What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timeslot change

Brycey

Juniors
The 5.30 Saturday game, or the 'graveyard shift' is one of the worst timeslots for a game ever. Usually reserved for the dud game of the week, it has a habit of attracting bad tv ratings and crowds.

I know foxsports like their Super Saturday theme, but why can't it be changed to a Super Sunday. With the success of Monday Night Football, I don't see why we cannot have a Sunday night game. Play the 2 Sunday games and then have the Sunday Night one at 7.30pm/8.00pm.

Sunday night games way to go imo over Saturday arvo. It doesnt have the same atmosphere, and just seems like a bad time for everyone.

t-ba

Post Whore
They killed the 3:30 Saturday slot for the same reasons actually.

Saturday Afternoon football would work if anyone worked to promote it.

Brycey

Juniors
I honestly think Saturday afternoon is just a bad time for everyone to want to go to a game.

People who want to make a night out of footy, 730 is good cause after the game you can start hitting up the pubs. Whereas 530 the game finishes too early to go out on the beat after it. Also parents/kids of games probably just coming home from their big day, have no time to really get ready or get to the match.
Its really just all in all, a bad time for people to get to anywhere.

t-ba

Post Whore
Brycey said:
I honestly think Saturday afternoon is just a bad time for everyone to want to go to a game.

People who want to make a night out of footy, 730 is good cause after the game you can start hitting up the pubs. Whereas 530 the game finishes too early to go out on the beat after it. Also parents/kids of games probably just coming home from their big day, have no time to really get ready or get to the match.

It's a tough one.

I'd love to see an actual Saturday day time match. It's a bastard of a time at 5:30.

Nightward

Juniors
Eh, I'd be happy if they managed to get the games started when they're supposed to be. This business of Channel 9/Foxtel pushing the kickoff back is ridiculous; supposedly they need time for their talking heads to babble, but since they're screening on a delay, why do the attending fans have to suffer? It's not like the home viewers are going to miss out, either.

A 5:30 game is not a bad idea, though if you want to encourage a better draw something earlier still (3pm?) might be better for families.

Paullyboy

Coach
Why does everyone love day games? I much prefer night games and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Tom Ace

Bench
Brycey said:

It's never too early to drink. :)

Knight87

Juniors
The solution is move the Sat Night games back one hour. So, the early game starts at 6:30pm, and the other two start at 8:30pm (which is the way Sat Night finals are in Week 1 of the finals, the 6:30+8:30pm timeslots). Have the best Sat Night game at 6:30pm. 6:30pm is also a good timeslot, cause that way, there can be no argument that ppl won't have enough time to get back from work and also if FTA network picked up a Sat Night game in the future, the 6:30pm game (after the news) would be ideal.

t-ba said:
It's a tough one.

I'd love to see an actual Saturday day time match. It's a bastard of a time at 5:30.

As much as you love it, the NRL will never go back to Saturday afternoon football, because of two reasons:

1) A killer, in terms of crowd attendances and more importantly

2) A killer, in terms of television ratings.

These are directly attributed to the fact that in Australia, majority of school kids play sports on Saturday and a lot of people work on Saturday.

The 5:30pm game was introduced in 2001 by Fox (in the then-new tv rights deal). They experimented again with the 3pm game in 2002, but after that schmozzle went down the drain, Fox decided to scrap it. A Sat 3pm game was lucky to get 10,000 ppl, especially if it was held in Sydney.

adamkungl said:
I dont mind the 530 game...

Likewise.

8:30pm is too late to kick off a game as far as I'm concerned.

Introducing a Sunday night game is also too much. You either have Monday Night Football or Sunday Night Football. Having both is simply too much. Sunday night has many of the problems of Monday Night Football (family unfriendliness for instance) and would mean that no less than four games were on Friday and Monday nights not long after regular work hours end or on Sunday and Monday nights a few hours before people on regular hours have to start wroking (Monday falls in both categories). It might be worth noting here that the AFL has pull its Sunday twilight games back half an hour, from 5:00pm bounce to 4:30pm (and a significant proportion of them are WA games meaning local kickoff times at 2:30pm).

I think the current arrangement is pretty close to right. In a perfect world where broadcast money wasn't so important I would love to have another Sunday afternoon game at the expense of one of the Friday or Saturday 7:30pm games, but that seems unlikely.

simostorm

Bench
I love the 5:30 timeslot...and three games on super staurday is great for those nights when you wanna stay in and just watch footy..

Joe Davola

Juniors
I am not a fan of the two Friday night games. With all the added Channel 9 fluff, the second game just starts (and ends) too late after a long week at work. I would prefer to see Channel 9 have a live Saturday night game. It may break up Fox's Super Saturday, but more games on FTA, at accessible times, is more important for the long term success of the game.

