What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to scrap City VS Country?

Neatoboy

Juniors
I think City-Country has lost a lot of it's relevance since the NSWRL competition has evolved into the NRL. I personally don't have any interest in the game and I think it should be scrapped ***ducks***

Snoz

Juniors
i was a fan but after last year when manly had to play brisbane the day after and got smashed i thought the concept was overkill. players play enough - maybe make it u21's v the best from the bush sides.

Philby

Juniors
I think it should definetly stay and even if they keep the test stars out the NRL has enough talent to make it an enjoyable event.It is a great stepping stone for younger players to use to get to the next rep level. They should also have the Country side (picked from bush sides ie Wagga, Newcastle ect) versus a Jim Bean Cup Rep side as the curtain raiser. It would be like the old days when they had the main game then Country firsts Vs City firsts and it would also give more exposure to Bush footy

Misty Bee

First Grade
Quidgybo said:
Since they moved to make it essentially a complimentary match to the Anzac Test (ie. players don't play in both) I've become a lot less opposed to it. For me (personally) it's always been a bit of a who cares match that steals a Friday night club match - ie. I used to watch (when I lived in Oz) nearly every Friday night game in a season but often skipped City/Country. Now with Friday night double headers and the Anzac weekend byes, I'd like to see it become the second match on the same night as the Anzac Test - but that'd obviously have crowd implications for the match going against a live Test match telecast. The other alternative is to play it as a Friday night double header with a Cowboys/Broncos derby (ie. essentially the QLD version of City/Country). Either way, give us something else to watch as well because the game really does have limited appeal outside NSW country.

Leigh

Wonderful idea, unless you are here on planet Earth, where both scenarios are utterly rediculous. PLaying City v Country on the same night as a test, so all the potential crowd stays home to watch telly. Brilliant.

As for the Broncos v Cowpats curtain raiser, if Brisbane are happy to play that gate at Scully Park in Tamworth or Eric Weisell Oval in Wagga, you might have a point. Then again, they would be playing the curtain raiser, wouldn't they?

I fail to see how the hell you could play a NSW City v Country game in Qld - given their crap treatment of anything from NSW I think you'd get 34 players troting on Suncorp and giving the crowd a mass browneye instead.

As for Broncs v Cowpats being a QLD City/Country, obviously Lockyer would be playing for the Cowpats on the night?

City v Country stays in the great regional centres of Rugby League's heartland, the NSW bush.

Quidgybo

Bench
After 30 odd posts in this thread, I feel honoured that you've chosen to quote (and re-publicise) only little ol' mine. At least someone is reading what I'm writing and I suppose that's really all I'm after. Thanks Misty!

:lol:

Legh.

greeneyed

First Grade
Should be dropped, unless it is turned into an event that involves no NRL players. It should definitely not be televised. The clubs complain about too many rep games but then they attack Test matches instead of this non event.

Quidgybo

Bench
I don’t mind being criticised Misty. Constructive criticism is very helpful to developing ideas and making them workable in the real world. But I have little time for destructive criticism or the professional knocker or whinger who offers nothing but ridicule and personal attacks. Every idea is weird until the first time it is used, but that doesn’t make it any less applicable to the situation. Another term for weird ideas is “vision” - a word sadly misappropriated by the professional knockers in RL circles since the start of the SL war.

Leigh

Choppies

Coach
I think there is a place for City v Country.
But where to play it in the years that's the question as Im not a fan of it being played where it currently is in the year.
Maybe just after origin perhaps?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Quidgybo said:
I don’t mind being criticised Misty. Constructive criticism is very helpful to developing ideas and making them workable in the real world. But I have little time for destructive criticism or the professional knocker or whinger who offers nothing but ridicule and personal attacks. Every idea is weird until the first time it is used, but that doesn’t make it any less applicable to the situation. Another term for weird ideas is “vision” - a word sadly misappropriated by the professional knockers in RL circles since the start of the SL war.

Leigh

Offering to play City v Country at Suncorp deserves ridicule, because it's just plain f**king stupid!!!!!

But at least I offered arguments why, and not just whinged because you weren't up to it.

Maybe we should play the GF on the same night as Origin. :roll:

Nikki

Coach
Its gotta stay. Just ask any player who has worn their respective jumper. Just ask any player who is yet to wear the Jumper due to the fact they are automatic Origin selections (Nathan Hindmarsh would kill to wear a Country Jumper).

I think next years game will be played on a Thurs night up in Coffs Harbour. Will be very odd watching Thursday night Football I must say.

Latest posts