything..

1982 - 1998.

What success did St George have in that specific period?

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
That’s great and all..

I’ve searched all the history books, and I can’t see any records of any achievements..

Can you help?

Not 2016 when Cronulla won & both St George and Illawarra hadn’t been around for like 18 years.. that’s old enough for a kid born in 1998 to drink & vote & all that fun stuff,.

And not before 1982 when it’s physically impossible for the Steelers to have done anything..

1982 - 1998.

This stuff is pretty pointless. Your arguments won't convince the St George fans, and the Illawarra fans don't accept the St George view. We are all St George Illawarra fans now. How we got here is our own business, as is what we believe. Look forward and move on please.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This stuff is pretty pointless. Your arguments won't convince the St George fans, and the Illawarra fans don't accept the St George view. We are all St George Illawarra fans now. How we got here is our own business, as is what we believe. Look forward and move on please.
Why is it that any time St George fans are reminded of the truth it’s all about Illawarra fans having to move on?

Illawarra fans are switched on & understand that our history is a shared one.

It’s not the Illawarra fans who keep harping on about kicking out the Steelers to somehow make things good again..

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Why is it that any time St George fans are reminded of the truth it’s all about Illawarra fans having to move on?

Illawarra fans are switched on & understand that our history is a shared one.

It’s not the Illawarra fans who keep harping on about kicking out the Steelers to somehow make things good again..
Of course I disagree with you, but, like I said, you won't convince me and I won't convince you, so why are we bothering with a pointless "discussion".
If it will ease your angst here it is "St George didn’t win anything between 1982 and 1998".
There, feel better?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Of course I disagree with you, but, like I said, you won't convince me and I won't convince you, so why are we bothering with a pointless "discussion".
If it will ease your angst here it is "St George didn’t win anything between 1982 and 1998".
There, feel better?
This makes me feel good. Thank you. :)

Glad that at least one legacy St George fan can see that they are just as successful as the Steelers were during their existence.

This means that if one person shows that it’s easy to recognise this, eventually the stubborn dinosaurs who can’t will move forward & in turn we’ll be united & folk will stop blaming everything on Illawarra, which results in better accountability throughout the club & less finger pointing at a hypothetical bogeyman.

smi962

First Grade
I'm an original st george supporter but unless there were games in illawarra, what does st george offer? Why would they just become a feeder club (as possm suggested) like its some kind of privilege? We have the name and proud history that fans hold onto, but going forward, the stadium, leagues club, corporate support, management, board, catchment area (small area surrounded by so many other sydney clubs) to develop young talent and generate new fans makes it very difficult to remain a powerhouse relative to other clubs.
Everyone is critical of the decline of the dragons off the field now, the joint venture hasn't helped, but imo st george were showing they were on the slide for the above reasons over the long term.

Last edited:

Parko1310

Juniors
The reality is the Steelers needed St George, and St George needed the Steelers. Can everyone stop pretending this isn't St George Illawarra? We all support the same club, one club, not two or half of a club or something else. If you want to support just St George, fantastic, go watch the SG Ball for 9 weeks a year. Same goes for the Steelers. This is one club, move forward and get a reality check that this is the case. It's clear where this club as a united entity should play out of in the future (whether a certain side of the joint venture will accept it or not). It's also clear that one side does in fact have a better history than the other (which another certain side also fail to accept). Embrace it, don't fight it. We should be proud, and the fact that we are not is an issue with this club.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
Accept the Joint Venture or not.St.George Dragons are history.Illawarra is the future.Thank your lucky stars the Dragon name is part of our DNA.Followed Saints since 1954.Still live in the District.It has changed so much.So stop the crap and. get on with enjoying the game.

That’s great and all..

Can you help?

1982 - 1998.

I hate seeing facts go unchecked- Just to make you read once and for all-we were in Grand Finals in 1985,1992,1993,1996. Thats what success we had. During that period Illawarra were in NONE. Just because we didnt win does not equate to no success. Try reading before engaging mouth

ruthless dragon

Juniors
This makes me feel good. Thank you. :)

Glad that at least one legacy St George fan can see that they are just as successful as the Steelers were during their existence.

This means that if one person shows that it’s easy to recognise this, eventually the stubborn dinosaurs who can’t will move forward & in turn we’ll be united & folk will stop blaming everything on Illawarra, which results in better accountability throughout the club & less finger pointing at a hypothetical bogeyman.
I hate seeing facts go unchecked- Just to make you read once and for all-we were in Grand Finals in 1985,1992,1993,1996. Thats what success we had. During that period Illawarra were in NONE. Just because we didnt win does not equate to no success. Try reading before engaging mouth
Spot on and a reminder
Undoubtedly the most famous of all grand finalists, the St. George Dragons seared themselves into the imaginations of rugby league fans by winning a stunning 11 premierships in a row from 1956 to 1966.

In that time, the players wearing the iconic red V turned up the heat on their opposition like no other Australian sporting team.

Fans here continue to idolise the amazing sporting achievement of the Dragons. And rightly so. Since that time, no Australian top-tiered club has gone close to even contesting that many finals in a row, let alone winning them.
It is also why half the crowd on the gold coast wore the Dragons jersey same anywhere.
You do live up to your nom de guerre at times..be thankful you support one of the great sporting teams of all time.
Now lets back there and win some premierships.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You view losing something as “success”? That is a strange take on things.

Pulling on my high school debating trousers:

“The Oxford dictionary defines success as the accomplishment of an aim or purpose”

The key word being accomplishment.

For example. 1999 wasn’t a successful year for the JV.

But 2010 was.

What was the difference?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Spot on and a reminder
Undoubtedly the most famous of all grand finalists, the St. George Dragons seared themselves into the imaginations of rugby league fans by winning a stunning 11 premierships in a row from 1956 to 1966.

In that time, the players wearing the iconic red V turned up the heat on their opposition like no other Australian sporting team.

Fans here continue to idolise the amazing sporting achievement of the Dragons. And rightly so. Since that time, no Australian top-tiered club has gone close to even contesting that many finals in a row, let alone winning them.
It is also why half the crowd on the gold coast wore the Dragons jersey same anywhere.
You do live up to your nom de guerre at times..be thankful you support one of the great sporting teams of all time.
Now lets back there and win some premierships.
Nobody is denying the success of the dragons back when the world was black & white. It’s an important part of the club culture.

Possibly due to the rich nursery of talent from the south coast who made their way up the Bulli pass to help deliver this. But that’s beside the point.

I’m comparing the record books from the period in time where there were two separate clubs..

The unfortunate result is neither side won a title whilst they went it alone.

1982-1998 is the only real time that a true comparison of results can be done, as without a Time Machine it’s physically impossible for the Steelers to have done anything before then..