What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans bid to land Bird

Eelectrica

Referee
Forget for a second the assault if you can, why bring in one of the most hated personalities in Qld to a team looking for Queensland support? In such a tight market with a war being waged with us from all sides, including AFL Soccer Broncos ect, why give them ammunition?

Any Queensland supporter who was slowly drifting over to the Titans support base will be gone, any casual supporter who doesnt know much about league or Bird will be swayed by negative press, and it doesnt matter if he did it or not, perception will be the key.

In classic Game theory, it is a bad move. The only positive result would be a premiership, and i am not sold that he will be the difference between getting one or not.

I agree with all that. I am a member and will be very disappointed if the Titans sign him. Maybe their is more to this than meets the eye, I don't know, we only know what we hear. But in this case whatever the real truth - perception is reality. The perception is Bird is one of the bad guys.
I don't know how he can turn that around and become a good guy.

Most guys know that glassing anyone let alone your girlfriend ain't cool no matter what.

Why can't souths sign him. Rusty and Bird would be good together I think.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Write to Searle Eelectrica!

Encourage other members to do the same. We (the majority of RL fans) want him out of the game for good.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I'd love to see him at the Titans. Might be a case of out of sight, out of mind, but i remember him as incredibly tough and unforgiving on the field. He'd be great to have and is a guy I could see delivering each and every game.

I wouldn't hold whats happened against him. I put more weight in the impartial judgement of the NSW district court than the reports that come out of the news paper.

Charlie124

First Grade
Then you'll love this, and so will I.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...d-after-backflip/story-e6frexnr-1225804938868

Titans' free shot at Bird after backflip

960119-greg-bird-gold-coast-titans.jpg

Source: The Daily Telegraph

NORTH Queensland have pulled out of the race for Greg Bird, leaving the Gold Coast Titans a free shot to sign the controversial former Test star.

Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr is expected to advise his board and coach Neil Henry today against offering Bird a contract just days after football manager Dean Lance phoned Bird to discuss coming to the club.
Parr was tightlipped when contacted last night, saying the Cowboys had yet to formally decide whether to make a play for him. "I'll have some more discussions with Neil and members of our board over the next few days and then early next week we'll make a final decision on whether we make a formal offer or not," Parr said.
It leaves the Titans as the only club interested in offering Bird a path back to the NRL. French club Catalans, where Bird has spent the past 12 months, remain confident he will return after offering a $500,000 two-year deal on Friday night.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Coach Kevin Walters phoned Bird last Thursday to discuss his captain's situation. Bird was keen to play alongside Johnathan Thurston at the Cowboys, believing their combination would help in his bid to reclaim his Test and Origin jerseys. But a pairing with Scott Prince would be a fair consolation prize.
Bird is likely to meet with Titans coach John Cartwright on Thursday. However, Bird won't be rushed into a decision and is content to take his time before deciding what his future holds.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Fantastic signing. Will give the team a bit of grit. Really is a top class signing, the Gold Coast have done really well with picking up talented players when it seems no one else can afford them. Will put his all into every game.

The Dodger

First Grade
Definately a good bet because as we all know, wherever Greg Bird goes, premierships soon follow :sarcasm:

Unlucky, Titans.

lol

its like your trying to desperately convince everyone to agree with you.

great signing, im glad it was the titans and not the other two scummy qld teams.

Charlie124

First Grade
lol

its like your trying to desperately convince everyone to agree with you.

great signing, im glad it was the titans and not the other two scummy qld teams.

LOL, well mate according to the other thread, everyone (or at least the vast majority) does agree with me. You, some Sharks fans, and a handful of others seem to be the only ones singing his praises.

Boofhead

Juniors
1. William Zillman
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Mat Rogers
4. Clinton Toopi
5. David Mead
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Aaron Cannings
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Ashley Harrison
13. Greg Bird

14. Michael Henderson
15. Brad Meyers
16. Mark Minichiello
17. Luke O'Dwyer

Talanexor

Juniors
1. William Zillman
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Mat Rogers
4. Clinton Toopi
5. David Mead
6. Preston Campbell
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Nathan Friend
10. Aaron Cannings
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Ashley Harrison
13. Greg Bird

14. Michael Henderson
15. Brad Meyers
16. Mark Minichiello
17. Luke O'Dwyer

18. Esi Tonga -> Cowboys... I'd be happy with that.

Campbell - even Rogers - is a better 5/8, and you've got a decent backrow already. Maybe lack a bit of depth there, I suppose, but that's the only reason I can think of why you'd want Bird.

Good luck to you.

Charlie124

First Grade
It sucks having to watch your team play and hating one or more of your own players. I've been there with Sione Faumuina, Scott Minto and Shannon Heggarty.

Latest posts