What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans bid to land Bird

aussies1st

Staff member
5/8 seems to be a spot you guys are changing around so Bird could go there. Minichiello is just too good for the bench and he won't get much game time with Harrison, Bird and Laffranchi all 80 minute players.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Greg Bird signs with Gold Coast Titans
Written by: League News
Dec 7, 2009 10:49am

Former Cronulla Sharks bad boy Greg Bird will return to the NRL competition in 2010 after signing a one year deal with the Gold Coast Titans. Bird knocked back a massive offer from the Catalans Dragons to re-join the National Rugby League.

The NRL approved the deal today in a move that will see Bird play for one season with the club, with three future one-year options available. It is likely that he will partner skipper Scott Prince in the halves, with Mat Rogers playing the year in the centres.

Bird last played in the NRL in 2008 before he was found guilty of assault against girlfriend Katie Milligan. He spent last season playing for the Catalans Dragons club, helping them to the late stages of the English Super League competition.

Following an appeal, Bird was found innocent of assault last month. It was rumoured that both Brisbane and North Queensland were interested in signing him, but Gold Coast have won the battle for his signature.

Titans Media Release for Monday, December 7, 2009:

Bird to resume NRL career with Titans

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans are pleased to announce the signing of Australian and NSW representative Greg Bird.

Bird made his first appearance at Jetstar Titans training today after both parties agreed to the terms of a uniquely structured contract.

Bird has signed a one-year deal for next season which comes with an option every year for the next three seasons – making it a potential four-year deal.

The agreement will require Bird to meet the strict requirements of the Jetstar Titans’ Code of Conduct and the NRL’s guidelines relating to player behaviour. The contract will be put forward to the NRL today.

The deal eventuated after a formal approach was made to Bird following consultation with Titans players and other club officials over his potential signing.

Jetstar Titans Managing Director Michael Searle said despite the off-field controversy which has followed Bird over the past 15 months, his recent acquittal had to be taken on face value as the 25-year-old looks to revive his NRL career.

“We accept the verdict of the court recently but at the same time, Greg is the first to admit he has some issues that he has to put behind him,’’ said Searle.

“After speaking with both he and his partner Katie, we feel the Jetstar Titans is the best possible place for him to do that as they seek assistance in dealing with certain aspects of their life.

“The club has had a good track record with regards to off-field player behaviour and we feel that we can assist him as he looks to achieve his own personal goals.

“We accept the responsibility the NRL has placed on clubs when signing players who have had off-field incidents in the past and Greg will be expected to abide by the strict Code of Conduct the Titans already have in place.

“It must be stressed that we would not do anything to put the reputation of this club in jeopardy. Further to that, members of the first grade squad gave their full support towards Greg being offered an opportunity with the club.’’

Bird said he was excited to be given the chance to again play in the NRL after he was forced to play in the UK Super League with French club Les Catalans while he awaited his recent appeal hearing.

“It has been a trying period for everyone involved but I’m excited that I can now look forward to next season with the Titans,’’ said Bird.

“The Titans are an impressive club and I can’t wait to start training with the team.

“I also have family on the Gold Coast so that is another reason why I view the Titans as being the right fit.’’

Bird has played more than 100 first grade games for Cronulla (2002-2008) and has also represented Australian (2 Tests) and NSW (4 State of Origin appearances).

He has the size, skill and versatility to be able to play at five-eighth or in the backrow – an asset that Jetstar Titans coach John Cartwright said would further strengthen the club’s roster.

“Greg has proven to be a gutsy competitor at the highest level so he will bring a real hunger to win with him to the Titans,’’ said Cartwright.

“He is still just 25 years of age and I believe his best football is in front of him.’’

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=18697

Titanic

First Grade
we've got him, we'll have to deal with him and let's hope that he's turned the corner.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
I am glad it would our QLD cousins and not us (Brisbane) signing this grub. Michael Searle has gone against his original 'sign the person before the player' policy. It's on him if his new "star signing" stuffs up.

The Dodger

First Grade
what on field incidents has bird done apart from kneeing a guy back 10 years ago when he was like 18 years old?

if you guys think he is such a grub, please list all the on field and off field incidents from him.

then what we will do, is compare him with some other players and see how he ranks compared to them.

what do ya's reckon?

farkn whinging bastaards, i'd be stoked if he was on my team.

lets see how many change their minds come sepetember next year.

Charlie124

First Grade
I cant think of many acts lower than trying to blame a vicious attack on a woman on a close mate, then lying to police about it.
I guess assaulting a woman yourself would be up there on that list too, but Greg is still facing a different case involving that too isnt he? guess he has it all covered.

Feej

First Grade
If you guys don't want him, I'd gladly have him back at the Sharks. When you guys win the big one before us, he'll be a big part of it.

Coastbloke

Bench
Don't forget Bird's latest scandal..

This will kill League no doubt..

Greg Bird was seen having a beer on a summer day at the races..He had another beer in his other hand because...

a) He was holding it for a mate who was in the head..

b) He hates queues..

But luckily the intrepid pr!cks..sorry..reporters...in the Sunday Terroristgraph saw it what it was really for..

Thirstiness...

..And it was Corona..Lucky there was no lemon in it, otherwise I would have taken the side of the peanut media..