What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titanic bid for PNG to coast in - Titans to be sold to PNG Consortium?

Trentosaurus

Juniors
Skilled Park is a great stadium, but it's too expensive and too hard to get to.

If they can solve the transport and cost issues then crowds numbers will improve regardless of on-field performance.

I know I don't go to anywhere near as many Titans games as I'd like because it's such a hassle getting there.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm assuming that the QLD state Govt got guarantees from the NRL and the Titans before they spent a $100 Million + on a brand new stadium three years ago...

BunniesMan

Immortal
I mean on the field. The deck has been stacked. Imagine if every one of the best 20 players to make a debut in the NRL over the next couple of years was put on the Perth Reds. Or if they got their pick of every single player in the Toyota cup system without any other team being able to sign them. And then add salary cap concessions on top of that to throw money at the best player in the comp to lead them. They'd be odds on to win multiple premierships over the next decade.

That's what the Suns have. In fact if they don't win multiple premierships this decade they should be considered a failure. And if the Gold Coast public is as fickle as people say (and I have little reason to believe they aren't) then in the coming years when the Suns should be on top of the ladder year in and year out, and the Tits are equally as likely to be spoon contenders in any given year than premiership contenders, it's going to be a bloody tough fight for the Tits. And if money is tight now, the fight for sponsors and crowds could put a shitload of pressure on their bottom line over the next few years.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Skilled Park is a great stadium, but it's too expensive and too hard to get to.

If they can solve the transport and cost issues then crowds numbers will improve regardless of on-field performance.

I know I don't go to anywhere near as many Titans games as I'd like because it's such a hassle getting there.

how is it that hard to get to?

Its right on the train line and they have park and ride bus services from about 4 different locations.

Ive never had any issues the 5-6 times Ive gone to games there

El Diablo

Post Whore
I mean on the field. The deck has been stacked. Imagine if every one of the best 20 players to make a debut in the NRL over the next couple of years was put on the Perth Reds. Or if they got their pick of every single player in the Toyota cup system without any other team being able to sign them. And then add salary cap concessions on top of that to throw money at the best player in the comp to lead them. They'd be odds on to win multiple premierships over the next decade.

That's what the Suns have. In fact if they don't win multiple premierships this decade they should be considered a failure. And if the Gold Coast public is as fickle as people say (and I have little reason to believe they aren't) then in the coming years when the Suns should be on top of the ladder year in and year out, and the Tits are equally as likely to be spoon contenders in any given year than premiership contenders, it's going to be a bloody tough fight for the Tits. And if money is tight now, the fight for sponsors and crowds could put a shitload of pressure on their bottom line over the next few years.

queerrz9.gif

Joker's Wild

Coach
lol indeed

All those concessions certainly helped the Garys to a respectable position on last seasons ladder ..............17th :lol:

BunniesMan

Immortal
lol indeed

All those concessions certainly helped the Garys to a respectable position on last seasons ladder ..............17th :lol:
They'll struggle their first two seasons. But their plan was never about their first two seasons. It's about the next 10 after that. The Tits need to get their act together both on and off field before that happens.

El Diablo

Post Whore
They'll struggle their first two seasons. But their plan was never about their first two seasons. It's about the next 10 after that. The Tits need to get their act together both on and off field before that happens.

they've made the 8 more than Souths lately and you're knocking them :lol:

BunniesMan

Immortal
they've made the 8 more than Souths lately and you're knocking them :lol:
Is this thread about Souths dickhead? This thread is about the Titans and their issues.

There is a thread in its 4th edition about Souths. This thread isn't about Souths.

The facts are the Tits have been financially stretched at times in their early years.

If in about 2013-14-15 the Tits aren't making the finals regularly and the Suns have won or are close to winning premierships that will hurt the sponsorship race. And if the Gold coast public is as fickle as people say they are and if they're bandwagoners then that'll hurt with crowds, potential members etc aswell.

That will lead the Tits to become even more financially stretched.

And on top of all that if we have a new team in SE QLD that'll be yet another competitor for eyeballs and sponsors dollars.

The question was, will they fold. They won't but they could become a burden on the NRL if they require special funding to keep up. They might even end up selling games to PNG.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
That's what the Suns have. In fact if they don't win multiple premierships this decade they should be considered a failure.

And yet AFL fans still don't get why their 'competition' is a joke.

If the Suns don't get a :lol:flag:lol: within three years, I wouldn't put it past the AFL to start poisoning the other teams players before Suns matches.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Cant see the titans folding. If they even came close you could bet your mortage the NRL would move heaven and earth to help them

Canard

Immortal

Its right on the train line and they have park and ride bus services from about 4 different locations.

The train doesn't serve the major population centres of the Gold Coast, its great if you want to come from Brisbane, but not Broadbeach, Surfers, Miami, Southport etc.

Its a 30 to 40min bus ride from Pacific Fair through winding surburban streets.

Thats not a big deal if you are used to city commuting (like Sydney and Melbourne) but just not accepted by regional Australians who like to drive there cars within 10m of anywhere they want to go.

To the casual fan, this combined with NRL highest priced tickets is affecting the crowds.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Cant see the titans folding. If they even came close you could bet your mortage the NRL would move heaven and earth to help them

Look - we need to stop pretending that the people who run the game have the same emotional, altruistic approach as most of the fans.

They don't.
Any Bears fan will tell who how "protective" the NRL is when things get tough.

As long as the game is run by people focussed on their own clubs (Politis) or media companies (Gallop), club falling over is really irrelevant.

Michael Searle got what he wanted 5 years back. If the Titans fell over tomorrow, he would simply wash his hands, shrug his shoulders then ring Gallop up and get a job as "strategic director for future planning and ambience" at the NRL.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Look - we need to stop pretending that the people who run the game have the same emotional, altruistic approach as most of the fans.

They don't.
Any Bears fan will tell who how "protective" the NRL is when things get tough.

As long as the game is run by people focussed on their own clubs (Politis) or media companies (Gallop), club falling over is really irrelevant.

Michael Searle got what he wanted 5 years back. If the Titans fell over tomorrow, he would simply wash his hands, shrug his shoulders then ring Gallop up and get a job as "strategic director for future planning and ambience" at the NRL.

Regardless of emotion etc... It would damage the game to no end commercially so the league would not let it happen on those grounds alone.

I see Buckley hinting the FFA would seek to re-negotiate some of their stadium deals to bring down operating costs at a-league clubs. Why havent we seen anyhing publicly like this from the Titans/NRL as that alone appears to be their biggest issue

Trentosaurus

Juniors

It only suits people who live or are staying close. The train is a good option except it takes forever if you're not on the Gold Coast. Try coming down from Brisbane for a Friday night game. You'll have to leave by 3:30pm and won't get home until midnight.

The Titans need to grow their fanbase beyond just the local Gold Coast area if they are to get their crowd numbers respectable. The Broncos attract fans from all over south east Qld and the Titans should be able to as well. Just local fans isn't sustainable.

The train doesn't serve the major population centres of the Gold Coast, its great if you want to come from Brisbane, but not Broadbeach, Surfers, Miami, Southport etc.

Its a 30 to 40min bus ride from Pacific Fair through winding surburban streets.

Thats not a big deal if you are used to city commuting (like Sydney and Melbourne) but just not accepted by regional Australians who like to drive there cars within 10m of anywhere they want to go.

To the casual fan, this combined with NRL highest priced tickets is affecting the crowds.
EDIT - Didn't see this post, but it contributes to my thoughts.

There are very few people who benefit from the current transport arrangements.

Last edited:

Latest posts