What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titanic bid for PNG to coast in - Titans to be sold to PNG Consortium?

Canard

Immortal
If it were that simple, why wouldn't he have brought the best bid in at the time, and offered other clubs $ to relocate to the GC instead?
I suggest that it's partly because after having removed the bears a decade ago, it would've been an embarrassing backflip to concede that they should have been re-admitted (especially since only a couple of years previously the bunnies made a comeback). I think its (at least in part) a face-saving exercise for Gallop. If someone other than the bears successfully managed to claim the central coast, he wouldn't be left in the position of having to admit past mistakes.
If he'd accepted the best bid at the time, he still could've offered for a team to relocate to the GC, and still would've been able to remove a sydney team.
As for a relocation being more about reducing the number of Sydney teams than anything else - if you were to listen to most people in here, it wouldn't make a difference, since Gosford is apparently next to Gordon or Turramurra (or may as well be, since it is part of Sydney). Some people in this forum would have you believe that nothing would change if a Sydney team relocated to Gosford (there's still the same number of "Sydney" teams), yet in the same breath tell you that if a struggling club moved, it would solve all the overcrowding problems! I gave up fighting that particular argument a while ago. However, if it was all about removing a Sydney team as you say PR, then more effort should've been exerted trying to find a team to move to the GC instead of introducing the Titans.

You realise your claim about the CC being the best bid is just your opinion and not a fact.

bobmar28

Bench
I do, and you're right. But it has never been widely disputed. The general consensus has been that the titans got lucky.

Got lucky? Open your eyes. If they missed out and the Bears got in the whole of SEQ would have been left with one team while the Sydney region would have had 10.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Got lucky? Open your eyes. If they missed out and the Bears got in the whole of SEQ would have been left with one team while the Sydney region would have had 10.

Imagine the outcry if a population centre of 600K in rugby league heartland didn't have an NRL team but had an AFL team, as would have been the case this year.

If anything history suggest the Titans were very UNLUCKY to not be admitted even earlier than they were.

El Diablo

Post Whore
they should never have been killed off when they were the Chargers

they still had money and were lending to Newcastle

They need to do something about their crowds... I know its something thats been said a million times but they grossly exagerated numbers last season to save embarrasment.

Bring back the fans...They are out there

gUt

Coach
The Gold Coast is populated mainly by holiday makers, criminals and Victorians.

Canard

Immortal
I was at the stadium last weekend watching the sevens with some Kiwi mates. (Best atheletes in the world according to some posters on here).

Other than the fact that 7's gets bloody monontonous after 3 or 4 games, what I noticed most was how bloody hard it was to get to the stadium.

We had to wait for a bus for 30mins or so then it took about that long to get to Robina.

I imagine on a Fri night this would really cut down crowds. Its a shame cause its a great little stadium

Joker's Wild

Coach
Their ticket prices are amongst the highest in the game due to the Qld Gov charging a motsa for ground rental. I wonder what they charge the Garys to play out of Carara?

BunniesMan

Immortal
They've already needed advances on their NRL grants. If they have an equally bad year the fickle GC public could turn away even more.

At least with the Suns the Gold Coast public has a virtual guarantee of future success. No such luck with the Tits.

But as for the question of them folding? I can't see that happening. They'll have enough money thrown at them in the form of "advances" or selling games to PNG etc etc. Hard to imagine they'll fold.

If they did it would be a catastrophic setback.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Their ticket prices are amongst the highest in the game due to the Qld Gov charging a motsa for ground rental. I wonder what they charge the Garys to play out of Carara?

Seeing how all the government departments seem to be sucking up to the AFL lately, it wouldn't surprise me if they pay the Garys to play there.

Joker's Wild

Coach
They've already needed advances on their NRL grants. If they have an equally bad year the fickle GC public could turn away even more.

At least with the Suns the Gold Coast public has a virtual guarantee of future success. No such luck with the Tits.

But as for the question of them folding? I can't see that happening. They'll have enough money thrown at them in the form of "advances" or selling games to PNG etc etc. Hard to imagine they'll fold.

If they did it would be a catastrophic setback.

lol Wot?