Game 1: Friday 7.30pm (Live Channel 9)
Game 2: Saturday 6.00pm (Live Fox Sports [and Live ABC would be ideal!!])
Game 3: Saturday 7.30pm (Live Channel 9)
Game 4: Saturday 7.30pm (Delayed 9.30pm Fox Sports)
Game 5: Sunday 2.00pm (Live Fox Sports - Fox Active with Game 7)
Game 6: Sunday 2.00pm (Delayed 4pm Channel 9)
Game 7: Sunday 2.00pm (Delayed 6pm Fox Sports - Fox Active with Game 5)
Game 8: Monday 7.00pm (Live Fox Sports)

Yes, all Sunday games to kick off at the common time of 2pm. As much as I prefer the traditional 3pm kick off, Channel 9 want the Live Fox game finished before their 4pm replay starts, necessitating a 2pm kick off. I just think it makes more sense to have all Sunday games kick off at the same time, rather than some at 2pm and some at 3pm.

Would love to see the 6pm Saturday game Live on the ABC as well, giving another FTA game, especially in the bush. ABC could take the Fox feed, so no production costs to the ABC - only have to change their Saturday night news (could run a mini news bulletin at half time).

The 6pm Sat (Live Fox) & 7.30pm Sat (Live Ch9) is cutting it fine, but I think 6pm will work better than 5.30pm. Besides, by the time 9 have done their pre-game fluff, kick off will be more like 7.45pm and the 6pm game should be done (barring Golden Point).

After the Friday night game, Channel 9 could run a 1 hour post game show to take in the post match press conference, some post game interviews, and to do a serious (not Footy Show-esque) preview of the rest of the round, which would take the Friday night coverage through to 10.30pm.

Having 3 Sunday afternoon games is a big plus as far as I am concerned.

Joe Davola said:
Game 1: Friday 7.30pm (Live Channel 9)
Game 2: Saturday 6.00pm (Live Fox Sports [and Live ABC would be ideal!!])
Game 3: Saturday 7.30pm (Live Channel 9)
Game 4: Saturday 7.30pm (Delayed 9.30pm Fox Sports)
Game 5: Sunday 2.00pm (Live Fox Sports - Fox Active with Game 7)
Game 6: Sunday 2.00pm (Delayed 4pm Channel 9)
Game 7: Sunday 2.00pm (Delayed 6pm Fox Sports - Fox Active with Game 5)
Game 8: Monday 7.00pm (Live Fox Sports)

agree 100% ... but the saturday 6pm game has to kick off at 5 30 with breaks and half time etc ...

5.30 games are also a killer for those who stay out drinking until 6am at the pub on a friday night :lol: was a mighty struggle to get their on saturday. i like 5 30 games during daylight savings as i much prefer to watch games during the day but i'm not overly fussed because it doesn't really make a difference in the viewing in the end

t-ba

Post Whore
Knight87 said:
The solution is move the Sat Night games back one hour. So, the early game starts at 6:30pm, and the other two start at 8:30pm (which is the way Sat Night finals are in Week 1 of the finals, the 6:30+8:30pm timeslots). Have the best Sat Night game at 6:30pm. 6:30pm is also a good timeslot, cause that way, there can be no argument that ppl won't have enough time to get back from work and also if FTA network picked up a Sat Night game in the future, the 6:30pm game (after the news) would be ideal.

As much as you love it, the NRL will never go back to Saturday afternoon football, because of two reasons:

1) A killer, in terms of crowd attendances and more importantly

2) A killer, in terms of television ratings.

These are directly attributed to the fact that in Australia, majority of school kids play sports on Saturday and a lot of people work on Saturday.

The 5:30pm game was introduced in 2001 by Fox (in the then-new tv rights deal). They experimented again with the 3pm game in 2002, but after that schmozzle went down the drain, Fox decided to scrap it. A Sat 3pm game was lucky to get 10,000 ppl, especially if it was held in Sydney.

Geez, thanks Einstein, I didn't say in my first post that that was why the pulled the pin on it did I?

Thanks for your amazing insight. :roll:.

Learn...to...f**king...read. More than the last post.

magpie_man

Juniors
Two Friday night games are necessary, it allows a game featuring a Queensland team to be beamed into Queensland live and a game featuring a NSW team to be beamed into NSW live. The ratings are too good to revert back to one game.
The 5:30pm Saturday game is rubbish, get rid of it. Stick with two games at 7:30pm with viewer's choice on Foxtel.
Three games on Sunday arvo, two played at 2pm and shown live on Foxtel with viewer's choice, the other played at 3pm and shown delayed on 9 at 4pm. Foxtel can do the viewers choice again at 7:30pm.
Then the Monday game.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The Saturday afternoon game was scrapped because of junior footy and the fact that most people couldn't go to games. 5:30pm is late enough so that kids can head over after they play.

Latest posts