What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to scrap City VS Country?

manlyone

Juniors
Given the concerns with player burnout resulting from playing too many matches in a season, surely it is a no brainer that City Vs Country should go.

The only reason I can see for its continued existence is that Sterlo is so keen on it. However, it is no longer a trial game for NSW and if you want to take footy to the bush then use trial games or nominate a couple of fair dinkum NRL matches to be played in the bush.

Maybe.
But I think it is still a NSW trial to some extent. It's another game for fringe players to show what they can do.
Plus if they got rid of it they would not play proper NRL games in country areas so it would mean country areas will miss out on our biggest game of the year. Plus City/Country is actually awarded to places that deserve it/need it, whereas trials are played where the selfish NRL clubs want to play them, either for financial reasons or because they want a trip to the beach.

Oh and the Country jersey does mean something to a lot of people, including some NRL players who are from the bush (the real bush, not Newcastle or the Central Coast). If I was a superstar NRL player I would rather play for Country than NSW. Seriously.

nqboy

First Grade
Agree. After I posted, I thought of the fringe trial status and what it meant to country players.

Keep it.

Quidgybo

Bench
Since they moved to make it essentially a complimentary match to the Anzac Test (ie. players don't play in both) I've become a lot less opposed to it. For me (personally) it's always been a bit of a who cares match that steals a Friday night club match - ie. I used to watch (when I lived in Oz) nearly every Friday night game in a season but often skipped City/Country. Now with Friday night double headers and the Anzac weekend byes, I'd like to see it become the second match on the same night as the Anzac Test - but that'd obviously have crowd implications for the match going against a live Test match telecast. The other alternative is to play it as a Friday night double header with a Cowboys/Broncos derby (ie. essentially the QLD version of City/Country). Either way, give us something else to watch as well because the game really does have limited appeal outside NSW country.

Leigh

miccle

Bench
Keep it but improve it FFS. It's a farce at the moment - pick all eligible, even the incumbents for NSW. It'll be great for rugby league in Australia, great for TV ratings and great for whichever town hosts it each different year.

The Preacher

First Grade
manlyone said:
Given the concerns with player burnout resulting from playing too many matches in a season, surely it is a no brainer that City Vs Country should go.

The only reason I can see for its continued existence is that Sterlo is so keen on it. However, it is no longer a trial game for NSW and if you want to take footy to the bush then use trial games or nominate a couple of fair dinkum NRL matches to be played in the bush.

f**k OFF you MORON !!!!:x

innsaneink

Referee
East Coast Tiger said:
Oh and the Country jersey does mean something to a lot of people, including some NRL players who are from the bush (the real bush, not Newcastle or the Central Coast). If I was a superstar NRL player I would rather play for Country than NSW. Seriously.

The same can be said of the City jersey by players that have repped for City.

Why reduce the levels of the rep scene, why not scale back international rep matches, some players will never rep, some will make it as far as city country only, and while it may look like its not a big deal to them, it is, representing is the basis the games founded on....

innsaneink said:
Why reduce the levels of the rep scene, why not scale back international rep matches, some players will never rep, some will make it as far as city country only, and while it may look like its not a big deal to them, it is, representing is the basis the games founded on....
If it came down to losing City/Country or scaling back international footy I know which I'd choose.
Though I don't see why we should do either. If players need less games it should be at NRL level, not rep level. There's too few rep games as is.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
No keep it, it gives some of the younger/less experienced guys a chance at rep level, a chance to prove theyre up to the task of playing Origin. I agree that all should be available to improve the game in the bush, that would mean move the test match to after the Origin.

miccle

Bench
shaggy said:
keep it, its a great thing 4 country ppl taking the game 2 them

Definitely, but that's why imo it should really be brought back to the days of being a proper origin trial - to get the cream of the crop to a country town somewhere.

And let's face it, the guard is shifting and changing in NSW. Just a few years ago, you could pencil in Mini, Joey, Buderus, Fitzgibbon etc. into their spots and not really have any need for it.

What about these days, especially if Mini struggles in his return from injury.

Fullback: Mini vs Hornby
Wings: Grothe vs King vs Hayne vs El Masri
Centres: Gasnier vs Tahu vs Cooper vs King (again)
Five-eighth: Gasnier vs Holdsworth vs Campbell vs Anasta..
Halfback: Gower vs Hornby vs Head vs Orford

.... the list goes on.

miccle

Bench
And you can add to that mix too:

Hooker: Priddis vs Buderus vs Farah vs Wing

Prop: Kite vs O'Meley vs Mason vs Tupou vs Bailey vs Ryles

... tell me why it's such a bad idea. IMO it'd be FANTASTIC, I'm always up for NSWmen beating the crap out of each other.

Briza

Juniors
The City V Country game should be a selection process for the NSW SOO team.
Played before the SOO it gives a good indication of THE FORM players in the current competition.
Screw last season, I don't care what your name is - if your not at the top of your game come SOO time you don't deserve to be picked.

Of course this being Logic, it will never be the case so it may as well be scraped...

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Briza said:
The City V Country game should be a selection process for the NSW SOO team.
Played before the SOO it gives a good indication of THE FORM players in the current competition.
Screw last season, I don't care what your name is - if your not at the top of your game come SOO time you don't deserve to be picked.

Of course this being Logic, it will never be the case so it may as well be scraped...

I don't mind players that perform well in the game getting an advantage for SOO selection but the idea that its only purpose is a selection trial is wrong.

Latest posts